Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2015 9:20:24 AM EDT
Folks have asked me to test these out for years but it was just cost prohibitive. But, K-Var sent one out for testing so I could beat it up; here's what happened:

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Now people are going to think it was just some magical K-Var trick, like this is some special kind of Circle 10 mag

Anyway, great review as always. I love my ((10)) mags, got 10x 30 rounders and 2x 40 rounders, they are irreplaceable.

I really just wish the 'market' for them would be more reasonable, like $25... But it is what it is...
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Folks have asked me to test these out for years but it was just cost prohibitive. But, K-Var sent one out for testing so I could beat it up; here's what happened:

http://youtu.be/ZUrxDKiwnWw
View Quote

Nicely done, thanks. Can't believe those mags are that expensive now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice video, just wish they were cheaper

How well did the AK and the scope hold up to the steel plate!?  I would be cringing after ever drop to the steel plate!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Great review as always man... Steels and bakes will always have a special place in my heart. But my circle 10s are my main squeeze.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
No surprises there. Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No surprises there. Keep up the great work!
View Quote

Thanks.  Will do
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Great test ! Been waiting for this for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I certainly don't mean to ruffle any feathers here with what I'm about to say, but I don't know why you'd want to pay $40 and up for a single magazine.  Is this magazine any more reliable or different somehow than a good ol' steel AK magazine?  I'm not as well versed in the AK as the AR so I'm honestly asking, not making a smart ass comment lol.  

I just picked up a nice Yugo underfolder and am getting more into the AK now because of it.  As far as the AR world, I have like 50 or so plain old aluminum GI magazines and only 3 or 4 Pmags lol.  Maybe I'm just cheap is my malfunction, I don't know.  I wish I could find those $10ea surplus steel mags for the AK when they come up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I certainly don't mean to ruffle any feathers here with what I'm about to say, but I don't know why you'd want to pay $40 and up for a single magazine.  Is this magazine any more reliable or different somehow than a good ol' steel AK magazine?  I'm not as well versed in the AK as the AR so I'm honestly asking, not making a smart ass comment lol.  

I just picked up a nice Yugo underfolder and am getting more into the AK now because of it.  As far as the AR world, I have like 50 or so plain old aluminum GI magazines and only 3 or 4 Pmags lol.  Maybe I'm just cheap is my malfunction, I don't know.  I wish I could find those $10ea surplus steel mags for the AK when they come up.
View Quote

The Bulgarian Circle 10 magazines have been heavy-duty, polymer magazines for a while now (not exactly sure how long - only been into AKs for a year or so).  I don't recall seeing anyone having issues with reliability or degradation of the magazine itself.  They are also a little lighter than surplus steel magazines.  I have a small amount just for variety.  They are definitely high quality magazines and since they are new production, there's really no worry of weak springs causing feeding issues.  At $40+ generally, I'd rather look for an Izzy long top since I don't have one.

I like having my magazines' country of origin match my rifle, but it is not imperative.  People with SLR series rifles would have to get Bulgarian surplus or the Circle 10s to do that.  If I was in your shoes, I would get a set amount of Yugo magazines (up to you what that number is) first.

When I started into AKs, I really just wanted to get some steel surplus magazines so I could have magazines.  Now, I'm enjoying collecting various surplus magazines.  People have different reasons for wanting things, but at some point, it is a hobby and "just because I want it" is a justifiable reason.

*I'm rambling...

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I certainly don't mean to ruffle any feathers here with what I'm about to say, but I don't know why you'd want to pay $40 and up for a single magazine.  Is this magazine any more reliable or different somehow than a good ol' steel AK magazine?
View Quote

No. Just hype. Nothing at all wrong with steel mags, they're all I use and i've yet to have one malfunction in 25 years of shooting AK's.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No. Just hype. Nothing at all wrong with steel mags, they're all I use and i've yet to have one malfunction in 25 years of shooting AK's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I certainly don't mean to ruffle any feathers here with what I'm about to say, but I don't know why you'd want to pay $40 and up for a single magazine.  Is this magazine any more reliable or different somehow than a good ol' steel AK magazine?

Indeed.  A com bloc issued steel mag will perform very well in the same testing.    Here's a Gibbs Rifle mag which is essentially built identically to a Yugo BHO mag going through the same testing:

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top