Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 10:42:53 PM EDT
Hi,
I am sorry if this has already been asked, Today I traded My Romanian AK74 5.45 for a Arsenal SLR106 in 5.56
So I have 4 East German Bakelite Mags that I had for My AK74 in 5.45 Just testing at the House the Bakelite Mags fit the SLR Magwell Perfect with a nice Clack when it seats. Bolt Cycled just fine on a empty Mag, So I loaded 5 Rounds into the Bakelite Mag and hand cycled the Bolt every round cycled just fine. So I loaded 10 rounds and they also cycled fine by Hand.
The 6 Million Dollar question is will they Function Live Fire? I won't be able to Shoot it before the Weekend and don't want to Shoot it if Y'all say They won't Work.
They do look pretty cool in it since they are the Orange color against the black Furniture. So what say You fellas that have already tried this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
They work okay. Romanian SAR3 used modified bakelites when the German steel 5.56 mags ran dry. Follower was modified. I had some of the modified bakes and they were OK. Not as reliable as proper circle 10 mags though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You for the Answer, I think the best thing to do would be to sell the East German Bakelite Mags and Buy the Correct Circle 10 5.56 Mags. I found them for 39.95 New. Nowhere as cheap as AR Mags but Probably Worth it. I made the Trade so I would have Ammo Compatibility with My AR's and 5.45 Ammo is getting Pretty Hard to find too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can find the old ROBARM followers with the step on top (allows rounds to tilt and follow curve of mag as it loads), you can load all 30 rnds and expect 100% function. The Robarm followers are pretty much gone now, but you can build a ledge on the 74 follower to make your own. Slight dremmelling of the feed lips to accommodate the longer cartridge may or may not be necessary to allow smooth function. I still use some EG mags in My 556 Chicom rifles that have an added small threaded bolt JB welded as a feed ramp at the front of the mag. The bolt keeps the JB from breaking. I wouldn't recommend this mod for Chicom guns any more and would add a bullet guide to the rifle rather than the mag since there is a chance the JB could crack.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top