Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/28/2015 7:36:16 AM EDT
http://www.sgammo.com/product/762x39/special-purchase-75-round-ak-47-drum-magazine-new-romanian-762x39

im debating if i should buy this drum or some of the new steel lug pmags(when they come out). this would be for serious defense and fun. needs to be dependable! or suggest another brand of drum? it would be for my romanian sar "ak".
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/762x39/special-purchase-75-round-ak-47-drum-magazine-new-romanian-762x39

im debating if i should buy this drum or some of the new steel lug pmags(when they come out). this would be for serious defense and fun. needs to be dependable! or suggest another brand of drum? it would be for my romanian sar "ak".
View Quote

Everyone needs at least one drum for their AK.

Why?  Because DRUM!

[And that seems like a pretty good price]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have three Romanian drums 2 of the new style and 1 of the old that just plain work. Drums are cool but should not substitute your 30rd mags. Get at least one drum.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No reason not to. And they are super fun. Romanians are well made too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Romanian drims are good to go. I have two wind ups and one top loader. Top loading RPK drums seem to be more durable.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why?  Because DRUM!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  Because DRUM!

This, I plan on having at least 4 top loading drums and already have 1 chinese style rear loading drum.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought two of 'em last year.

They're awesome
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Drums are cool. You should have at least one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two of the newer Romy drums and they are the cats meow. Super easy to load and reliable. They are both laser engraved on the butterfly "Made in Romania" and look / feel like good quality. Loading them is one of my favorite gun related activities right behind unloading them through the barrel. I think I paid around $60/ea.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine's been great, zero malfunctions. For occasional use/range toy I think the backloaders are a better choice than the toploaders, nice to leave them unwound & fully loaded. 75 rounds of 7.62x39 is heavy though...

For SHTF situations I think I'd rather rely on 30 round mags for their portability/reliability/ease of changeouts but a brand new reliable Romanian drum for this price is hard to resist...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 1 Romanian 'rear loading' type (Chinese style I guess... But totally made in Romania...)

No issues, reliable, etc, etc.

The only thing I have to add, my Romanian drum can hold 76 rounds +1 in the chamber. Not sure why/how/what/if, but it holds 76 and functions just fine.

Also, I don't get the love affair with Magpul stuff? A toss up between Magpul AK mags (that aren't even on the market) and a 75 round drum...?

I'm kind of a 'mag snob' though and own a bunch of ((10)) in 30 and 40 round flavors.

Yes, they are pricey. I wish they were on the market for a more reasonable $20-25, but even the '$300 WASR' is a distant fairy-tale now... Dust in the wind... All we are is dust in the wind... ooohhhhhhahhhhhooohhhhhhh.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I have read on the 'Made in Romania' rear loading wind-up drums, they're actually Chinese that were moved through Romania to get around the import ban. They're pretty much identical to Chinese, and the Romanians only make the top loaders.
I have 5. They're very nice drums, better than the Korean ones for about the same money. I do want a top loader for collectibility. But I prefer the wind up because they can be stored loaded. Which 4/5 of mine are.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I have read on the 'Made in Romania' rear loading wind-up drums, they're actually Chinese that were moved through Romania to get around the import ban. They're pretty much identical to Chinese, and the Romanians only make the top loaders.
I have 5. They're very nice drums, better than the Korean ones for about the same money. I do want a top loader for collectibility. But I prefer the wind up because they can be stored loaded. Which 4/5 of mine are.
View Quote

This is what I was wondering if they were doing. The welds and finish were too nice to be from Romania .
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a few drums and I love them. As long as you get the wind up models, the top loading models suck and spring life is short on those.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a few drums and I love them. As long as you get the wind up models, the top loading models suck and spring life is short on those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree that the wind-up models are the way to go -- SO much easier to load.   And you can store them fully loaded without any tension on the spring.

I took a chance getting the Korean copy of the Romy drum from CDNN because in stock at $59.99 new was just too good to pass up -- happy to report that it was new, fit & finish perfect, and works 100% at least as fast as I can fire accurately without messing with bump firing.  

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top