Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/19/2014 8:55:06 AM EDT
Guys i wanted advice on the best value out there. I know there is no right or wrong answer so all replies are appreicated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Cheap surpluss steel mags can be had for cheap online. Check places like SGAmmo, AIM, Cope's and others. SGAmmo had/ may still have steel mags for $8 each if bought in bulk.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
FRNI.

Surplus steel is where it's at, SGammo has a lot of nice ones, APEX usually has some deals too, check the EE here regularly as there are some good deals to be had.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Russian or European steel mags @ $12ea is about as good as it gets right now, from a functional/durability value standpoint. Stay away from Korean mags. Most other foreign mags, like Chinese flatbacks, Bulgarian Circle 10's, and anything bakelite, are all great mags but you're paying for rarity/collector value on those. Then there are a bunch of inexpensive polymer brands (Tapco, Magpul, etc) which I know nothing about. As mentioned, the Hungarian and Yugo BHO mags at SG Ammo would be a good bet for ya.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had good experience with Tapco mags. As well as gray Korean mags and alot of the european steel mags.

I have a couple of Plinker Tactical mags that I was not impressed with. When you load them with ammo and shake them, the ammo sounds very loose in the body of the mag. They fed fine, but I just wasnt impressed with them....

I also have 2 47 round Master Molder mags. They seem to be decent quality. I have them loaded and ready to go, but havent taken them to the range to test for reliability. I did have to circumcise them a bit to get them to fit properly though... Next range trip, Im gonna try them out....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 20 of the sgammo dented, rusty, and broken ones. After cleaning them up, and popping out a few dents 18 out of 20 are good to go at $5.95 each. Now they lowered the price to $4.95 each so I grabbed another 60. These can't be beat for the price if you are willing to put a bit of time into them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

The euro surplus mags is what I have the most of.

I bought one of the magpul ak mags when they first came out, and have been using it as a range mag. It has worked perfect so far, but I haven't been abusing it either.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Serbian BHO mags best myself, although you can mod any of the surplus steel ones to work the same way, if you want to do it cheaper.

I still need to get a bakelite or five for my Khyber though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the Serbian BHO mags best myself, although you can mod any of the surplus steel ones to work the same way, if you want to do it cheaper.

I still need to get a bakelite or five for my Khyber though.
View Quote

Aim Surplus has your bakelites for $30 a piece, better hurry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The bakelites are probably only going to go up in value more than anything else if that's what you are looking for.  I just picked up another 3 of them while they are still available cheap from aim.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have had good experience with Tapco mags. As well as gray Korean mags and alot of the european steel mags.

I have a couple of Plinker Tactical mags that I was not impressed with. When you load them with ammo and shake them, the ammo sounds very loose in the body of the mag. They fed fine, but I just wasnt impressed with them....

I also have 2 47 round Master Molder mags. They seem to be decent quality. I have them loaded and ready to go, but havent taken them to the range to test for reliability. I did have to circumcise them a bit to get them to fit properly though... Next range trip, Im gonna try them out....
View Quote

The gray Korean mags won't hold up to use and rust when you look at them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gray Korean mags hold up just fine with extended hard use. We use them almost exclusively here on a daily basis and we don't "baby" them at all. They get slapped out with hard mag changes, dropped from various heights, kicked out the way, etc and all have held up just fine.

You must have a wicked stare because we look at these mags all the time and I'll be damned if any of us can make them rust by doing so. (ever see the rust that happens to surplus com-bloc mags? those freakin guys must have your evil stare!)

For the money (Centerfire Systems has these for $6.99 ea. if you buy three or more) these are more than serviceable mags that do exactly what you want a mag to do-reliably feed rounds into your chamber. If in the event one does get rusty (just by looking at it no less), slap a quick coat of flat-black paint on them and move on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The gray Korean mags hold up just fine with extended hard use. We use them almost exclusively here on a daily basis and we don't "baby" them at all. They get slapped out with hard mag changes, dropped from various heights, kicked out the way, etc and all have held up just fine.

You must have a wicked stare because we look at these mags all the time and I'll be damned if any of us can make them rust by doing so. (ever see the rust that happens to surplus com-bloc mags? those freakin guys must have your evil stare!)

