Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2016 10:29:41 AM EDT
I am seeing ads for Polish and I think Hungarian or possibly Bulgarian non metal slab side magazines for the AK47.  Prices are pretty decent, but are the magazines any good?

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The Polish mags were my go to for 10+ years before switching over to Pmags as my primaries. Never had any issues with them at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bulgarian mags you're referencing are just basic polymer mags. They're the same as the old "bullet mags", they've just smoothed out the sides. They do have metal reinforced feed lips but, as you noted, no metal at the locking lugs. For a polymer range mag I'd just as soon buy Tapcos. The Bulgarians feel hard and brittle to me (though I've never cracked/broken the one I own).
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Bulgarian mags you're referencing are just basic polymer mags. They're the same as the old "bullet mags", they've just smoothed out the sides. They do have metal reinforced feed lips but, as you noted, no metal at the locking lugs. For a polymer range mag I'd just as soon buy Tapcos. The Bulgarians feel hard and brittle to me (though I've never cracked/broken the one I own).
View Quote

^ This is good advice !
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had any problems with my Tapco slab sides...  FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
My only complaint with the Tapcos is they don't lock into my SLR95.  Only mag I have issues with, though I will say mag fit on that gun in general is really tight so probably won't be an issue for most people.  Not one of my favorites (my favorite general use range mags are 20 round Magpuls or Hungarian tankers, and milsurp steel for SHTF) but for the price it's worth owning a few as beaters to keep in a range bag.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing beats steal for hard use but I've never broken a tapco slab side.

I've heard the "bullet" mags have brittle polymer.  Anecdotally, though.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top