Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2016 2:46:00 AM EDT
What did you get?

I ordered one just to complete an AKMS clone project and was not particular what type / variation of magazine came in.

Thought i would share what came in for those who might be interested.

Izmash version three, ridgeback mag with no metal reinforcement in the feed lip area. Condition appeared to be like new but possibly inserted a few times. Inspection stamps are present. There is light rust on the floor plate as well as the locking plate and magazine spring. Definately not as nice as what is seen on their website, but ok for my purposes. Far nicer than the well used version four magazine I used to own...

The follower and locking plate are blued and the floor plate is black parkerized. Interestingly, it is of the raised "goal post" variety, but has the "Y" shaped wings in the square locking tab opening like the earlier flat floor plates. There is a raised tab in the "Y" area that appears to be there as a reinforcement. I have not seen this variation described before. Any collectors care to comment on this variation? Transition style from the flat to the raised types?

Overall, it came to exactly $51.00 with shipping. Not complaining about the price, but a little disappointed with the rust.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What did you get?

I ordered one just to complete an AKMS clone project and was not particular what type / variation of magazine came in.

Thought i would share what came in for those who might be interested.

Izmash version three, ridgeback mag with no metal reinforcement in the feed lip area. Condition appeared to be like new but possibly inserted a few times. Inspection stamps are present. There is light rust on the floor plate as well as the locking plate and magazine spring. Definately not as nice as what is seen on their website, but ok for my purposes. Far nicer than the well used version four magazine I used to own...

The follower and locking plate are blued and the floor plate is black parkerized. Interestingly, it is of the raised "goal post" variety, but has the "Y" shaped wings in the square locking tab opening like the earlier flat floor plates. There is a raised tab in the "Y" area that appears to be there as a reinforcement. I have not seen this variation described before. Any collectors care to comment on this variation? Transition style from the flat to the raised types?

Overall, it came to exactly $51.00 with shipping. Not complaining about the price, but a little disappointed with the rust.
View Quote

I would be irritated. There is plenty of private users with good feedback on AKfiles that charge  $40 and flat rate box/bag shipping for barely used bakes.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I was about to order some from AIM myself but found local shops that carried them for about the same price. Good thing as I got to choose the nicest looking ones, all properly reinforced Izhvesk mags. I would be annoyed as well paying for shipping and getting some rusty mags. The rusted ones I saw at the store earlier were $10 cheaper, was tempted but I didn't want to deal with busting rust then refinishing the steel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered one, got it yesterday, it had rust, I probably won't order another.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please get back on topic, Bakelite mags.

The ones that don't get rusty.

View Quote

* except for the parts on them that are made of steel and do get rusty...

Had I ordered a bunch to use, then I would have contacted AIM. Since this is basically a display mag for my safe queen AKMS clone, it's not worth the hassle. The rust is light, no pitting, nothing a little oil and elbow grease won't fix.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top