Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2014 5:40:52 PM EDT
Do the black gen 1 circle 10 mags ( ribs don't wrap around the mag) have issues with splitting at the spine? I'm mainly concerned with the 556 version but curious about both. Its an issue where I live in Fairbanks AK because apparently plastic stuff on guns likes to crack and break when its below single digits above. I don't even know about what will happen when its -20*f and I'm at the range. Yes I will still shoot when its that cold.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
No one owns these mags?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I own some circle 10 bulgy waffles in 7.62 but Ive never used them in extreme cold.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Do steel surplus AK mags of any kind ever split at the spine due to cold weather?

Said no thread title EVER.

Not sure what you guys see in them plastic mags.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do steel surplus AK mags of any kind ever split at the spine due to cold weather?

Said no thread title EVER.

View Quote

Not sure why no one ever made any AK 74 pattern 5.56 mags either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Are these what you are talking about or am I misunderstanding?

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/50/products_id/437
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are these what you are talking about or am I misunderstanding?

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/50/products_id/437
View Quote

No these are http://www.k-var.com/shop/M-74N.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Do those have any advantages over the weigers?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are two totally different mags. Weigers, yugos, romys and Chinese, finish, & galil are based on the 47 mag dimensions where as polish, Russian and Bulgarian are based on the 74 pattern. So somewhat sarcastically they have the advantage of being able to fit in my Arsenal SLR 106 which is Bulgarian . Other than that they are a completely expensive pain in the ass to find. But I think they also have sex appeal that the steel 556 mags don't. the 556 curve on a steel mag looks weird to me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lighter, won't rust, more impact resistant.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And sometimes like in my situation its the only option. There isn't an all metal AK74 style 556 compatible mag available. Very few countries made all steel 5.45 AK74 mags. The only ones I can think of are the Poles and Romanians.

For those of you who insist on steel mags there was a company right before the assault weapons ban that was cranking out steel glock mags. Anyone wanna pose a guess as to why we don't see all steel glock mags today? Hmm
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a little rust adds character.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And sometimes like in my situation its the only option. There isn't an all metal AK74 style 556 compatible mag available. Very few countries made all steel 5.45 AK74 mags. The only ones I can think of are the Poles and Romanians.

For those of you who insist on steel mags there was a company right before the assault weapons ban that was cranking out steel glock mags. Anyone wanna pose a guess as to why we don't see all steel glock mags today? Hmm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can you not file/fit tantal mags like you can galil and weigers?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I've seen rust hurt on an ak magazine was the aesthetics.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are two totally different mags. Weigers, yugos, romys and Chinese, finish, & galil are based on the 47 mag dimensions where as polish, Russian and Bulgarian are based on the 74 pattern. So somewhat sarcastically they have the advantage of being able to fit in my Arsenal SLR 106 which is Bulgarian . Other than that they are a completely expensive pain in the ass to find. But I think they also have sex appeal that the steel 556 mags don't. the 556 curve on a steel mag looks weird to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I think I have to correct myself. The weiger mag is based on the 74 if I recall correctly other than that the rest of what I said stands.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^Yeah, I'm with you on this.

Not trying to add to the stupid/silly 'plastic vs steel' arguments.

Both that are made properly, will work just well. You buy crap 'plastic' magazines, you will be disappointed. I've actually bought crap/cheap 'steel' magazines, and they were WAY WORSE than my Bulgy circle-10s. I have a good stock of circle-10 7.62x39 AK mags, mostly 30-rounders, 2-40 rounders. Nothing but good performance out of all of them.

Sadly, I came into the AK game back in 2010. I thought $28 then was expensive for the Circle-10s, I wish I would have stocked up on more knowing the market now...
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that much lighter and what little they are doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

Yeah, guns rust too, do you not oil them to protect them? Can you spare a dab to wipe the mag down too?

Impact resistant? ROTFL! c'mon man, you need to think that through a little. Want me to make a video showing the result of using mags as hammers, your plastic mag vs. my steel mag? Any bets as to which one will win?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not that much lighter and what little they are doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

Yeah, guns rust too, do you not oil them to protect them? Can you spare a dab to wipe the mag down too?

Impact resistant? ROTFL! c'mon man, you need to think that through a little. Want me to make a video showing the result of using mags as hammers, your plastic mag vs. my steel mag? Any bets as to which one will win?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loaded with M67, a 40rd steel mag weighs .8lbs and a 40rd bulgy waffle mag weighs .6lbs; you'd have to carry at least three of them before the weight savings would add up to another mag.
Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Loaded with M67, a 40rd steel mag weighs .8lbs and a 40rd bulgy waffle mag weighs .6lbs; you'd have to carry at least three of them before the weight savings would add up to another mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And ultimately polymer = cheaper to make too bad the price on circle tens doesn't stay low all the way to the customer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Always heard the clear mags were the ones with splitting issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Always heard the clear mags were the ones with splitting issues.
View Quote

seems like it so far the black ones have been solid down to -20f
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top