Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2015 5:17:10 AM EDT
I'm finally starting to get to the point where I think I might have enough AK mags.  All of mine are steel or aluminium except some Bakelite '74 mags I have, and I want to get some of those polymer Toth mags, too.

Some of my old mags from the nineties have developed a few rust spots on them.  I have too many to cycle through regularly, so I was trying to think of a way to store them long term but keep them easy to move, as I may be moving in the near future.

I was thinking I might wrap the ones I'm not using regularly in some oil-dipped rags and then just stack them in a Rubbermaid tote with a snap on lid.  Either that, or do the same thing except with some large ammo cans.  Any other ideas?

Also wondering what to do for the springs.  I just bought some mags that had the limiters in them, and when I opened them up the springs, while not rusted, were dry but for a couple of blobs of cosmoline on them.  Do you guys oil or grease the springs on yours?

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking for a cheap way to store steel AK mags too.  It all depends on how much money you want to spend.  

The plastic bags made for 30-round AR mags won't work.  AK mags are too tall.  

I think your idea (rags with a bit of oil) is probably the best.  Harbor Freight sells bags of cheap rags.  

If you want to put them in plastic bags, I wouldn't use plain old Ziplock bags.  

Metal storage bags are $1 each, plus shipping.  VCI (corrosion inhibitor), made for storing metal stuff.  

http://www.44mag.com/product/750/vci_long_term_storage_bags

Dessicant packs are available for another ~10c each on Ebay.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't ever wrap anything in a rag, oiled or not. Give them a light spray of practically any petroleum product in a can. Put them in boxes with a layer of paper towels between them. You can tape up the boxes - keep them in a dry place, preferably indoors.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Either store them in ammo cans with desiccant or put them in AK "mag bags." Either way, wipe them down with a light coat of oil before storage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Container store garage totes The 20 quart version on the top right in the picture holds about 30 mags or so , Do not buy the bigger versions for ak mags , they are fine for AR mags but end up really heavy with AK mags inside them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't ever wrap anything in a rag, oiled or not. Give them a light spray of practically any petroleum product in a can. Put them in boxes with a layer of paper towels between them. You can tape up the boxes - keep them in a dry place, preferably indoors.
View Quote

Why would rags be a no-go versus paper towels?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to know that, too.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have a source for ziplock poly bags for AK mags?

Poly AR mags are too small.  I know the poly bags may deteriorate after 20+ years.  But I'm not packing stuff up for the Smithsonian.  I'll use this stuff in the next few years.  

For me, it's easier to store things (like mags) in the right size
container.  Handgun mags are just the right size for Ziplock snack-size
bags.  

Two options I've found:

5x12in - 4mil bags.  The 12in dimension seems too long.  The price is right at 15-20c each.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121387065092

9x12in VCI bag.  Not sealed, oversized, probably thinner 1-2mil thickness, and pricey at $1 each.  

http://www.44mag.com/product/750/vci_long_term_storage_bags
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen ammo corrode from contact with the cardboard box it was sold in and I've tossed out good Craftsmen tools that were stored in a felt lined drawer in a humid garage, all those tools rusted where they were in contact with that felt, which absorbs moisture. So I'd skip rags or paper towels. For long term storage I'd lightly oil the mags then store them in a good air tight container with some desiccant. 50 cal ammo can is your best bet for that.

Remington & Birchwood Casey make a good light spray oil that leaves a residue without being as 'wet' as CLP.  

For light surface rust I usually paint on some Rustoleum rust treatment, Mar Hyde also makes a great sprayable rust inhibitor that I've used for several car projects. Both dry clear so they're easy to apply and don't require any pre-treatment other than cleaning the surface of oil & grease.

For heavier rust I'd recommend a product like Naval Jelly to remove the bulk of the oxided metal then follow up with a good rust inhibitor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
For long term storage I simply wipe the mags down with a generous amount of heavy weight motor oil and store them neatly in a couple of tool boxes.

For $20 the tool box is cheap and easily moved. Made of structural foam with metal latches and a water-resistant gasket. Plenty strong enough to hold mags and it won't flex or sag like a Rubbermaid tote will when full.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I wiped mine down with light oil and put them in 1gallon freezer ziplock bags. 6 mags to a bag then stacked In a wooden ammo crate in the closet. Been like this for year's and no issues with rust. These are East German blued finish. My paint over park Hungarians live in a chicom chest rig and have no issues with rust, even after two years in the garage...

1DD
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wiped mine down with light oil and put them in 1gallon freezer ziplock bags. 6 mags to a bag then stacked In a wooden ammo crate in the closet. Been like this for year's and no issues with rust. These are East German blued finish. My paint over park Hungarians live in a chicom chest rig and have no issues with rust, even after two years in the garage...

1DD
View Quote

My mags have been around a lot longer, and still have ages to go.  

I'll have to check the Zip-Loc bags, those may work for even the 40 round ones, as I seem to recall they even make some extra large ones with handles now.  Thanks for the idea.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My solution is putting them in a 40mm ammo can and stashing them away in a cool dark place

Throw a few of those oxygen absorbent pouch things in there and be done with it
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course, the dirty little secret is that AK mags will still work just fine when are dirty, abused or rusty as f**k. I have a Chicom flat back 30 that I acquired from an Iraqi infantryman who had no more need of it... Definately un-loved. Sandy, rusty to to the point of being deeply pitted on the side from being inside a sweaty Chicom chest pouch. Used to use it as a range mag, as-is until I decided to mount it on a plaque as a souvenir...

1DD
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Cover inside and out with oil, wrap up in wax paper ,seal with tape or string and store in any container you want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#16]
coat in oil, store in milk crate

I also have a rusty, pitted Chinese flatback that still works just fine
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Steel things stored wrapped in rags usually rust because the rags hold humidity.

I just was going through my mags yesterday and noticed a small amount of surface rust on the E. Germans. I sprayed on what I think is one of the greatest products yet, and I have not begun to find all the uses for it; Amsoil 'MP' (metal protectant). It's like WD-40 in how it's light and non-greasy and displaces water but it's also a legitimate lubricant and anti-corrosive. Anyway, after wetting the mags with it I wiped them down with a cloth. Those mags look like new. Similar to another post above, I wrapped all my steel mags in waxed paper and put them back in their cartons in the closet. I only have one actual AK now, an AMD65, but my SIG also takes AK mags. I use only polymer mags in it except for the 5-rounder I use at the range.
The MP is great on anything with a polished blue on it, from a fine Colt to an AK mag.

BTW, the 'wax paper wrap' is loose, not air tight or taped-up at all. The cardboard cartons are not sealed either. The wax paper is mainly to prevent damage from steel objects in contact. The wax paper also doesn't hold moisture so it's relatively benign in that respect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#18]
ive used the ammo can method with a light coat of oil, worked well with mags i had put away for 3 years, using those mags now with no problems
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Tupperware bins from Walmart $9.99
I use them for AK, AR & handgun mags. I just throw them in there & in my closet. I haven't had any issues.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top