Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/7/2016 1:28:30 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm new to AKs and just ordered my first from Lee Armory (Polish Premium) I am learning about parts and accessories and am interested in Bakelite Magazines. Where is a good place to purchase a couple 30 rounders and possibly a 40? Also, I know there are several brands and different generations but not too familiar on what a good price is for which gen. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tom.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Primary makers of bakelite magazines: Izhmash (symbol is a triangle with an upward pointing arrow inside) and Tula (symbol is a star)

Great resource here: http://imgur.com/a/UHESH
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for rare and hard to get AK mags trentward86's PM info is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Me too, I want some bakies!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
They show up in the EE pretty often.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
send me a PM too!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primary makers of bakelite magazines: Izhmash (symbol is a triangle with an upward pointing arrow inside) and Tula (symbol is a star)

Great resource here: http://imgur.com/a/UHESH
View Quote

Wow, I never realized that my gallery would make it out of Reddit (where I first submitted it to r/AK47).

I picked up every single 30 round bakelite magazine in my collection from a single dealer at gun shows. That way I could cherry pick the condition, origin arsenal, and variant.

I'm nearing the end of my collection of 40 round bakelites (I think).

Best place to find them online would be our own EE and various other AK related sale forums. Sometimes they can be scored at gun shows (hell, I got a decent looking Russian waffle mag this past weekend for cheap).
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
What has your experience been with prices of Bakelite mags at gun shows?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
PM sent.
View Quote

Never got a message from you on here. I don't know why though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone email me also, I could use a couple myself.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ditto on the PM. Finally getting my boy his AK this week, and he's looking for something different than the regular polymer or steel mags, though he plans to use the steel mags mostly. He wants the bakelite to keep in the gun to look nice with the wood stock.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I would also love a pm.

Just starting the baky fever
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

$45-65+, depending on vendor. I'd pay around $50 from the person I bought from, which was worth the premium over ordering from AIM surplus or SGAmmo as it allowed me to cherry pick the magazines (and no shipping).
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$45-65+, depending on vendor. I'd pay around $50 from the person I bought from, which was worth the premium over ordering from AIM surplus or SGAmmo as it allowed me to cherry pick the magazines (and no shipping).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a major AKM guy but I do own one, other than the weight difference why are these magazines so expensive compared to all steel ?  Are they that rare or is there a real functional superiority over other ComBloc magazines?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not a major AKM guy but I do own one, other than the weight difference why are these magazines so expensive compared to all steel ?  Are they that rare or is there a real functional superiority over other ComBloc magazines?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

they look cool as hell
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I only have one 7.62 bakelite, I really need to get around to getting some more soon.

I have three 5.45 bakelites and don't even have a 74.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm also interested in picking up a 7.62 bakelite Please PM me. I'm looking for one or two in pristine condition as at least one will be a gift for my father.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Could I please get a PM as well? Finally getting around to picking up some AK mags.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm also interested in picking up a 7.62 bakelite Please PM me. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#23]
For some reason I still haven't received any PM!! err I want a Bakelite! haha
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Hello everyone! I just noticed my name mentioned above last month. I currently have 5.45 and 7.62 mags of RU and Chinese origin. I get items in 7.62 and 5.45 from RU every month or so. Email me at [email protected] or through this website for any info on mags or parts/

-Vince
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Limited supply, high demand. Econ 101, really. Aesthetically, many find them nicer to look at too. I'm definitely in the "looks damned nice" camp.

There are some functional differences between AG-S4 (Bakelites) and steel mags. They're a few ounces lighter (not much), they're more resistant to corrosion, and they can be easily brought back into service if they take a ding hard enough to deform the mag walls without destroying the magazine. Compared to many polymer mags, they fit more like steel mags and tend to be better liked in mag wells.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't had the chance to check any shows in the area. Knowing past experiences with shows, they would be far too proud to be selling a bakelite and charge WAY more than they should.. seems to be that way here in Mississippi.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top