Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2016 7:27:54 PM EDT
I just purchased a couple of Arsenal AK's and want to buy 20 mags for each ASAP. I am not terribly knowledgeable about AK mags. I was hoping to find some Comblock steel, but not sure what is available right now. What do you guys recommend getting and from where? Somewhere around $15/each is what I was thinking?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
pmag from aim
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pmag from aim
View Quote

You are recommending the plastic Pmag over steel?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What's your purpose? Long term storage? Heavy use? Rainy day? Budget?

I like GI mags for general use and long term storage. I use PMags on concrete floors when not using a dump pouch cause they feed lips on G.I. mags will bend and crack if dropped on a hard surface enough times. I also keep some lancer mags on hand cause they use the best of both worlds with a plastic body and spring steel feed lips.

If i needed 40 more mags right now, I would order 40 G.I. mags from DSG or SAA

There is no shortage of great reasonably priced options right now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like GI mags for general use and long term storage. I use PMags on concrete floors when not using a dump pouch cause they feed lips will bend and crack if dropped on a hard surface enough times. I also keep some lancer mags on hand cause they use the best of both worlds with a plastic body and spring steel feed lips.

View Quote

I'm looking for some mags that I can use, use, use and some to store loaded. I don't want to cheap out on mags. You are talking AK mags and not AR mags, correct?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm looking for some mags that I can use, use, use and some to store loaded. I don't want to cheap out on mags. You are talking AK mags and not AR mags, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like GI mags for general use and long term storage. I use PMags on concrete floors when not using a dump pouch cause they feed lips will bend and crack if dropped on a hard surface enough times. I also keep some lancer mags on hand cause they use the best of both worlds with a plastic body and spring steel feed lips.

I was talking AR mags, my fault.

I ordered 10 hungarian steel mags from SGAmmo.com a while back and they have worked great. I stay away from plastic in my AK. I've had the plastic feedlips crack on both the PMag and the "reinforced" PMag after some real use.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two Arsenals myself, if I was going to spend $600 on mags for them, I would get as many Bularian Circle 10 polymer mags as I could. I would think that you could probably get 13 or 14 of them new and if you looked on the EE or found some used ones, I think you could get close to 20 mags. 10 apiece is a good start. I know its not the 40 mags you want but you spent the money to get top of the line AK's, you might as well get  the magazines that are made for them, which happen to be some of the best mags out there. They make 40 rounders too, don'f forget to get a couple of those.  Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
While it would be incorrect to say that combloc steel mags are anything but plentiful, the best bulk-deals seem to have dried up. WhatACountry still has good prices on 10-packs of Hungarians. Forty "used" mags will only cost you $440. Even in "like new" condition you're still only talking about $600 for 40 mags.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While it would be incorrect to say that combloc steel mags are anything but plentiful, the best bulk-deals seem to have dried up.
View Quote

What did they used to be back in the day? I haven't been an AK owner that long.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just purchased a couple of Arsenal AK's and want to buy 20 mags for each ASAP. I am not terribly knowledgeable about AK mags. I was hoping to find some Comblock steel, but not sure what is available right now. What do you guys recommend getting and from where? Somewhere around $15/each is what I was thinking?
View Quote

Would help to specify caliber. If 7.62 I vote the steel 30s from Aim Polish ones I believe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Would help to specify caliber. If 7.62 I vote the steel 30s from Aim Polish ones I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Polish mags from AIM take an ENORMOUS amount of work to bring up to decent shape. It takes me about 10-15 minutes per mag to get them in working order.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The Polish ones looked great, but wouldn't fit in my DDI AK and I didn't want to attempt surgery.  This was true for all of the mags I picked up - 10 I believe.  Sample of one gun, but anyway Magpul worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

While it would be incorrect to say that combloc steel mags are anything but plentiful, the best bulk-deals seem to have dried up. WhatACountry still has good prices on 10-packs of Hungarians. Forty "used" mags will only cost you $440. Even in "like new" condition you're still only talking about $600 for 40 mags.
View Quote
^ I bought some of the WhatACountry mags.  Excellent mags at a decent price (like new $15ea).  

If you dare to wait until after the election, there will probably be some Black Friday sales on AK mags.  Last year Palmetto State had AK Pmags for $6 each.  

Also, pick up at least a few 20 round mags.  Just because.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While it would be incorrect to say that combloc steel mags are anything but plentiful, the best bulk-deals seem to have dried up.

That all depends on how far you want to go back. There are plenty of folks who'd love to bore you with stories of the "golden years" when they could get 20 mags, a shot of whiskey, a steak, and a whore for just a nickel.

But up until fairly recently SGAmmo was a good go-to source. For the longest time they used to sell 10-packs for something like $79.95 ($89.95 in the later period). A lot of us stocked up on that long-running offer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I found hungarians rust fastest
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found hungarians rust fastest
View Quote

I have a few Korean mags that rusted sitting in my safe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Polish mags from AIM take an ENORMOUS amount of work to bring up to decent shape. It takes me about 10-15 minutes per mag to get them in working order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? I haven't had an issue in my WASR.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you having to do to them??

all I have done is break them down to inspect them and then wipe them down and reassemble.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I ended up buying a whole bunch of Bulgarian. Tested every one in both Arsenals and they all mount and load just fine. Not sure what the forum thinks about Bulgarian mags but they seem good to go to me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ended up buying a whole bunch of Bulgarian. Tested every one in both Arsenals and they all mount and load just fine. Not sure what the forum thinks about Bulgarian mags but they seem good to go to me.
View Quote

Are you talking about the ones with polymer followers? I have heard nothing but good things about them. In fact, I'd be willing to say they are the best steel "commercial" mags available.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:34:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Croat steel blems from PSA. $7ea, shipped, if you buy 20...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Croat steel blems from PSA. $7ea, shipped, if you buy 20...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

They aren't all that good when they aren't blems.

I'd skip them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]
whatacountry Hungarians
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
whatacountry Hungarians
View Quote

This. The new ones are literally still in the paper wrap. Parked, for longevity squirt some paint over it and bake 'em.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top