Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still wanting (And Waiting for) Magpul 20rd AK Magazine
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You would think they would notice the 5.45 market has slowed down a bunch, as well as the always possible threat of a large amount of surplus mags getting dumped on the market depressing prices again.  The 5.56 makes a lot more sense to me as well.  I know making the mold is expensive, but as far as design, they already know the right curvature for a 5.56 magazine and now they know how to design around the AK magazine lockup.

Essentially like the design process for G36 and AUG PMAGs: it's just a PMAG with AK locking lugs.  Should be easy to crank that out in CAD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully Magpul is also working on a 5.56 mag. There's just as much, if not more, demand for a 5.56 AK mag.

You would think they would notice the 5.45 market has slowed down a bunch, as well as the always possible threat of a large amount of surplus mags getting dumped on the market depressing prices again.  The 5.56 makes a lot more sense to me as well.  I know making the mold is expensive, but as far as design, they already know the right curvature for a 5.56 magazine and now they know how to design around the AK magazine lockup.

Essentially like the design process for G36 and AUG PMAGs: it's just a PMAG with AK locking lugs.  Should be easy to crank that out in CAD.

I agree. IMO the 5.45 market is pretty dead tight now. Note all the SLR104s that go on the EE with no bites until the seller dramatically drops the price.

Even though 5.45 mag prices have gone up there were a ton of them brought in in the past. I have two SAR-2s and have plenty of mags for them, but I would like to see some high quality but affordable 5.56 mags for the SLR-107 I have.  I would think the points you've made would simplify things for Magpul making a 5.56 AK mag easier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly available now, per a post by Magpul in their forum. I'll likely try some; their previous AK rev have worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine showed up today from Magpul.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine showed up today from Magpul.
View Quote

Pix!
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Here ya go...I'm no photographer though.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Looks nice! by any chance do you know how much they weigh loaded? Also what are your thoughts so far? I'm thinking about picking up one of these bad boys
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Those will be popular.

I might even buy my first plastic AK mag.
View All Quotes

Needs Plum or at least sand color so we can rit dye them plum or whatever color we desire
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks nice! by any chance do you know how much they weigh loaded? Also what are your thoughts so far? I'm thinking about picking up one of these bad boys
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My bathroom scale and reloading scales won't do it. Sorry. I'm sure someone will get that info up soon though.

I like them so far. They fit perfectly in the two wasrs in the picture. Better than the first ak pmags, circle 10's, romanian surplus, and Tapco I have. One of the wasrs actually took a little material off of the mag body for a nice "custom fit". They also load/unload more smoothly than all of the above.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Needs Plum or at least sand color so we can rit dye them plum or whatever color we desire
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's why I only got two in black. The rest will be sand.

I think I pre-ordered some from DSG but I can't remember.

Quoted:
Those will be popular.

I might even buy my first plastic AK mag.

Yes they will. I'm glad we will all have a chance to stock up before the madness begins though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I was hoping the feed lips was reinforced with steel. Does not look like it in the pics.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was hoping the feed lips was reinforced with steel. Does not look like it in the pics.
View Quote

Why? All their other mags work fine with polymer feed lips.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are not reinforced.

I cant see paying $25-30 for these when you can get circle 10 mags for a few bucks more.These are $15-18 mags not a penny more
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

And that's exactly where they will crack.

Just bought another 11 steel mags for 100 and change.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Bulgy or Toth Tool for me. Gotta have the steel feed lips. Exactly why I buy the Lancer AWM for my AR's too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes on the Toth Tool mags.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are not reinforced.

I cant see paying $25-30 for these when you can get circle 10 mags for a few bucks more.These are $15-18 mags not a penny more
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not reinforced.

No reinforced feed lips, No thanks. It's kind of like the magpul Glock mags. They are ok but no reason to switch.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They are not reinforced.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not reinforced.

I'm with you.  After using some of the $10 surplus steel AK mags, most of these plastic AK mags seem like cheap toys.  

The Magpul fanboys will scarf up these new $30 AK Pmags.  They'll work fine unless you drop them, and their lips take a hit.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:15:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm with you.  After using some of the $10 surplus steel AK mags, most of these plastic AK mags seem like cheap toys.  

The Magpul fanboys will scarf up these new $30 AK Pmags.  They'll work fine unless you drop them, and their lips take a hit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not reinforced.

I was doing research on these and I decided to just stay with steel, yes there heavier but I would prefer a mag to take a hit and keep on working
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#21]
A magpul rep has claimed their feedlips outperform steel mags because they wont crack under the same impacts that will bent steel lips!  I think this was on AKFiles.  We won't know without tests.  Robski, a popular tester on you tube and AKFiles, has promised some real torture tests soon.

Another thread here has posted the weights and the MP is significantly lighter than the Circle 10s.  If they hold up, and the street price drops to about $20, they will be a great alternative to the $45 Circle 10s.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not reinforced.

Circle 10 mags are significantly more than what Magpul is selling these new AK Pmags for since they're selling for less than $30.  Have you dropped one of the new metal-reinforced AK Pmags and damaged the feed lips to make that statement?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Circle 10 mags are significantly more than what Magpul is selling these new AK Pmags for since they're selling for less than $30.  Have you dropped one of the new metal-reinforced AK Pmags and damaged the feed lips to make that statement?
View Quote

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Where's this rash of feed lips failures on Magpul's other magazines that we're suddenly getting paranoid about it on the AK mags?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I will buy one.  at least.
I have never had a problem with any of my ar mags.  
BUT I will admit I am a magpul fan boy.  LOL
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Where's this rash of feed lips failures on Magpul's other magazines that we're suddenly getting paranoid about it on the AK mags?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

I guarantee I can break a Circle 10 or a Euro steel mag one way or another, and that beinf said I wouldn't condem those mags because they weren't indestructable.

I think Magpul has access, and uses polymers, that are far stronger than what is used in Circle 10s, and other Euro poly mags so they can design a tough, lighter and slimmer AK mag. I'm looking forward to getting the lastest Magpul AK mags. I've been using a MOE AK mag for awhile and it runs fine.  I also have a Tapco mag (heaviest & thickest), as well as Circle 10's and Hungarian steel. All run fine although the Tapco mags won't fit in my Sig Xi Russian, but it does in my WASR.

I'm waiting for my favorite vendor to have the new ones in stock so I can order a bunch.

My .02
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I will buy one.  at least.
I have never had a problem with any of my ar mags.  
BUT I will admit I am a magpul fan boy.  LOL
View Quote

There's only a few things that Magpul makes that I don't like, but they make very good sturdy stuff.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully Magpul learned something from their first Glock mags.  

http://www.guns.com/2015/04/16/magpul-glock-mag-update-we-screwed-up/

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top