Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:28:31 PM EDT
Looking for a top quality best reliable mag.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Com-bloc steel mags are what generated the AK's reputation for reliability. Everyone chases that reputation while trying for lighter weight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Bulgarian Circle 10s - light weight and reliable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for ((10))
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bulgarian Circle 10s - light weight and reliable.
View Quote

^  Com block or Chinese steel or Bulgy circle 10 for light weight plus reliability.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Imho

47 variants- combloc steel is hard to beat.

74 variants- russian plum is where it's at.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say something like this:
http://whatacountry.com/ak-47-30-round-magazine-german.aspx
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your budget...   To save a few bucks Warsaw Pact steel are more than good.   Got a few extra bucks?  Circle 10 waffle or Soviet Bakes are sweet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Any commie steal in a 47 , Most commie Bakelites in a 74
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I like tankers
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I am by no means as knowledgeable as many here when it comes to AKs/AK mags, but here is what I can tell you from my experience from the mags I have tried in full auto.

* Tapco - Does not feed reliably
* Russian Bakelite - while cool looking, does not feed reliably
* Bulgarian slabside - Does not feed reliably
* Eastern European Metal - Mostly feed reliably
* Chinese Metal - 100% Feed reliably
* Magpul - (even though they are not full auto rated from what I was told) 100% Feed reliably

I've not had any reliability issues in semi with these mags except with the tapco. I'm going to try a circle 10 on my next outing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#11]
another vote for bulgy circle 10 ~

dagg . . . . .
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Newb question. For a wasr is there a specific surplus types steel magazine that should be used or are any good. Any thoughts on who gives the best prices or has the best quality for the most reliable ones?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Newb question. For a wasr is there a specific surplus types steel magazine that should be used or are any good. Any thoughts on who gives the best prices or has the best quality for the most reliable ones?
View Quote

No specific national origin is required or necessarily recommended. AK mags makers sometimes run a little fast and loose with production tolerances, so some individual mags may require slight filing for proper fitment (also a result of WASRs requiring the mag wells to be enlarged after importation). But by-and-large any Commie military surplus magazine will do. Most of the ones currently on the market are Romanian, but if you order a bunch you'll probably end up with a variety. I personally prefer Yugos because of the bolt-hold-open feature and Chinese flat-backs because they're spineless (easier on the hands).

As for sources, SGAmmo has been running this deal for quite some time. Quality dealer, excellent price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks!  Im going to pick  some of those up and give them a try.

Edit:  I just did.  So, will I have to do anything special besides say dissemble and clean up with hoppes and add some oil to them?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am by no means as knowledgeable as many here when it comes to AKs/AK mags, but here is what I can tell you from my experience from the mags I have tried in full auto.

* Tapco - Does not feed reliably
* Russian Bakelite - while cool looking, does not feed reliably
* Bulgarian slabside - Does not feed reliably
* Eastern European Metal - Mostly feed reliably
* Chinese Metal - 100% Feed reliably
* Magpul - (even though they are not full auto rated from what I was told) 100% Feed reliably

I've not had any reliability issues in semi with these mags except with the tapco. I'm going to try a circle 10 on my next outing.
View Quote

My tapcos have been 100% I'm my draco
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Imho

47 variants- combloc steel is hard to beat.

74 variants- russian plum is where it's at.

View Quote

Is there something in the polymer make up that makes the plum mags work better than the other combloc polymers or bakelite?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Edit:  I just did.  So, will I have to do anything special besides say dissemble and clean up with hoppes and add some oil to them?
View Quote

Just clean all the cosmoline out. I'm not sure hoppes is the best choice, but everyone has a different method.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotcha. What would you suggest?

Oil afterward?  I mean light on the spring. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No specific national origin is required or necessarily recommended. AK mags makers sometimes run a little fast and loose with production tolerances, so some individual mags may require slight filing for proper fitment (also a result of WASRs requiring the mag wells to be enlarged after importation). But by-and-large any Commie military surplus magazine will do. Most of the ones currently on the market are Romanian, but if you order a bunch you'll probably end up with a variety. I personally prefer Yugos because of the bolt-hold-open feature and Chinese flat-backs because they're spineless (easier on the hands).

As for sources, SGAmmo has been running this deal for quite some time. Quality dealer, excellent price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range report on SGAmmo mags: I don't need any more mags, but I bought the 10 pack on the anniversary of Newtown- I will NOT be caught short again. Anyway, I got them, and took them with me to the range to run reload drills: loaded all ten out of the box they came in, no cleaning, nothing. Gun was Polish, milled receiver.
No problems at all. Mags all look good. Little wear or rust. Only thing I noticed is that one mag in the bunch had the bottom plate on backwards.
I ordered another ten.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone seems to have a different answer to the cosmoline question, and to them it's the only correct answer. I've used boiling water and I've used brake cleaner. Both work, but water is cheaper than brake cleaner and you can boil more than one mag at a time. Others favor soaking them in mineral spirits or baking them, but I've never tried those methods.

Regardless of what method you use, remember that water requires you to dry the mags thoroughly, and solvents require you to lilghtly oil them since they strip the oil  out of the steel. The key word is "lightly" - you're not lubing your mags, you're protecting them from corrosion. That includes the mag body, follower, base plate, and spring.....everything.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Everyone seems to have a different answer to the cosmoline question, and to them it's the only correct answer. I've used boiling water and I've used brake cleaner. Both work, but water is cheaper than brake cleaner and you can boil more than one mag at a time. Others favor soaking them in mineral spirits or baking them, but I've never tried those methods.

