BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Shotgun news did a review a while back. Might've been written by Fortier, who i think is a member here. Anyway the Tapco mags didnt hold up that great, i think they broke at the feed lips or the baseplate.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shotgun news did a review a while back. Might've been written by Fortier, who i think is a member here. Anyway the Tapco mags didnt hold up that great, i think they broke at the feed lips or the baseplate.
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/468826_.html&page=1

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the the term "range mag".  Their must be a lot of individuals involve in real world combat operations.  Lets face it, most of us are not going to perform combat operations any time soon.  It's a male fantasy for 99.9 % of us.  The only combat were going to see is having fun at the range, enjoying our hobby.  

Yes, Tapco mags are great.  No issues with my.  Enjoy!

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
May I ask where you found the mags for $4.50 each ?

I have several and really like the smooth side one's. Unless you are going to be deployed to the sand box , Tapco's are good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found em for $4.50 each. Bought half a case. I like them for range use.

I have several and really like the smooth side one's. Unless you are going to be deployed to the sand box , Tapco's are good to go.

The best I've found on slab sides lately was at Classic Firearms for the dark earth ones at $5.97/ea.  

https://www.classicfirearms.com/tapco-ak-30-rd-mag-slab-side-dark-earth
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]

The best I've found on slab sides lately was at Classic Firearms for the dark earth ones at $5.97/ea.  

View Quote

Almost ordered some of those til I found the dent/ding Romys @ CDNN for the same $$$.
All my Tapcos are waffle 20s that I've had to file down to fit my WASR or PTR32. No issues from either.
One review on the above linked page mentioned that he did not have to file down the slabside Tapcos to fit his WASR like the waffles need.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shipping was $16.00 on 5 mags... Eject
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recheck that shipping quote.  I paid $5.97 per mag for 10 mags and $9.58 for shipping.  Order total was $69.28.  That's coming to NW FL via UPS Ground.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone who thinks these cant hold up only need to watch this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcVBE7wezc
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Recheck that shipping quote.  I paid $5.97 per mag for 10 mags and $9.58 for shipping.  Order total was $69.28.  That's coming to NW FL via UPS Ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he is right. I just got a quote for 16.77 for shipping. You'd think that comoanies would learn gouging for shipping equals lost sales.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I think he is right. I just got a quote for 16.77 for shipping. You'd think that comoanies would learn gouging for shipping equals lost sales.
View Quote

Even when I quote it again, it still shows $9.58 for 10 mags to 32542, the same as what I paid.  It's got to be your zip code I guess.  Weird.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a few that have come with rifles I've bought.  Probably hold up fine but when you can buy a metal mil-surplus mag for $10 no reason to buy a Tapco.
View Quote

This.  That being said, I use my Tapco mags more than any surplus mags I own.  When I go to the range, the Tapcos always come with, and the great part is that I don't care if anything happens to them.  If they get run over, stolen, shot, etc... I'm not too upset because I only paid $7 for them, and they're very replaceable (ie, they're immune to an import ban).  That being said, the reason I don't buy more is because you can find great deals on surplus mags right now that are not only battle proven, but also less likely to be available in the future.  I paid $6.50/per for 30 Yugo BHO mags about a year ago.  Thought the add was a misprint, but they showed up in almost new condition.  With those kinds of deals, why buy the Tapcos?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.  That being said, I use my Tapco mags more than any surplus mags I own.  When I go to the range, the Tapcos always come with, and the great part is that I don't care if anything happens to them.  If they get run over, stolen, shot, etc... I'm not too upset because I only paid $7 for them, and they're very replaceable (ie, they're immune to an import ban).  That being said, the reason I don't buy more is because you can find great deals on surplus mags right now that are not only battle proven, but also less likely to be available in the future.  I paid $6.50/per for 30 Yugo BHO mags about a year ago.  Thought the add was a misprint, but they showed up in almost new condition.  With those kinds of deals, why buy the Tapcos?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a few that have come with rifles I've bought.  Probably hold up fine but when you can buy a metal mil-surplus mag for $10 no reason to buy a Tapco.

Show me 6.50 yugo BHO's now.

No serious. I'm not being a smart ass. I can't find any surplus that isn't just for less than 10-11 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's my love for Tapco mags. First, I think they are well made for the price. I live in a state that the 15 rd mag ban took place on 07/01/2013 and while we were all stocking up before that, the availability was still slim do to the shooting back east. Buy a mil surplus for $25 to $40 or a Tapco  for $9 to $12. Tell you what we have over here.

Second, you can custom fit the Tapco Waffles to you gun with a little emery cloth and no mag wobble. All the smooth sides that I have fit right out of the plastic on all my guns even my PTR 32 Gen 2 which is kind of picky on mags.

