Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2016 12:21:59 PM EDT
Being a wasr owner, part of the appeal of Korean mags(outside of the fact that they’re 9 bucks) is that they lock up perfectly in my specific gun.  My wobble truly isn’t all that bad, but the first time I locked on of these ugly Korean mags I couldn’t believe how solid it felt.  I was always annoyed that they essentially come unfinished, so I’ve sought out a ton of different options over the last couple years and finally landed on one I totally love the look of....  so I just figured I'd share in case anyone else had considered putting some paint on the grey Korean mags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCRN6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I tried flat, semigloss, light gloss, high gloss, 2000 degree stuff... and this satin comes out looking as close to identical as a brand new surplus Romanian mag as I could imagine... and at 9 bucks and Prime eligible any touch-ups are pretty economical.

It goes on SUPER glossy, but after 2 coats you'll have a good idea of what you'll end up with.  I finished at 3 coats and they all look pretty nice.

I can't speak at all to its durability yet... but at least in the mean time you can prevent some corrosion and have some nice looking mags.  (and frankly, I didn't like the texture of the unfinished mags)

Anyhow, If anyone else has a finish they've also liked, feel free to hijack with any advice and input.

Happy Friday!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot the Korean mags yet?

The follower sits too low on my grey ones, they miss stripping a round every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The follower sits too low on my grey ones, they miss stripping a round every once in a while.
View Quote

Hm, I have shot them... I've not encountered that.  What kind of ak are you running?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hm, I have shot them... I've not encountered that.  What kind of ak are you running?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasr, Opap, PSAK47

Compare unloaded the Korean to a combloc and you'll see the follower sitting lower in the rear instead of parallel with the feed lips. I put the Korean follower in the comblac mag, same problem. The combloc follower sits fine in the korean chassis.

The follower's is just simply wrong. At least on the batch I ordered.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you mean unfinished.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have four of the gray ones.

I have had one issue but I haven't used them all that much.

I masked the tops off and sprayed them with semi gloss paint. It ended up a bit too glossy so I hit it with 000 steel wool, they aren't perfect but look better than gray.

Either way, I'm sticking to surplus from now on.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top