Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/4/2015 9:34:04 PM EDT
Quick note: In post 3 I'll describe a bit of a torture test I'd like to do for these and a bunch of other mags. Feel free to weigh in on which mags I should test and on my preliminary methodology.

Just got mine a little earlier.

The M3 does appear to have a slightly different body curve than the ((10)) or TT mags. It's not much, but it's there. It's hard to capture in a camera phone.

A couple shots of the rear lugs with Imgur being silly and turning one. M3's rear lug is wider than the other two's. This also shows the thickness of the TT mag; it is thicker than the ((10)) it's modeled after both in the body and neck. The M3's body is actually a little thinner than the ((10)), but the neck (top part that goes into the mag well) is a little thicker than the ((10)).

Comparison between M3 and ((10)).

Comparison between M3 and Toth Tools.

M3 is the lightest of the bunch, followed by the ((10)). It is noticeable when comparing by hand.

Written summary to follow.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Going by memory since I'm currently out of MOE AK mags, these fit exactly the same; a bit tight in an M92 PAP and in a VEPR. Won't know about the Khyber-65 until the builder is finished. Rear lug is a gnat's ass longer than the ((10)) but the same thickness and a gnat's ass thicker than the Toth but the same length. ((10)) fits the best in the M92 and VEPR, then Magpul M3, then Toth Tools; the TT mag will need sanding, plain and simple, but I believe the owner told us this when showing pictures of the chamfering done on ((10))s.

These things are light. It's pretty nice. If the M3 is as strong as Magpul says it is then it will find a very nice place in the polymer AK mag market, being less expensive and lighter than ((10))s and Toth Tools. It only has to be "as strong as"; if it ends up proving stronger / more durable, even better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the process of gathering a lot of mags to do some formal testing between them. Right now I have the following:

• Magpul MOE (x2)

• Magpul M3 (x2)

• Bulgarian Circle 10 (x2)

• Toth Tools clone (x2)

• Tapco slabside (x2)

• Korean Steel 20rd (x2)

• Random Euro steel 30rd (x2)

• Israeli IMI 30rd poly (x2)

• Polish AK 103 clone (x2)

I am about to acquire two cosmetic blem Izzy AK 103 magazines that will join the others for testing. I still need to acquire some bakelites; right now I'm thinking 2x with reinforced feed lips and 2x early gen without. It was suggested that I get in touch with SGAmmo to see if they'd donate some, so I might do that. I can't think of any other mags to test - if someone donates others I'll bust them up, but my remaining mags are collectors and won't go near this testing.

Speaking of testing, this is what I'm looking at doing right now:

• Loaded drop test - 10 drops/mag from 6', load and fire.

• Unloaded drop test - 10 drops/mag from 6', load and fire.

• Spetznaz pushups - 5/mag with mags fully loaded, load and fire.

• Hit the deck - Drop to prone, 6/mag (2 on left, 2 on right, 2 straight down), mags fully loaded, load and fire.

• Freezer - store fully loaded in freezer for 24 hours, transport in ice-filled cooler, pull from cooler, load and fire.

• Deet - douse EMPTY mags in deet, let sit for 6 hours, load with 5-10 rounds, load and fire.

Preliminary, and I still need to work out logistics for that freezer test since FL doesn't get all that cold. I -might-, just might, be able to arrange to do all of this on one of my trips to upstate Mass / lower NH near Christmas, especially if we have a member here or two here or on AKFiles in New Hampshire that can lend their gun.

Does this list look good to you guys? Any other mags I should get, or tests I should run?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
You should run'em over at the end, load and fire.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Magpul test? Sure, that's not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good work so far. Appreciate your plans to do more testing. Look forward to them. Always on the lookout for lightweight, but durable magazines.

Curious to see how the IMI Polymer compares. Is this the magazines that FAB Defense just released that has the side view slot?

Would you want to test the standard Tapco AK magazines?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to drop test them, when frozen, to see if the polymer gets brittle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely. I'm told the Polish mags in particular have a reputation for being more brittle, so it's something I'll be looking for in all of the mags.

