Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 12:08:15 PM EDT
What is the best available 7.62 magazines to stock up on? Looking for the highest quality long life mags.
Thanks,
RangerT
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Combloc milsurp steel mags, whether they are the bolt hold open variety or not is up to you, some people don't like them.
If you feel like paying $40 a mag, then go with Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer waffle mags, but at $10-12 on sale, steel mags are the better choice for stocking up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of the milsurp ones are good.   Even the Tapco ones have a good reputation.  As far as "Best" a lot of people would probably say theArsenal plastic/metal ones.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
best mags available are the bulgarian ((10)).  steel wrapped in polymer... beware they are expensive
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
best mags available are the bulgarian ((10)).  steel wrapped in polymer... beware they are expensive
View Quote

+1

That being established I only have 2 Bulgarian ((10)) mags and over 20 combloc steel mags.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If I was in the market, I'd get new Polish Steel AK47 30rd mags for $20 or used ex.cond. for $15 .
New ones may be around cheaper, but a quick search didn't show any.
I have no affiliation with Brad at gunthings other than being a satisfied customer of his through the years.
www.gunthings.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where is the cheapest / best place to buy these? Any deals on 10+?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember when Magwa had the Bulg poly Waffle mags for $10 each back in 2001-2003. Now they run $45 or more I believe. Those are probably the best 762 mags, but I like Yugo BHO mags the best for whats going around these days

Hungarian 20's are super too but hard to find now, 1 box = 1 mag, plus a lot better to shoot from prone position
View Quote

Not to muddle up OP's thread but in line with his question, I have trouble finding mags to fit my WASR 10/63. Suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1

That being established I only have 2 Bulgarian ((10)) mags and over 20 combloc steel mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Same here, 2 circle tens and a few dozen steel. The circle 10s are great but too expensive for me to stockpile. I'm looking forward to trying a couple of the Toth Tool mags when they are in stock. Magpuls metal reinforced mags should be out within the next year.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
For your money the best mags are going to be steel combloc mags.
For the cost of two circle 10 mags you can get around a dozen quality steel mags.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

In the past i have picked them up at SG and Apex when they have good deals or sales. SG has 10 mags for $80 and Apex has 10 for $90 on their Labor day sale.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

cheapest place to find the ((10)) mags are probably on the EE, see if you can get them for sub $40

there really are no price breaks on the mags because everyone knows they are the best of the best... again best bet would be finding someone trying to unload 10+ or 20+

best bang for your buck mags are any of the surplus steel types: europeans ($10 a mag), yugo/serbian ($12-$15 a mag), and chinese ($15-$20)

hungarian 20 round steel mags are also my preferred, but nobody has them for a decent price... they used to be $10 each, now more like $30 each

edit: right now SGAMMO has excellent-like new hungarian steel for $12 a mag when you order 10+... you would be hard pressed to find a better deal
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
+3 on Combloc milsurp steel mags take 8 of them and test them in your gun for 100% reliability and stash the rest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I remember when Magwa had the Bulg poly Waffle mags for $10 each back in 2001-2003. Now they run $45 or more I believe. Those are probably the best 762 mags, but I like Yugo BHO mags the best for whats going around these days
View Quote

Magua Industries (Chief Thunder) was selling them for around $8 back then. He brought in the rare experimental colored ones, too. I wish I had a time machine.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Buy a 10 pack from SGAmmo for $7.50 a piece.

Did it myself a few weeks back. Screamin' deal.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/10-pack-30-round-ak-47-mag-used-condition-varies-good-excellent-eastern-european-mil
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Magua Industries (Chief Thunder) was selling them for around $8 back then. He brought in the rare experimental colored ones, too. I wish I had a time machine.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/gaspipes/magsincrate.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish he would have stuck to mags.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/10-pack-30-round-ak-47-mag-used-condition-varies-good-excellent-eastern-european-mil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I ordered a 10 pack yesterday morning.  How did your 10 mags look?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Pretty good. Definitely wear from being inserted in magwells, a few had some very light surface rust.

Nothing a few minutes with a brush and lube couldn't help, and if you refinished 'em, they would be like new.

I haven't seen a price like that in years though. Incredible deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not to muddle up OP's thread but in line with his question, I have trouble finding mags to fit my WASR 10/63. Suggestions?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hungarian 20's are super too but hard to find now, 1 box = 1 mag, plus a lot better to shoot from prone position

A file.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a new AK47 and it included one metal mag covered in cosmoline and one Tapco 30. I never thought I would ever use a plastic AK magazine. I wanted to shoot my new rifle so off to the range I went with the Tapco mag. 200 or so rounds later the gun and the mag were flawless. I was surprised, seems like a nice and cheap range mag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought a new AK47 and it included one metal mag covered in cosmoline and one Tapco 30. I never thought I would ever use a plastic AK magazine. I wanted to shoot my new rifle so off to the range I went with the Tapco mag. 200 or so rounds later the gun and the mag were flawless. I was surprised, seems like a nice and cheap range mag.
View Quote

I really like the Tapcos. I don't know how they'd stand up to "field use" but they're very cheap and are my favorite "everyday" mags.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I really like the Tapcos. I don't know how they'd stand up to "field use" but they're very cheap and are my favorite "everyday" mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some pictures floating around of tapcos being used in mexico, and (maybe) Africa. Not first choice by any means, but some are getting field use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

My 10 pack delivered yesterday.  Most of the magazines look unused, a couple have a little surface rust around the feed lips, but should easily clean up.  Some were a little tight (measured ~1.020) when inserted into my Polish Sporter.  A firm squeeze in my bench vise corrected that problem.  The follower slides down and back with no interference on all 10.  Maybe I should have ordered 20.......
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top