Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/14/2014 7:15:46 PM EDT
If steel, what's the consensus on the Croatian mags, or better deal somewhere else? I don't want to use my Polytech's, since they're too damn collectible as is.......
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a good deal for bakelite mags. I got 2 last time AIM had them mainly for the collector/bad ass aspect of them. They are tough and light weight but 3X as much as steel. If your looking to bulk up your mag inventory stick to steel, watch for deals on Apex and SGammo. If you want bakelite because they are just cool, go for it. I don't know on the new Croatian BHO mags, but I don't really like BHO mags so I haven't looked.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Croatian mags are hit or miss.  I would stay away.  Bakelites are GREAT if you have the cash for some.  I bought 10 from AIM and wish I could pick up a few more.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The croats are thinner. Ive seen comparos. Bakes can crack
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I bit the 7.62 bullet and ordered 5 bakes, I Yugo, and I Croation. I really like the two bakes I already had for my Poly underfolder.
My fiberglass Clayco, bought from a friend for $400 about 2 minutes into the gunshow, (probably amongst the first to hit Wanamacher in OK ), will look better with steel.
My brother bought it from the friend, and carried it in his patrol car for a couple of yrs, (wow!) before selling it to me. I'd liked to have seen him draw an AK
for police duty in OK at that time. WOW. Friendly fire or what? Still have a bunch of the Chicom ammo from the 80"s that is impossible to get. NORINCO!
Those were the days of $3/20rd ammo......
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
For those who haven't shot Norinco ammo, it's like the 4th of July. IN AMERICA.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It DOES smell like fireworks.......no kidding. Sound is a little louder.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Bakelite's are cool and $34 is a good price but I'd rather have steel for $13 at sgammo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
bakelite- good price good magazine.

I have a couple and I picked up one more from SG because of the free shipping.

so really your getting the magazine for 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the bakelite mags.Cool looking, light weight, and Russian.

Buy a few to have and buy steel surplus mags from SGammo for bulk purchases.

The way i look at it, when i buy steel mags im getting 3-4 mags for what i could get 1 bakelite mag for.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The croats are thinner. Ive seen comparos. Bakes can crack
View Quote

For those who say bakes can crack I'm not sure what you would do to it. I bought a rough condition bakelite a few years ago so I figured I do some testing on it. I've dropped it loaded, empty, in the rifle, on concrete and failed to have an issue with it. There was even a test I saw somewhere and they held up as good as the steel. The way I see AK guys baby their guns I wouldn't worry about it
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought 5 bakelights from AIM I couldnt help myself
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Got them in today, 2 Izmashy, 3 Tulys. Like them, Nice condition. I have two from years back.  I have a few chinese, Bulgy, Romanian, now Croation, and Yugo shooter mags, drums. NOT going to shoot my Polytechs! God, they are coveted. Made by Budda, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#13]

They're a pretty good deal. It adds some color to my scary black rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I figured I only needed one or two bakelites, but for $34.95 shipped, I ordered one earlier this week.  I'm back addicted to ordering them, which sucks since I'm on a small budget for the time-being.

The one I just got one was a Tula.  I had always heard of steel-lined feedlips, but had never seen one until mine came in.  This is by far the bakelite that is in the best shape!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I found and checked my first two, and they were both Chicom. Diversity is cool.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got mine yesterday, arrow in triangle mark, I think that means izmash?

In any case it's the nicest AK mag I have. I just wanted to get one to have a similar look to the AKS-74U from goldeneye on my PAP pistol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]
i have ordered them from AIM and have been pleased,  I get the ones with the star on them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i have ordered them from AIM and have been pleased,  I get the ones with the star on them.
View Quote
Those are Tula.

Do yours have steel feedlips?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Those are Tula.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are Tula.  

Do yours have steel feedlips?
I looked and they have metal reinforced lips

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah Fortier in an article from the August 1st 2011 SGN [I mentioned this on another thread] drove a 2.5 ton M35A2 truck over fully loaded mags

on a gravel road it slightly deformed the bakelite and bulgy mags and they ran fine...the steel mags worked until the follower got to the dent.When I say slightly deformed it wasn't really noticeable on the

bulgy and bakes.

If steel and bakelite were the same price Id buy bakes everytime....they are liter,tough and my bullets feed better into bakelite when im loading them!The only problem with bakes is they reflect

sunlite.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Have you taken this magazine apart yet?  I got one like your Tula and the inside was very rusty.  I cleaned the rust off of the spring as best I could and the pitting was so deep I though it might break.  I emailed Aim and they said they would exchange it.  Great customer service.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah Fortier in an article from the August 1st 2011 SGN [I mentioned this on another thread] drove a 2.5 ton M35A2 truck over fully loaded mags

on a gravel road it slightly deformed the bakelite and bulgy mags and they ran fine...the steel mags worked until the follower got to the dent.When I say slightly deformed it wasn't really noticeable on the

bulgy and bakes.

If steel and bakelite were the same price Id buy bakes everytime....they are liter,tough and my bullets feed better into bakelite when im loading them!The only problem with bakes is they reflect

sunlite.
View Quote

Ever seen what fire does to a bake?

Doesn't even faze the steel. You could run a truck over the original slabsides and they wouldn't crunch either, they are by far the best AK mag ever made.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I came here to ask this question.
Bakelite = sweet collectible
Eastern European for practical purposes
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought 3 bakes from AIM.  Very happy wit them, I will take the weight decrease over steel
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top