Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/27/2014 8:40:48 AM EDT
How long can you  safely store 75rd drum with tension on the spring without damaging it?  Thank
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I don' store mine under tension. All it takes is a couple of cranks and yer gtg.Takes a second to do. ymmv.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Top loading or rear loading?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Top loading or rear loading?
View Quote

They are Chinese rear loading type.  I loaded three up for a range trip, but I was unable to go.  I already wind up the spring.  I probably won’t be able to go shoot until the weekend.  So it’s safe for it to be under tension for a little while?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They should be fine.

Years ago I accidentally left a one loaded with the spring wound up for a couple of months,it still  worked fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Its been years since I owned a back loading drum but cant you push the button in the center, once you open it, to release the spring tension?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its been years since I owned a back loading drum but cant you push the button in the center, once you open it, to release the spring tension?
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

THIS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

THIS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

THIS.

This ^ ^ ^ but be careful when you do it because there is a lot of tension.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
My understanding of mag springs in general is that what causes them issues, breaks, or wears them out is being used.  You can load up a spring and leave it and it doesn't hurt it at all.

I used to rotate my mags but stopped doing so.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top