Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2014 8:58:04 PM EDT
Hello. I have a WASR10 and only four Romanian 30 rounders for it. I've decided this is a travesty. However, it's been so long since I researched AK mags that it looks like the ones on the market are different form what I remember.

I'm wondering what the best value is in 30 rounders. I see dirt cheap Korean mags that I've never heard of, generic "European" mags that look okay, etc. I'm just wondering where I should be looking.

I'm also wondering how well the Romanian drums that open up to load work. They appear to run for 70 to 80 bucks.

Thanks!

ETA: Also, how well do pmags work? They look like one of the cheaper options.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the SGAmmo 10 pack.

You can't beat surplus metal AK mags.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, that's a lot cheaper than most places I was looking. I've never seen the Romanian drums that are Chinese style (can be opened up and loaded under no spring tension). Are they good to go? I may order the ten pack plus a drum.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a lot cheaper than most places I was looking. I've never seen the Romanian drums that are Chinese style (can be opened up and loaded under no spring tension). Are they good to go? I may order the ten pack plus a drum.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Great company and great prices.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put in an order for the 10 pack plus a Romanian drum. Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had good experience with Tapco, Korean grey mags and the generic european steel mags.

Tapco Mags

Link above has Tapco mags for $7 each.... Shipping is reasonably priced as well...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have had good experience with Tapco, Korean grey mags and the generic european steel mags.

Tapco Mags

Link above has Tapco mags for $7 each.... Shipping is reasonably priced as well...
View Quote

Tapcos have been G2G  for me as well.   That said-----If my life depended on it I want some steel or steel reinforcement.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Smooth side.....

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I put in an order for the 10 pack plus a Romanian drum. Thanks!  
View Quote

Good choice. Odds are most of those ten will be Romanian, so it's a double-win for you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Good news; the 10 pack was great. Most of the mags look lightly used. Three mags look practically brand new. One looks like it served in all three Arab-Israeli wars before it was bought by Hamas at an Egyptian army surplus store. All of the 30 rounders fit in my rifle.

Here are the three best looking mags next to the beat to hell mag. The mags look identical to my other ones that I know to be Romanian (however, I am an AK noob so I may not know what to look for).

However, the Romanian drum does NOT fit. It appears there is something off with my mag well. I googled it and past arfcom posts suggest that WASR10 mag wells are sometimes too tight. I do sometimes have trouble rocking the standard mags in, though I attributed this to being an AK noob rather than have a short cut mag well. Any advice?

ETA: Pics of attempts to insert drum.

If I try to force it, the front groove/indentation slips off of the catch in the front of the magwell and it doesn't lock in.

ETA: Shot of magwell. Any advice is appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a WASR.. They use monkeys to dremel the magazine opening out to take 30 round mags.  Some monkeys are more precise than others and do a better job. Sometimes they are loose, sometimes tight.   It's a crap shoot when dealing with WASRs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe this will help with your drum issue:

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/wasrwell.htm
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My WASR 10/63 had the same issue with a top loading Romanian drum.

All my other magazines never had an issue, except for being a little tight at times.

Thought it was the drum, but after some looking it was the magwell.

Took a few seconds with a dremel and problem solved
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe this will help with your drum issue:

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/wasrwell.htm

View Quote
I bought some files and was able to modify the mag well just enough to get the drum to fit.

My last question is, while the drum inserts easily now, it is difficult to remove it. It takes a lot of force on the mag catch to release it. Are there any other modifications I need to do to get it to drop free easily?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, you could file the mag catch, but that would be the last option. A better option would be to lightly file the bottom of the rear lug until the drum releases more easily. The best option would be to just insert/release over and over until everything loosens up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I would leave it alone for now, and shoot it some and it should break in by its self. If it dosent loosen up on its own file the lug till it removes with ease.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top