Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/15/2015 6:40:37 PM EDT
Hey guys, I literally just purchased my first AK (Mini Draco Pistol). I'm an AR guy but I've had fantasies of a SBR'd Draco for a little while now. Anyways, which mags are GTG and which are a no go? I use pmags in my ARs and just ordered some Magpul Glock mags to try out. Are the Magpul mags gtg?

Also, I remember seeing some AK mags on sale at PSA awhile back and they were bolt hold open. Are all AK magazines not usually bolt hold open? If they aren't I'd like to stock up on some of the bolt hold open ones if they aren't much more expensive than regular ones.

Thanks in advance. Remember, I'm new to AKs, take it easy on me
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sold all of my rib backed 30 rounders and bought all Hungarian 20 rounders, much more convenient to huck around and store.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Rule of thumb is to buy foreign, except Korea. If you want BHO mags, Yugos are what you are after. Personally, I never liked the idea of my bolt slamming into a magazine follower it wasn't designed to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Eastern European steel mags are the best. Check out Aim Surplus for deals.

Buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

SGammo has some eastern european mags. Should these be good to go?

10pk Eastern European Mags
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rule of thumb is to buy foreign, except Korea. If you want BHO mags, Yugos are what you are after. Personally, I never liked the idea of my bolt slamming into a magazine follower it wasn't designed to.
View Quote

So are Yugo mags the only ones that BHO and the rest aren't? I just checked out some BHO followers on Aim surplus. Anyone know how good they work?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Magpul AK PMAGS
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that was the best way to go, sold out now. Yugos are the only "factory" BHO mags, they work well but some don't like them. Are you looking at the WeaponTech followers at AIM? Mrgunsngear has a review on them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, those were the ones I was looking at on aim. I'll check out his review this afternoon. And SGAMMO only had 1 in stock when I posted. Should've just grabbed 'em.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, with the BHO mags, when you pull the empty mag, the bolt will drop. I honestly don't see the point of this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, with the BHO mags, when you pull the empty mag, the bolt will drop. I honestly don't see the point of this.
View Quote

Most people can feel the bolt lock back on the last round, it lets you know you are out without wasting time just to get a 'click' when you expected a 'bang'.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I stocked up on Yugo BHO mags should shit ever come in contact with fan, but for all my recreational shooting I prefer Tapcos. Tapcos are lighter, chunkier, feel better in the hand, and don't have spines. They've all been 100% reliable for me. It also doesn't hurt that they can get down to around $7 shipped when on sale. The Magpul MOE mags are roughly equivalent in quaiity to the Tapcos, but are typically twice that price once you factor in shipping. The new reinforced mags Magpul is bringing to market might justify a higher price; I'll check them out when they hit the streets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Russian AK mags from Aims are at a good price right now. Stack them deep when you have the cash. Also, apex has good looking Romanian mags for  about $13. Standard go to mags, russian, yugo, chinese/chugos, polish steel, hungarian, and bulgarian circle 10 polymer mags tho they run $45 maybe a few that I'm missing. If a website doesn't list what country of origin they're from I'd personally move on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most people can feel the bolt lock back on the last round, it lets you know you are out without wasting time just to get a 'click' when you expected a 'bang'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how I use them, I do a quick chamber check when the bolt locks back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm one of the minority ones on here, not that I disagree with most of the 'can't go wrong with surplus/commie-steel' advice.

But I put all my eggs into the Bulgarian 'Waffle' ((10)) basket.

Now the only real detractor to them, is the price. Right now I can find them for just under $40, but they normally run for about $45 per mag. Not cheap.

IMHO they are the best though, it is the best of 'both worlds' so to speak. Steel reinforced where you need it, but lightweight polymer everywhere else. Makes for a durable mag that isn't too heavy, also I find them very, VERY comfortable.

My current stock: 10 x 30 rounders, and 2 x 40 rounders... If I were you, I would think about investing in at least a few.

Oh and, here is the cheapest I've found them: http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30291

and, now just went out of stock. Literally yesterday they had some... Next best:
http://circle10ak.com/AKMagazines.shtml
or if you haven't drank the haterade yet:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-M47W
^cheapest

Yes I try to 'avoid' CTD as well... But money... I like to spend less of it
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm one of the minority ones on here, not that I disagree with most of the 'can't go wrong with surplus/commie-steel' advice.

Now the only real detractor to them, is the price. Right now I can find them for just under $40, but they normally run for about $45 per mag. Not cheap.

IMHO they are the best though, it is the best of 'both worlds' so to speak. Steel reinforced where you need it, but lightweight polymer everywhere else. Makes for a durable mag that isn't too heavy, also I find them very, VERY comfortable.

My current stock: 10 x 30 rounders, and 2 x 40 rounders... If I were you, I would think about investing in at least a few.

Oh and, here is the cheapest I've found them: http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30291

and, now just went out of stock. Literally yesterday they had some... Next best:
^cheapest

View Quote

Thanks for the help. I'm back home at my parents for the weekend but will do some mag shopping when I get home Sunday night.

And i will never shop at CTD again. Ironically,  I first got into guns a month or two before Sandy hook. They were one of the major gougers and people like that made me not be able to shoot my newly built AR or newly gifted .22 for months and months. I'd rather pay extra, much more extra actually, to a company that has morals and values.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the help. I'm back home at my parents for the weekend but will do some mag shopping when I get home Sunday night.

And i will never shop at CTD again. Ironically,  I first got into guns a month or two before Sandy hook. They were one of the major gougers and people like that made me not be able to shoot my newly built AR or newly gifted .22 for months and months. I'd rather pay extra, much more extra actually, to a company that has morals and values.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^cheapest

^^^^

People always say "why do you hate capitalism?"

I don't, capitalism allows us to choose what businesses prosper and which fail based on our decision to frequent that business or not.

As far as I'm concerned they can fail.
Capitalism at work.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Any commie country made magazine is your first choice . The design is at this point over 60 years old and still the new builders don't get it right . If you see a grey magazine or a blued one with small pinpoint spot welds run away .
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Just picked up my Draco. It came with a Tapco 30rd mag. How to the polymer mags hold up?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Tapco mags work fine as range mags.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just picked up my Draco. It came with a Tapco 30rd mag. How to the polymer mags hold up?
View Quote

I'm not doing drop tests with mine, but I've never had an issue of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Get at least a couple Hungarian tankers, helps concealability and bench shootin
pretty pricey though
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
What about Chinese mags? My local gun shop has a wood crate of them for 10 bucks a pop. They look raw......like they've never been painted.

Should I grab a few or keep walking?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#24]
What is the status on the Russian plum mags, both new and used?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's a very good price IF those are real chinese mags.  

I'm no mag expert, but I have never seen an unfinished chinese mag.

Have someone you trust verify those mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about Chinese mags? My local gun shop has a wood crate of them for 10 bucks a pop. They look raw......like they've never been painted.

Should I grab a few or keep walking?

That's a very good price IF those are real chinese mags.  

I'm no mag expert, but I have never seen an unfinished chinese mag.

Have someone you trust verify those mags.

I went back to take a second look.....turns out they are Korean.....I passed.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top