Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/6/2015 11:29:45 PM EDT
are the magpuls really worth over 2x the price of tapcos?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
In on this one. Can't wait to hear the answers............
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
i am gonna catch alot of flak for this but...

in my experience tapco ar15 stuff really sucks

but tapco akm stuff is ok

the g2 trigger is good, the 922 compliant piston is good, the fixed stock and galil handguards are good

but plastic rails are retarded on any platform,

the plastic galil side folder is comparable to the crappy wire side folders it was designed to replace, IE not really comparable to an ace or tromix

as far as ak mags they are gtg, i have about 10 of them as well as plenty of different combloc metal mags

tapco ak mags work just fine, absoutely no issues

havent tried the magpuls yet, prolly wont as I have plenty of ak mags
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Slap yourself you non-googling troll.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've run both Magpul 30s and Tapco waffle 20s in my WASR and my PTR-32, no functional issues with either. Every Tapco I've ever had needed to be filed down to fit both the AK and the PTR, Magpuls do not.

Magpul appear to have a stronger spring. The Tapco springs are lighter than any other mag i've opened, including Koreans. Magpuls also seem to be made out of a more durable polymer which makes for a better mag. In a 'critical' situation I'd rather rely on the Magpuls.

Tapcos are cheap enough that you can drop one on the ground an not worry about it, they cost the same as a 20 rnd box of ammo.

Personally I think the Magpuls are worth the additional cost, whenever they roll out some 20s I'll grab some.

I've used Magpul AR mags for years and while they're great mags I have other brands of aluminum & stainless steel mags that I prefer over the Magpuls, so don't call me a fanboy. And I still prefer a steel mag in an AK, but the PTR seems to prefer polys to steel mags overall.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
are the magpuls really worth over 2x the price of tapcos?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
No, even if you mean AK's mags.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly never had a problem with any tapco ak mag. I got nothing but love for them
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly never had a problem with any tapco ak mag. I got nothing but love for them
View Quote

The plastic locking lugs can't take the abuse of the metal ones, but if you don't go full retard they are fine. I bought a bunch for my 74 during the last panic.  I think I would prefer metal for SHTF, but the TAPCO polymer AK mags have always served well for me too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
imo, they both suck

if you want poly mags, get COMblocks
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used both and only had a handful of issues from any tapco but I've never had a issue on magpul
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO the Tapco slab sides are the best US-made AK mag, bar none. Not stupid looking (aside from the dumb TAPCO AR logo on the side), very durable, and cheap.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top