Third, I do all my shootin on private or BLM. Never shot at a range and hope I never have to. Jack Rabbits, Coyotes, and Prairie Dogs are my choice. Go for a day of shooting and through a hand full of loaded mags with Tapco dust covers in a bag and toss them in the truck. When I get home I take them out of the bag and guess what? Still the same color and shape they were in when I put them in the bag. Can't do that with metal mil surplus mags unless you're going for the well used look. Stand them up to dry, usually snowy, give them a little shot of Balistol under the Weapontech BHO follower and through them back in the bag.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#15]
SGAMMO had tapcos on sale for less than 5 bucks a piece not to long ago. i bought a case of 20 and was 111bucks shipped. They fit perfectly in my chinese ak. Didnt have problems with one i had a while back. Also have not had problems with the Korean mags either. I have had to sand a few of them to fit but other than that they worked well. Never tried the parkerized koreans though. Lets face it, there are a lot of WASRs out there and they are very hit or miss on functionality
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought some when they first came out. Two out of four had follower drag and would cause a couple of malfunctions per mag. The other two came from Tapco with AR15 springs in them and were a constant headache.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm old school. I got into AKs in the mid-1980s, when what was coming in were essentially semi-auto versions of military issue rifles. Chinese, Hungarian, Maadis, etc... Thus, my interest is in original military appearance. To me, the Tapcos are just butt ugly and not appropriate to the classic design. On the other hand, my nephew, who got his first AK a few years ago at age 18, has no issues with the Tapco magazines in his WASR-10. I've seen him use them, and even used them myself a few times and they always worked. Of course they never were subject to any abuse either... If you like them, great. They have their place in the AK universe. I don't because they are ugly and not "original". If I ever have to use one of my AKs in a live or die situation, it will be with Hungarian steel 30 rounders and a Soviet 75 rd drum.

1DD
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm old school. I got into AKs in the mid-1980s, when what was coming in were essentially semi-auto versions of military issue rifles. Chinese, Hungarian, Maadis, etc... Thus, my interest is in original military appearance. To me, the Tapcos are just butt ugly and not appropriate to the classic design. On the other hand, my nephew, who got his first AK a few years ago at age 18, has no issues with the Tapco magazines in his WASR-10. I've seen him use them, and even used them myself a few times and they always worked. Of course they never were subject to any abuse either... If you like them, great. They have their place in the AK universe. I don't because they are ugly and not "original". If I ever have to use one of my AKs in a live or die situation, it will be with Hungarian steel 30 rounders and a Soviet 75 rd drum.

1DD
View Quote

You don't like the looks of the slab side Tapcos?  They're molded to look very similar to bakelite mags.  I agree with you about the Tapco waffle mags, I'm not a fan of that pattern.  I prefer the Circle 10 waffle pattern.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't like the looks of the slab side Tapcos?  They're molded to look very similar to bakelite mags.  I agree with you about the Tapco waffle mags, I'm not a fan of that pattern.  I prefer the Circle 10 waffle pattern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

But they are not bakelites. When you can get real bakelites, why buy something that only "looks" like one? I used to have a Soviet bakelite 30 rounder that was a souvenir from "the sandbox". It was used and abused before I got it and still functioned properly. Used it as a range mag for years just because. Also brought home a Chinese flat back that was rusted to shit from all that desert sweat In a chi-com chest pouch. Still worked perfect. Sure the Tapcos are cheap, essentially disposable, and generally work, but they are not the real deal, proven in actual harsh use environments.

1DD
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
. If I ever have to use one of my AKs in a live or die situation, it will be with Hungarian steel 30 rounders and a Soviet 75 rd drum.

1DD
View Quote

+100. Got some brand spankin' new NOS Hungarians not long ago for 9.95 each, well worth it, they are superbly made mags, gonna keep them.

Almost as nice in fact as my EG's....almost.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I've broken a couple (tab) but they replaced them for free.   FWIW, the newer polymer seems a little more durable; those are the ones used in the test below:

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the video review! I have been hesitant about trying these for my 5.45,but your review gives me some hope.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

+100. Got some brand spankin' new NOS Hungarians not long ago for 9.95 each, well worth it, they are superbly made mags, gonna keep them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. If I ever have to use one of my AKs in a live or die situation, it will be with Hungarian steel 30 rounders and a Soviet 75 rd drum.

1DD

For sure the EG mags are tier one. Had a bunch of them, but did not care for the blued finish. All of my Hungarian mags are paint over park, which I prefer for exposure to the elements, plus they have proven to be equally reliable as the EG mags.

1DD
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:12:01 AM EDT
[#24]
No hate here.  Good range mags.  Or for whatever.  Plastic lugs are they're weakness.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I have three ribbed 7.62 Tapco AK mags that I use exclusively in a gun that needs them for 922r compliance. I have had them for about 4 years now. I don't shoot the gun all that much (3-4 x/year)but I have never had a problem with the TAPCO  mags. They fit, feed and function for me. If given a choice, I would take a military surplus mag every time but for the necessity of being U.S. made, I am happy with the TAPCO mags.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
To be 100% honest I personally prefer steel mags ,however I own probably 30-35 tapco 30's and I've never had a problem..not one now their ar15 mags I did ..but in the ak platform not once..the way I see it if I can get 10 for $90 hell yes I will..the ones who hate on them are the same ones who said that Glock's were trash and would melt and crack after 100 rounds..I'll sell them to those same people during the next ""scare""  when mags and everything else is crazy high
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#27]
FWIW I came across a new site Magsandammo.com looking for some stainless steel 20 round AR mags and saw they had both smooth and waffle Tapco mags for $6. I think they had color choices at that price as well. Ordered a 5 pack of Mako mags for $48 and USPS shipping was $10 from AZ to SC. Placed my order at noon and was shipped same day.
Right now I can't find any dented surplus steel AK mags at that price.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Myself and another guy ran them in a AK class back in March and both of us had issues with them. We had no issues with Romanian and Yugo mags and these were being run in a converted saiga and an Arsenal. I will stick with steel mags. If you want some mags to work on malfunctions then buy yourself a couple.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Their Galil mags work flawlessly in my converted 5.56 Saiga.

The 20's are nice compact mags for bench shooting or discrete AK carry too.

I'm sure the Hungarian steels 20s are much more durable, but they cost 6x as much too.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top