Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2016 4:49:39 PM EDT
I can't post pics, but I just found what appears to be a new phosphate finished 30 rd mag.
Looks to be either Russian or Hungarian by the pics I've seen on the net, but there are no stamps whatsoever.
It fits pretty tight in my Arsenal, and I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Oh, I'm not sure I like beating up the finish on my new $1000 AK with steel mags.
Which affordable poly mags would be good for casual shooting, Tapco or Magpul?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Oh, I'm not sure I like beating up the finish on my new $1000 AK with steel mags.

View Quote

wow, just wow, first time I find myself speechless in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered just not shooting the gun ?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Plastic or metal, the finish will get rubbed off the edges on the mag well either way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Just make sure the "phosphate" (which is often gray in color) finished mags aren't really the "gray" finished Korean mags. Most people here would advise you to avoid the Korean AK mags altogether. I've never tried them, but they do look really cheaply made to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't post pics, but I just found what appears to be a new phosphate finished 30 rd mag.
Looks to be either Russian or Hungarian by the pics I've seen on the net, but there are no stamps whatsoever.
View Quote

Never had an issue at the range with the cheapo Tapco. Someone usually will have them on sale for 5-6-7 bucks...

Tapco will be a lot cheaper than Magpul

There's several videos of Tapco vs Magpul mags on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbKRnok7E4

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The mag-well of an AK must have marks from inserting mags. Its Rule#1.

But if you must have poly, then its hard to justify spending any more than what a Tapco costs. They look OK and function.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Tapcos have never given me problems. I'm sure the Magpuls are as good or "better", but at twice the price I've never felt the need to try them out. If I want better than Tapco I just buy milsurp steel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]

As stated the Tapco mags are fine.  I have used them for many years and have never had an issue.  I like the slab side just because I think that they look better but I have used both types and they both work great.  I have never used Magpul in my AK yet so I don't know.  I have used Magpuls in my AR and I would consider them "Top of the Line".  

I have some Polish ones that are real good also.  There are two types: Military and Commercial.  They both appear to work just fine and I have had no issues with them.  Not sure what the going price is right now.

The best in my opinion are the Bulgarian Waffle ((10)) mags but they do cost more but (they are worth it though).
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both seem to work in my use.

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top