Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/10/2016 2:14:17 PM EDT
Just purchased my first AK, a new Romanian WASR-10 in 7.62x39mm, and I'm curious if anyone knows what mags work best?

Also if you know of any good deals for the mags you suggest, that would be great!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
best mags; steel military surplus mags.  period, end of story.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto.  

Or for more money/coolness you got bakelites...  For the money?  any steel surplus.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
best mags; steel military surplus mags.  period, end of story.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I ran pmags through my last two and they ran fine, but they were older versions.
They newer ones are better built from what I hear.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I ended up buying one from aimsurplus.com since it's free shipping.  If it doesn't work well, I'll buy steel mags:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MMAG572BLK&name=Magpul+PMAG%C2%AE+30+AK%2fAKM+MOE%C2%AE+7.62X39MM+-+Black&groupid=15
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ended up buying one from aimsurplus.com since it's free shipping.  If it doesn't work well, I'll buy steel mags:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MMAG572BLK&name=Magpul+PMAG%C2%AE+30+AK%2fAKM+MOE%C2%AE+7.62X39MM+-+Black&groupid=15
View Quote

Polymer mags with no steel reinforcement tabs

Get yourself some steel surplus mags before the election or you might not get any ever. Stay away from the new Croatian commercial mags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Kind of. A polish mag is manufactured with very high quality, but at that price the condition is not the best since they are well used.

I got another 20 about a month ago. At least half of them had dents that interfered with follower travel or the bottom flanges had damage that made floor plate removal difficult. All of them had some level of rust on the inside. Some had the floor plates put on backwards and none of them had the spring properly inserted into the follower.

All of them were fixable, but I still am spending quite a bit of time getting them up to shape.

ETA: They are a good mag and this close to the election, quantity might be more important since you can make them work.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kind of. A polish mag is manufactured with very high quality, but at that price the condition is not the best since they are well used.

I got another 20 about a month ago. At least half of them had dents that interfered with follower travel or the bottom flanges had damage that made floor plate removal difficult. All of them had some level of rust on the inside. Some had the floor plates put on backwards and none of them had the spring properly inserted into the follower.

All of them were fixable, but I still am spending quite a bit of time getting them up to shape.

ETA: They are a good mag and this close to the election, quantity might be more important since you can make them work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you have another suggestion?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to know as well since I just purchased a new wasr 10.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really see an issue with the AIM polish mags (other than the copious amounts of paint); surplus is...well...surplus. If you simply can't live with that then get some of the "like new" Hungarian surplus mags from WhatACountry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
So, I bought 8 of the Polish mags from AIM and not one of them will lock into my WASR.  Had this same problem with the Croatian mags from PSA.  This is getting old. . .

I have 1 PMAG that works just fine and I have 2 oddball surplus mags of unknown origin that work just fine as well.  What am I missing here?  I'm going to try and return the Polish mags to AIM and eat the shipping and the 3% restock.

What to try next?  Croatian mags from Apex?  Apex also had a European 3 piece mags with pouch deal for $40 that I was looking at.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless you really need the money now I'd just hold on to the mags. If this election doesn't turn in our favor then you can always resale for more.

WASR's can be picky sometimes . You may have better luck just going with the Pmags that work in your rifle now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
As I said in the other thread, it's senseless to get rid of them (especially if you have to pay return shipping and a restocking fee) when they're SO easy to make work. If yours are like everyone else's, the fitment issues you're experiencing are due to overly-thick paint. Just knock some paint off of wherever you're getting interference and live happily ever after.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As I said in the other thread, it's senseless to get rid of them (especially if you have to pay return shipping and a restocking fee) when they're SO easy to make work. If yours are like everyone else's, the fitment issues you're experiencing are due to overly-thick paint. Just knock some paint off of wherever you're getting interference and live happily ever after.
View Quote

I'll try this one one first and see how it works. You're right that it's probably best to just hang onto them for now.  

Should I file on top of the rear locking lug? That's where it makes sense to me. . .
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll try this one one first and see how it works. You're right that it's probably best to just hang onto them for now.  

Should I file on top of the rear locking lug? That's where it makes sense to me. . .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends on where you're getting interference. In most cases I suspect it's the bottom of the rear locking lug that needs attention. But, again, your particular rifle/mag fit might be different. Is it not locking in, or is it not inserting?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That depends on where you're getting interference. In most cases I suspect it's the bottom of the rear locking lug that needs attention. But, again, your particular rifle/mag fit might be different. Is it not locking in, or is it not inserting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They weren't locking in.  I took some of the thick paint off of the top of the lug and then they would latch enough that I couldn't pull them out.  Then I took a little off the back of the lug and the underside and they seem to be working pretty well now.  I've only done 3 so far, but all 3 now lock into the rifle and I think they will get even better once they wear in. There are some other points of contact due to the thick paint, but I think that will wear down with normal use and "break in" just fine.

Thanks for all the tips.  Glad I didn't send these back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably the best buy and really for months now, is the Hungarians at Whatacountry. Superb mags, good price, getting more expensive though so I would grab 'em while you can. Even their used mags are in great shape with mostly just finish wear, but they also have brand spanking new ones still in the wrap.

ETA: Re:polish mags with too-thick paint : Take 'em to somebody with a blasting cabinet and get all that crap off, combloc re-sprays are notoriously goopy, I don't think they even actually spray 'em, they dunk 'em in a bucket of paint and drip-dry.

When they are all clean, spray lightly two thin coats of cheap buck-a-can paint from home depot, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so in oven. Boom, done.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top