The IMI mag I bought: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-025#

I have no expectations for how it'll do, but it's inexpensive. I feel a little dirty giving CTD any money but whatever. The FAB Israeli mags are also on the list of 'maybes'.

I wouldn't have a problem doing the original Tapco mags. Just need to get a hold of them. I'm putting more priority to getting the bakelites (both non-reinforced and gen 4 reinforced) before the others though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
When do you plan on doing the tests? I might send some spare Tapco regular magazines.

That's a different IWI magazine than I was thinking.

This is the one FAB/Mako came out with recently.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_96/160080_New_30_Rd_Mag_From_FAB_Defense___The_Mako_Group.html
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
"Soon." The wife is about to pop out our first so that takes priority over breaking things. I'd like to do this between now and Q1 2016; I may do the tests here in FL or up in NH depending on who I can find to help, when my department's brand new shooting range opens, and whether it will be cold enough in NH to try doing up there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Soon." The wife is about to pop out our first so that takes priority over breaking things. I'd like to do this between now and Q1 2016; I may do the tests here in FL or up in NH depending on who I can find to help, when my department's brand new shooting range opens, and whether it will be cold enough in NH to try doing up there.
View Quote

Well Congrats! and take your time just don't forget
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
So, first off, fatherhood is freakin' great. Holding my little girl is an amazing feeling.

Second, the list of acquired mags is now as follows:

2x Magpul MOE
   2x Magpul M3
   2x Bulgarian ((10))
   2x Toth Tools clone
   2x Tapco slabside
   2x Russian AK 103
   2x Polish AK 103 clone
   2x Korean 20rd steel
   2x Random Euro 30rd steel
   2x Israeli IMI 30rd (from CTD)
   2x Israeli FAB Def.

Still need to acquire:

2x bakelite, non-reinforced
   2x bakelite, reinforced
   A case of ammo
   My rifle from the builder
   Time to spend breaking shit

I have the tests fairly lined up, but now it's the logistics of it: where, when, etc. I may do everything down here except the cold test and just ship the mags up north to test when I'm in MA/NH for Christmas, or I may get access to a more portable freezer down here in FL. Don't know yet. Running on about as much sleep as you'd expect from a new father with a 2 day old.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I suggest getting a Hungarian 30 rd. mag. SGAmmo has them for a good price.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you expect they would perform any differently than any other surplus Euro steel mag?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you expect they would perform any differently than any other surplus Euro steel mag?
View Quote

Some Euro mags are better than others. While they are the same construction as others folks have a lot of confidence in them, and there are variations in Euro steel mags. But its up to you. Just saying they are available and popular right now.

Using the same logic why test more than one plastic/polymer mag?

Its up to you.  I already know what's comfortable to me, and have a high degree of confidence in both Magpul AK mags.

But I appreciate you doing this test.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Good point. That sounds like a valid enough reason to me. I've got some glossy Hungarians and a couple unmarked Euro steels I could offer to the destructive testing gods.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Doubled
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#17]
So what's the status of the testing?

I have about 30 yugo BHOs I got while stationed in Texas and two magpul MOEs but I moved to California around her point and I wasn't able to buy more mags.  Now I'm living in a free state again and I want to know what mags to add to the family.  If I didn't have to clean off the cosmoline is so more yugos but that is such a PITA lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I have all of the magazines I want to test and finally have all of the ammo I'll need for testing. I'm still trying to confirm whether I can use my department's brand new range for testing. This week I'm trying to find time to get some higher resolution reference pictures for all of the different magazines and their weights. I knew I'd have less free time when a kid came to be but I didn't realize just how quickly time would slip by in general, so sorry about the delay in getting this done.

Cool side note: I'm going to email Magpul tonight because they've apparently done some fairly exhaustive testing of their magazines and should be releasing a video of it soon. I'd like to see if I can include their tests in mine or replace some of mine with theirs for repeatability's sake.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't wait to see the results of the test. I am very thankful for people like you who are willing to bust stuff up so others know what to buy. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:12:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Staying tuned, looks interesting
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Victim mags:

Victim rifle:

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top