Regardless of what method you use, remember that water requires you to dry the mags thoroughly, and solvents require you to lilghtly oil them since they strip the oil  out of the steel. The key word is "lightly" - you're not lubing your mags, you're protecting them from corrosion. That includes the mag body, follower, base plate, and spring.....everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  I will look them over.  Maybe there won't be any cosmoline on them, you never know.  So, regardless of method I assume I need to disassemble and wipe off the cosmo if there is some.  I'll google some videos on dis-assembly so I can do it easily.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#22]
100% ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody have feedback on these ?  

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/POLISH-AK47-30RD-STEEL-NEW-164p1643.htm
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Assuming those are Polish mil-surp mags, they're GTG, but that price is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Com bloc steel. SGAmmo and Aim Surplus.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Assuming those are Polish mil-surp mags, they're GTG, but that price is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please post your source for new Euro mags that are cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://whatacountry.com/ak-47-30-round-magazine.aspx
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://armsofamerica.com/polishmilitarypackage4-30rdsteelmagazinescleaningkitandoilerlimitedpromotionwhilesupplieslast.aspx
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) SG just had new Hungarians for < $15 last month
2) Why limit yourself to new milsurp when very good/excellent used milsurp can be had for < $10? These are Land Rovers, not Ferraris.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Where do you guys go to get AK74 mags in stock??

And... for ARs and similar, the PMAG is an easy choice.
For AK47... it's a Bulgy Circle 10 Waffle mag until maybe Magpul releases the steel reinforced magazines.

For AK74... umm... uhh... what is the equivalent? Seriously considering getting into AK74s, but it's kinda confusing the magazine/ammo situation. Why won't Magpul make AK74 mags?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where do you guys go to get AK74 mags in stock??

For AK47... it's a Bulgy Circle 10 Waffle mag until maybe Magpul releases the steel reinforced magazines.

For AK74... umm... uhh... what is the equivalent? Seriously considering getting into AK74s, but it's kinda confusing the magazine/ammo situation. Why won't Magpul make AK74 mags?
View Quote

Magpul hasn't even come out with their promised steel reinforced mags yet, I wouldn't hold your breath, especially with the death of 7n6 imports.
Not many people are going to get into 5.45 anymore, but it has always been secondary to 7.62x39 AKs which are more popular in the US.

Classic still has bulgy surplus AK74 mags:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak7430bom4magandpouch

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74accpkgor2

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74bommpd4magsandpouchdeal
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I use metal mags mostly in the AR's, got a bunch that cost a lot less than pmags, and work just as well. Lot of guys do the same.

Uh....no. On both counts.

Seriously dude, there's other gear besides magpul. A lot more.

And the ak pmags are not a good product, just Tapco's that cost more than Tapco's, the metal re-inforcements aren't going fix that completely, and I see zero point in buying a crappy 26 dollar mag when solid and proven steel mags are so cheap and available.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why do you think that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the ak pmags are not a good product, just Tapco's that cost more than Tapco's, the metal re-inforcements aren't going fix that completely, and I see zero point in buying a crappy 26 dollar mag when solid and proven steel mags are so cheap and available.

Why do you think that?

With all due respect Justin, there is zero point in me trying to argue that point with you, you work for the company and need obviously to support your product line, so you have a dog in this hunt, whereas I don't. The info is all out there, there are dozens of threads and hundreds of posts out there with feedback on the product, my humble opinion doesn't necessarily represent the majority. and the subject has been beat to death.

It does seem to me like y'all could consult your actual customer base a little more for input, the new products look interesting, but what i'm really wondering is why you went with re-worked-for-AK versions of the AR MOE handguards (which are an excellent product and look great) , but went the complete other direction on stocks? An AK version of the MOE rifle stock and the fixed carbine stock, would look awesome when paired with the MOE handguards. The attempt at a triangle stock and the folder, just looks weird with the handguards, i'm still interested in checking them out, but this is what an AK looks like with the fixed carbine stock:

And this is what one looks like with the rifle stock:

Now imagine them with the MOE handguards. Much better combo aesthetically than than the new stocks with handguards IMO.

And it's just getting old having to buy adapters for AK's to use anything other than a basic AK fixed stock, it's another inch or so added to LOP for one thing. And the last thing I wanted, was ANOTHER triangle-skeleton type stock, or ANOTHER damned folder.

I see some companies very actively soliciting the AK community's opinions on product design, Manticore, Canis Design etc., wish you guys would consider doing the same, but I guess your name alone guarantees sales of whatever you make, yours is a big successful company, so really, i'm guessing my response here is just meaningless.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just clean all the cosmoline out. I'm not sure hoppes is the best choice, but everyone has a different method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soak in a pan of kerosene or diesel. melts the cosmolene and leaves a slight oil film.  I knew a Russian ex-pat living in California.  He was Russian military in Afghanistan in the 80s.  They cleaned their whole AK in diesel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#37]
How are the gen 2 US Palm mags??
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I've always been a fan of Yugo mags because of their followers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW, I prefer the Circle-10 AK mags because they are just a tad-lighter than the steel ones. As far as I can tell just as or even more durable.

Of course my bad-experience with the steel-magazines were the fact that I bought some crap-tastic (US made) ones that were pretty terrible. Krylon finish, the steel floor-plates easily bent when loading the magazines. I'm sure the 'in-spec' (commie) built ones are probably better made or at least I hope. Because the 'all perfect $8 steel AK mags' that I bought were terrible; which as of right now I'm blaming it on a crappy no-name US manufacturer that was just putting out garbage for low-cost (fool me once)...

Now right now, with the Circle-10 being around $40 per mag. Yes, they are overpriced. I think a real/fair price would be closer to $25. But this is just how the market is right now with them, maybe more competition from Magpul/etc will change this. Because honestly, they are really great mags IMHO.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top