Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2015 11:52:25 AM EDT
I ordered some magazines that had some minor rust on the outside so I figured I clean them up and repaint them.  First, I boiled off the Cosmoline and then put them in Coca Cola for 24hrs.  When I removed the magazines and washed the soda off I noticed the insides had rust.  My question is will I be fine using these magazines with rust inside or will that rust work its way into my AK?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Why put them in Coca Cola?  I thought it was corrosive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/N4zkMK2sh3o

24 hours is an overkill.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you mean by working into your AK. Rust isn't really contagious, if that's what your getting at. But since I'd already gone to the trouble of cleaning up the outside, I'd brush/scape/sand off the interior mag rust and paint it to stop the mag from rusting out further.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the boiling to clean them up but I recommend putting them in White Wine Vinegar for 24-36 Hours.  Then Boil again, leave dipped in Paint Thinner to deactivate the Vinegar for 20+ minutes, then a quick water bath.  When I did this, there was a very light patina of rust on the parts within 60 seconds.  Hit it with 0000 steel wool and wipe off the remnants.  Paint as desired.

I've tried Coke in the past but you do need to keep a close eye.  Lemon juice will work as well but will take much longer.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]

evapo-rust is the s--t

at harbor freight with coupon

will kill bluing

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If the rounds do not move smoothly thru the magazine or the follower drags you could have feeding problems.
If there is enough rust to cling to a round, feed into the chamber then fired it will not do your chamber any good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
They run terrible with rust. I'll buy them at a super low price if you pay shipping
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always had problems with flash rusting when boiling cosmoline off of steel parts.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

24 hours is an overkill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/N4zkMK2sh3o

24 hours is an overkill.

I did the coke method and let them sit for @4-5 hours. Worked great.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If the rust is so bad that it is pitting, you will need to scrape it off so the spring does not get caught on it. If it is just surface rust, I would and have used Ospho on them. You can buy it at any auto store and it is made to stop rust from spreading/getting worse. I use it on my cars and metal parts. Just make sure the surface is smooth before paiting. It is easy to work with. Just put some in a bottle/sprayer and apply.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is corrosive - to rust. It contains Phosphoric Acid which eats rust and leaves a powdery phosphate coating. It's really related to Parkerizing in a way. But I don't understand how the OP soaked the mags in Coke but the insides still had rust. Did he not immerse the mags in it? If not, do that.

Oops, I didn't look at the video first - that was a good one.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top