Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/24/2015 10:24:43 PM EDT
Do the new TAPCO and MAGPUL AK47 magazines have metal reinforcement?
Are they junk?
Sorry if its been ask before, I didn't see any threads here..
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What dryflash3 said is 100% accurate.

Edit: Also check out SGAmmo.com.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No Matter of opinion

Many, many times

If you want the best mag for the money, get surplus steel commie mags.

Start at Aim, button at the top of the page.

View Quote
And Korean AK mags are quite good. Steel mags are the best.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't the Korean mags earned a crappie reputation? Commie steel works for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Commie Steel, I second that emotion!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Some like the Korean 20-rounders, but I've never heard anything positive about the 30-rounders.

Combloc surplus are the best all round, but for day-to-day use I prefer to use Tapcos. They are not steel-reinforced but they're very reliable, light, extremely inexpensive,  and feel better in the hand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly if I was looking for AK mags right now I'd just order some of the used Eastern European mags that SG Ammo has. I think they are like $8 apiece. Yes, there are lots of cooler mags out there etc...but the standard combloc, 30 round steel magazine simply works and will keep working for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly if I was looking for AK mags right now I'd just order some of the used Eastern European mags that SG Ammo has. I think they are like $8 apiece. Yes, there are lots of cooler mags out there etc...but the standard combloc, 30 round steel magazine simply works and will keep working for a long time.
View Quote

This. Best advice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

This!  Get some to where you're comfortable and then you can venture out into the expensive and never-ending crusade to buy "collectible" magazines.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Bulgarian Circle 10's, pricey these days, but the best.  And, yes they are steel reinforced.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Commie surplus is what you want . Run away from Korean mags and most others
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Hate asking what will be to most here an stupid question, but looking at the sites mentioned in this thread, is the general thought stay away from anything polymer? Does someone mind pointing the blind to the comm-block best? Strictly Russian, or who else qualifies? Yugoslavian? Hungarian?

I would actually prefer (but is not a requirement) for 20 round mags, at least some.

Apologize for having the head that seemingly could crack an anvil, but don't want to buy painted over junk. Being used does not bother me at all.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

EDIT: My receiver is an AUSA if that has any bearing on mag selection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hate asking what will be to most here an stupid question, but looking at the sites mentioned in this thread, is the general thought stay away from anything polymer? Does someone mind pointing the blind to the comm-block best? Strictly Russian, or who else qualifies? Yugoslavian? Hungarian?

I would actually prefer (but is not a requirement) for 20 round mags, at least some.

Apologize for having the head that seemingly could crack an anvil, but don't want to buy painted over junk. Being used does not bother me at all.

View Quote

There's absolutely nothing wrong with polymer. A non-reinforced polymer mag won't take the same abuse as a milsurp steel mag, but whether it'll stand up to your use is a different question. If your living on a battlefield then maybe Tapco or Magpul MOE mags aren't for you, but if you're out shooting recreationally they'll be more than adequate.

As far as the source for good milsurp, check out SGAmmo. They've been running a nice offer for a while now: 10 surplus mags for $79.95. They'll be a mix of eastern bloc  (Hungarian, Romanian, Yugoslavian, Polish, etc.) mags and therefore all of good build quality.

When it comes to steel 20-round mags your options are more limited. The Hungarians made 20-round "tanker" mags....and that's pretty much it. More commonly available are South Korean commercial steel mags but the Koreans don't have a very good reputation. Some say the 20s are better than the 30-rounders, but virtually everyone says the 30-rounders are crap. At the end of the day your options are 1) paying $$$$ for Hungarians, 2) risking it on Koreans, 3) sticking with polymer, or 4) making/buying 30-round surplus mags that have been cut-down to 20s.

ETA: there can be a lot of variation from mag-to-mag, even from the same country. Expect that some of your mags, surplus or commercial, may need some slight modification to fit in your receiver.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lots of guys like poly mags, Circle 10 being best of breed in that class. The cheaper ones are fine for range mags.

For Combloc steel you'll get some slightly differing opinions as to what's the order of best to worst, but in general the lists will be close to the same. Even the worst ones are great solid mags.

My short list (and even it changes)

Russian slabsides
East German
Tie : Chinese flatbacks and Yugos
Russian
Tie; Hungarian and Polish
Romanian

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for explaining the mags. I appreciate the help.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top