Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/24/2016 9:56:50 PM EDT
I just got a bakelite AKM magazine from AIM and unfortunately it does not have steel in the feed lips like my other two do.  From reading, it appears that in later copies this was normal. Is it safe to store loaded, or will the feed lips crack or spread?  I'm kinda bummed out spending that much on a non reinforced magazine. I could have gotten a brand new Bulgarian waffle in much better condition for the same price
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought it was the other way around, that the earlier models didn't have the steel lips. Looking through my collection with both Tula and Izhmash mags with a spine are hit and miss for having steel feed lips. All of my flat backs have them. Bakelites with "spines" are earlier models.

EIther way your magazine will be fine. The Russians wouldn't have fielded them if they weren't up to snuff. The material bakelite is made out of is stronger than the commercial plastic mags.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I also personally wouldn't want to leave bakelites w/out steel feed lips loaded for longer periods of time.  Solution: do what I do and leave all steel mags loaded.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't buy bakelites for functionality. Functionality is just the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't buy bakelites for functionality. Functionality is just the icing on the cake.
View Quote

Well this bakelite is in worse condition than my two steel lipped versions, so it's probably the least collectable.  I guess I could just use it at the range if I load it there?  I've been keeping all my range mags loaded ahead of time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well this bakelite is in worse condition than my two steel lipped versions, so it's probably the least collectable.  I guess I could just use it at the range if I load it there?  I've been keeping all my range mags loaded ahead of time.
View Quote

Just keep it loaded. If it cracks, take pics and post them. I can't remember ever seeing any.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
You will never crack that bakelite keeping it loaded it or while using it at the range, if you do I will pay you $10. %100 serious.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't I read somewhere that the non steel reinforced lip ones were actually weaker, since the plastic has to be thinner to make room for the steel?
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top