Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 5:32:03 PM EDT
Just got one of these guys in from what a country. The thing is absolutely drenched in cosmoline. Should I wipe it off at all or leave it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to use it, you'd better clean it. If you're going to stash it, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Turns out the fucker won't fit in my WASR 10 magwell. Damn it. Is this common amongst WASRs?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Possessing a hammer and file file are prerequisites for AK ownership, so minor fitment issues are normal. The question is, in what way does your drum not fit?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possessing a hammer and file file are prerequisites for AK ownership, so minor fitment issues are normal. The question is, in what way does your drum not fit?
View Quote

Seems like it goes in right but it doesn't "click" in. It seemed like the tab on the mag may not be long enough to engage the magazine lock. I guess it could be the drum (which would make more sense IMO never had issues with Chinese steel flatbacks, Russkie bakes, Polish or Bulgarian surplus steel or even crapco all poly mags) , I'll have to compare it to some steel mags. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms I'm not all that technically smart so to speak.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seems like it goes in right but it doesn't "click" in. It seemed like the tab on the mag may not be long enough to engage the magazine lock. I guess it could be the drum (which would make more sense IMO never had issues with Chinese steel flatbacks, Russkie bakes, Polish or Bulgarian surplus steel or even crapco all poly mags) , I'll have to compare it to some steel mags. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms I'm not all that technically smart so to speak.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your magwell to see if the double stack conversion wasn't done cleanly - you may need to dress the back of the magazine well, in front of the trigger guard, with a file.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The top loading drums would never lock in all the way, had to file the very back of the magwell heavily.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Check your magwell to see if the double stack conversion wasn't done cleanly - you may need to dress the back of the magazine well, in front of the trigger guard, with a file.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/magwel/magw1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have scrolled more, precisely this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay I found the archived post where you got that image from. So it looks like the mag well needs to be smooth all the way up to the trigger guard? What kind of a file would work best for this? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay I found the archived post where you got that image from. So it looks like the mag well needs to be smooth all the way up to the trigger guard? What kind of a file would work best for this? Thanks for the help.
View Quote

I'd start with a regular old mill file. If the file doesn't cut (that area of the receiver might or might not be hardened), then you'd need to try a dremel or maybe a dressing stone, instead
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got two of those top-loader drums. One eventually locked in my AES-10B after I worked it back and forth a couple hundred times. Filing the well for the other one is on the project list.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't believe it. I've had a Romanian top loader for the past year and a half and I could never get it to load in either of my WASR 10/63s. It fits perfectly in my SGL26, but it kept getting hung up in the back on my WASRs. Took a closer look at inserting it and whatdaya know? It's just like the image Circuits posted. Thanks a million!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't believe it. I've had a Romanian top loader for the past year and a half and I could never get it to load in either of my WASR 10/63s. It fits perfectly in my SGL26, but it kept getting hung up in the back on my WASRs. Took a closer look at inserting it and whatdaya know? It's just like the image Circuits posted. Thanks a million!
View Quote

Just took a file to mine for about 3 minutes and cleaned it up enough for it to fit. Easy squeezy
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top