Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/18/2014 5:24:57 PM EDT
I see some Hungarian mags from SGammo and they're more expensive than the $7.95 ones I bought at the beginning of the month. Is there something special about these ones to be around the price of the Yugos or did the price just go up? They look exactly the same from the pictures.

The ones I have look pretty good, no dents, just some powder and a few have slight rust spots. This is after buying about 25 of them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The price probably has to do with the original purchase price from the importer, still a good deal in my eyes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That'll probably be well below bargain price before long.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would that be?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why would that be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would that be?

Magazine prices are at their lowest in quite some time and will likely only go up from here. With all the AK-related bans/sanctions lately, who knows what might happen to the nice run of steel surplus mags we've been enjoying lately.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 10 of tose and they were in NEW condition
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought ten of the last batch of "euro" mags from SG and they were all Hungarian near as I can tell, a couple had the proof marks and the rest looked identical to them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as i can tell all of the euros I bought were Hungarian as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered 3 of these Hungarian mags from SGAmmo.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/30-round-ak-47-mag-excellent-new-condition-hungarian-military-surplus-steel-magazine

Got them in yesterday. Two are fine, apart from some whitish discoloration on the mag body. The third mag has a floorplate that doesn't hold under tension. It's almost like the floorplate's too wide and won't grab the rails on the end of the mag body. I'm debating whether I should try to find a floorplate that works (I don't have any spares), just set it aside until I get a mag with some other issue that I can cannibalize for parts, or (in true Soviet fashion) set the floorplate on a rock a beat it with rifle stock until in bends into a shape that won't come loose. Thoughts?

I'm kinda disappointed in SGAmmo, as I wouldn't call the mags "excellent" by any stretch (33% failure rate right out of the box), but they're cheap surplus, and I knew that when I was buying.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/30-round-ak-47-mag-excellent-new-condition-hungarian-military-surplus-steel-magazine

Got them in yesterday. Two are fine, apart from some whitish discoloration on the mag body. The third mag has a floorplate that doesn't hold under tension. It's almost like the floorplate's too wide and won't grab the rails on the end of the mag body. I'm debating whether I should try to find a floorplate that works (I don't have any spares), just set it aside until I get a mag with some other issue that I can cannibalize for parts, or (in true Soviet fashion) set the floorplate on a rock a beat it with rifle stock until in bends into a shape that won't come loose. Thoughts?

I'm kinda disappointed in SGAmmo, as I wouldn't call the mags "excellent" by any stretch (33% failure rate right out of the box), but they're cheap surplus, and I knew that when I was buying.
View Quote

Im with ya. This was suppose to be a good condition mag (ordered 4)

Maybe their inspection team needs re-training

edit, your "problem" was addressed in the original thread. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Not trying to be a douche, but a scraped up floor plate isn't really that bad.  A file and some hi-temp rattle can paint and a little elbow grease and that mag can look much better in 10 minutes or less.  It would cost me more time and effort to even try and return it.  Remember we are buying surplus - as long as the mag is functional, I'd say keep it and chalk it up as a lesson in life on subjectivity in conditions.  I usually buy 10 or more at a time assuming at least one bad one in the group which can be used as parts when I get another bad mag through another purchase.  If you want new, buy new....but the risk with buying surplus in bulk far out weighs the cost of new mags.  Please keep in mind the cost of the mag, as they were a great deal.  No need to bash a good vendor.  Sam is a stand up guy, and I know you are upset (I've been in your shoes with another vendor), but that's the risk of buying surplus.

If I were you, I would use this as a great opportunity to try and restore a mag.  It's not that hard if you have some spare time.  There are threads on here on ways to do it.  You can easily make that mag look brand new from 5 feet away in short order with tools/supplies you should already have around the house.  

Good luck!  

Seriously - give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think you are right, I made a large purchase on these mags at a good price and my price and depth in stock has really brought down the AK mag retail price across the business. That price may rebound, apparently there have been a lot of other dealers crying to the importer about my price on mags and AK parts kits. On the kits at $179 I was told I had to raise my price of stop selling them altogether, I choose the later for now. As for AK surplus mags there are no more at all available for me to buy in the wholesale market at a price where i could offer the $7.95 each (10 pack for $79.50). that could change if sales take a dive in the wholesale market but AK stuff has been selling like crazy in the last few months so it could take time for those guys to get hungry for quick cash big deals
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are right, I made a large purchase on these mags at a good price and my price and depth in stock has really brought down the AK mag retail price across the business. That price may rebound, apparently there have been a lot of other dealers crying to the importer about my price on mags and AK parts kits. On the kits at $179 I was told I had to raise my price of stop selling them altogether, I choose the later for now. As for AK surplus mags there are no more at all available for me to buy in the wholesale market at a price where i could offer the $7.95 each (10 pack for $79.50). that could change if sales take a dive in the wholesale market but AK stuff has been selling like crazy in the last few months so it could take time for those guys to get hungry for quick cash big deals

Who told you that you had to change price/stop selling the kits?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
What AK kits?  I'm on your site several times a week and never saw them, where are they from?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The white stuff on some of those mags is a desiccant residue the place that had them in storage used to keep them from rusting, if you spray some WD-40 on it and wipe, it should come right off

The floor plate issue is super easy to fix, its not the floor plate its the body OD, you just have to take the mag apart and stretch the body back out a bit to make the OD slightly wider, all it takes is a piece of scrap wood, wedging it into the bottom of the mag and pushing outwards forming the metal out a bit. This sort of 'floor plate wobble' is very normal with AK mags even brand new, but the mild-steel body is so easy to form. I made a youtube video on how to do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2Yrs45AGA&list=UUn0lQNcWTeGxZzHQzlr9k9A

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The white stuff on some of those mags is a desiccant residue the place that had them in storage used to keep them from rusting, if you spray some WD-40 on it and wipe, it should come right off

The floor plate issue is super easy to fix, its not the floor plate its the body OD, you just have to take the mag apart and stretch the body back out a bit to make the OD slightly wider, all it takes is a piece of scrap wood, wedging it into the bottom of the mag and pushing outwards forming the metal out a bit. This sort of 'floor plate wobble' is very normal with AK mags even brand new, but the mild-steel body is so easy to form. I made a youtube video on how to do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2Yrs45AGA&list=UUn0lQNcWTeGxZzHQzlr9k9A

Re: the first 2 mags.  They cleaned up well with a bit of WD-40 followed by a bit of oil.  No issues at all.

Re: the third.    AHA!  I figured it may be something like that, since I also couldn't get the bloody spring/follower out of the mag.  It IS the width of the mag body that was the issue, as I discovered when the spring base plate wouldn't fit in the body.  

However, I got a bit drunk last night and decided to mess with the spring base plate and floorplate instead of bending up the mag body.  5 minutes with a pair of pliers, and everything fits together (though removing the base plate is gonna be a bitch from now on)  It loaded a full 30 rounds, and from what i can tell by hand-cycling 30 rounds through the rifle, it feeds fine.  I hope it works as well on the range, as it's a really pretty mag.  

Thanks for your response.  I've purchased from ya'll before, and I've been pleased with the service every time.  Ya'll will be getting an order from me again, no doubt.  Especially if ya'll get some 40mm and 30mm ammo cans in stock.

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top