For the money (Centerfire Systems has these for $6.99 ea. if you buy three or more) these are more than serviceable mags that do exactly what you want a mag to do-reliably feed rounds into your chamber. If in the event one does get rusty (just by looking at it no less), slap a quick coat of flat-black paint on them and move on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I've seen a little rust on some of the tens of thousands of combloc mags I've sold. It's generally due to poor storage or heavy use at some point in their 50 year life. I have a hundred or so Korean mags, just about every one of them has rust around the top of the spine from sitting in a warehouse. Lower quality steel, cut corners in production, they're junk compared to the real deal. In 30 years, the 50 year old comblocs will still be working and the Korean mags will be in landfills.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yea, I've seen a little rust on some of the tens of thousands of combloc mags I've sold. It's generally due to poor storage or heavy use at some point in their 50 year life. I have a hundred or so Korean mags, just about every one of them has rust around the top of the spine from sitting in a warehouse. Lower quality steel, cut corners in production, they're junk compared to the real deal. In 30 years, the 50 year old comblocs will still be working and the Korean mags will be in landfills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my supply of Korean mags, at the price I paid lasts ten years, hell, five years, I would consider that I more than got my moneys worth. I buy WORKING equipment, not collectibles. These are battle mags, used in battle rifles. I own plenty of surplus com-bloc mags and like them just fine. Some are great, some are okay, some are junk.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP wanted to know about inexpensive options for magazines for his x39. These are just that. While a lot of forum users who have no experience with these mags whatsoever will parrot the usual (BS) line of "Stay away from Korean mags", there are more than enough of us who use them and are quite happy. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I havent had any issues with the Korean mags that I own. All of them are in excellent condition. No rust, dents, dings or anything like that.... They have not failed me in any way...

My theory on magazines is this: If it works, use it.

I do see some quality differences in the AK mags that are on the market. Kinda like the Plinker Tactical mags... They are cheaply made, but they do function...The ammo rattles too much when loaded. Thats the only issue I have had with them....

I know alot of people that hate Tapco mags. I like the Tapcos that I have. They are rather solidly built and have been functioning well in my AK.

Everyone has their own personal preference. Im far from being a mag whore, but the ones that I do have run fine.

Bottom like is to buy what you feel comfortable spending your money on.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Best value? Surplus steel from someone reputable like SGAmmo. They're cheap but reliable; designed for battle and built to last.

Best buy? Depending on how you use them, I'd say the Tapcos when they're on sale. About 2/3 of my mags are Yugo BHO - these are nice to have, match my rifle, and the ones I'd trust my life to should the SHTF. The remaining 1/3 are mostly Tapcos. They pop-up on sale every now and then for $6-$7 and I recommend stocking up when they do. These are my everyday range mags. I actually prefer these ergonomically to steel mags - they're thick, lighter, easier to load, easier to grasp (for my large hands), and there's no steel spine to tear up my fingers. There will always be a nagging concern about the plastic feed lips in a SHTF situation, but that's why I stocked up on the Yugos. If the Tapcos had steel lips that's probably all I'd buy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Best value? Surplus steel from someone reputable like SGAmmo. They're cheap but reliable; designed for battle and built to last.

Best buy? Depending on how you use them, I'd say the Tapcos when they're on sale. About 2/3 of my mags are Yugo BHO - these are nice to have, match my rifle, and the ones I'd trust my life to should the SHTF. The remaining 1/3 are mostly Tapcos. They pop-up on sale every now and then for $6-$7 and I recommend stocking up when they do. These are my everyday range mags. I actually prefer these ergonomically to steel mags - they're thick, lighter, easier to load, easier to grasp (for my large hands), and there's no steel spine to tear up my fingers. There will always be a nagging concern about the plastic feed lips in a SHTF situation, but that's why I stocked up on the Yugos. If the Tapcos had steel lips that's probably all I'd buy.
View Quote

I would imagine that if Tapcos had reinforced feed lips they would be all that a lot of people would buy.

As for me, I like the Yugo BHOs myself. Only way they could be better is if they were flat-back like those old Chinese mags.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I usually dont consider any particular mags as "range" mags or SHTF mags.

If SHTF happens, I will take all the magazines that I can carry... So long as they work...... lol... Same thing goes for when I go to the range.... I dont have a particular set of mags that only get used at the range....  Again, I grab my gun, and some magazines, and go shooting...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If SHTF happens, I will take all the magazines that I can carry... So long as they work...... lol... Same thing goes for when I go to the range.... I dont have a particular set of mags that only get used at the range....  Again, I grab my gun, and some magazines, and go shooting...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you 100%.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FRNI.

Surplus steel is where it's at, SGammo has a lot of nice ones, APEX usually has some deals too, check the EE here regularly as there are some good deals to be had.
View Quote

Hello,
  Where is the EE at?  I can't seem to find it?

Thanx!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hello,

Thanx!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FRNI.

Hello,

Thanx!

Upper right corner at the top of page, orange button, Equipment Exchange.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top