BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/18/2014 3:13:09 PM EDT
So are Russian bakelites now doomed as well
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the ones AIM just got in country....
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if they will offer them at the previous price though
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They are available right now, still 29.95.

ETA: over 4000 of them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore, I bought ten! according to Brian in the industry section, these were purchase before the sanction.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How would bakelites be involved in the sanction?

(when was the last time Izhmash made bakelites......30+ years ago?)
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]
so can anyone confirm that tula/izhevsk bakelites will be banned from importation?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought 5 to go with the 3 I got last time. Hoping for a cryllic and a long top to add to my collection.

ETA: Technically some are made by Izhmash. However they weren't part of KC back then/ are milsurp. I wouldn't put it past them being counted as part of the sanctions, but I wouldn't say they definatley/probably are. The only way you could verify it's a Izzy is by the stamp and i'm sure nobody who is part of making/enforcing this sanction would be able to tell "this is an izzy mag and is part of KC and will not be allowed to be imported" they generally are mixed in with tula's which I don't believe is on the list.

Long story short, we have no clear answer on how surplus will be handled of pre-KC products. Hell, many believe it's an entire Russian ban. We need clarification on these kinds of things. I'd love any links or answers anybody could possibly give.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

One way would be if the distributor is a company included in the sanctions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only heard mentioned from vendors (over the last 5 years) that all of the bakelites, plums, kits,etc. come from Ukrainian surplus.

If that is the case, the sanctions don't apply...but, there are other significant issues that will limit or stop the supply going forward.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've only heard mentioned from vendors (over the last 5 years) that all of the bakelites, plums, kits,etc. come from Ukrainian surplus.

If that is the case, the sanctions don't apply...but, there are other significant issues that will limit or stop the supply going forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

As far as I've read, these mags aren't coming from Russia, but rather are Russian in origin and coming to the USA through other countries. Being that they're military surplus, they would not be included in the sanctions (or for that matter, future sanctions). The sanctions are targeting folks buying from Kalashnikov Concern, which they would not be when it comes to these mags.

As fike pointed out, the bigger concern when it comes to stuff like the bakelites is with everything that's happening in Ukraine, how long will they keep sending these over.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Well then good deal, I didn't know the bakelites were coming from Ukraine. Still not paying $30+ for 'em when I can buy 3 Euro steelies instead, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Just put my order in on AIM...Their in stock! well idk...as many as I ordered they might not be!

a little late...hoorah! for bakelite!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the advantage of these Bakelites over say good surplus steel mags or Pmags, both of which are 12 dollars or so now?

Are they tougher, hold up better in the long term? lighter?

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I already have plenty.
I'm passing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is the advantage of these Bakelites over say good surplus steel mags or Pmags, both of which are 12 dollars or so now?

View Quote

Collectible, lighter and "cooler". Also has metal reinforcements in lock up tabs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bakelite mags are rare hence the hefty premium, I remember when these mags would fetch $65 + for a single magazine. They are considered a collector item and I wouldn't be stacking bakelites for range or SHTF situations unless you have big bucks.

As for durability, there are plenty of Bakelite mags in circulation all over the world. You see them in Africa, Middle East, Afghanistan, and Russian conflicts. That's a long service life considering they were manufactured in the 1970's.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Russian mags were already banned for import into the U.S. by Russia hence why most Russian mags fetch a premium as it is.  Most the Russian mags that we get right now usually come through Ukraine or other various countries, so nothing has changed with any of the sanctions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is it that prices on these have dropped in the last few years?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why is it that prices on these have dropped in the last few years?
View Quote

A ton more on the market.

That said, they have been available at Rguns for +/- $35.00 for the last few years...so the price hasn't dropped much.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone want a few?  AIM had 2500 at lunch time today, down to 125 now.  I just got 7 more.  Going fast guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone want a few?  AIM had 2500 at lunch time today, down to 125 now.  I just got 7 more.  Going fast guys.
View Quote

Yeah, I just got 6 more, so they are down to 119. They will be sold out by this evening.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
100 even now.  I picked up four more earlier to go with the ones I got last time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
100 even now.  I picked up four more earlier to go with the ones I got last time.
View Quote

46 left now. I think they started with 3500. They have sold quickly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#24]
When I got the email it showed around 4800. Bryan said they got in 5K. Only ten left!!

ETA:  And there gone! Sold much faster then the last batch. Hopefully there as nice as my ones from last time. Now to fast shipping and quality mags!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I hope so too.  With the 7 I got tonight that will give me 10 total on the Bakelites.  My first ones were from the last batch and really nice looking forward to getting these.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:42:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty crazy how fast they went through them. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bakelites in the future. If I remember correctly, Bryan from AIM was saying they didn't expect to see any more for a while.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I was thinking about picking up one or two for the heck of it but they're gone now. I guess my steel and plastic mags would have to do...

Thanks guys for saving my bank account some pain
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I got (15) coming this time because the (10) from the last batch were very nice. Can't wait to check them out. Very happy to add this to collection today!

40rd Bakelite FTW
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I am swimming in ak mags.
no more for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#30]
You can get grade D bakelites at jesticarms.com for $31.95, cheap shipping, $7 bucks flat rate.  I picked up a couple in between the Aim bakelite shipments. I can vouch that the ones I recieved are in pretty decent condition considering they are marketed as 'D' grade. There are a few scuffs and maybe the occasional gouge.

http://jesticearms.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_24&product_id=283

http://jesticearms.com/Russian-AK-47-TULA-bakelite-30rd-mag

Grades A-C are also offered: http://jesticearms.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17_24
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had been coming from Ukraine and Bulgaria in small numbers. I believe the recent big shipments of bakelites have been from Russia through companies related to Kalashnikov Concerns, so they have 10rd limiters to get around the regulations that were already in place. IO Inc had been bringing in all kinds of mags from Russia with the limiters, I would guess that's where the recent shipment came from. Legion also just brought a batch of bakelites in from Russia. I'd image that's the end of the cheap ones.

The importer I get most of my Russian mags from claimed theirs were coming from Ukraine and shipments ceased a few weeks ago due to the conflict. They could be feeding me bs, seemed pissed at me for undercutting their retail prices.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Got my four in to add to my 10 from the previous sale.  Three Izzy's and one Tula.  All metal feed lips.  Excellent condition as usual.  Two of the new Izzy's have stamps.  The Tula and the other Izzy are clean.

The Tula is a ridgeback with a flat base.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my 5 in today. All Izzy's. 2 ridgeback and 1 flat base plate. These are overall on par with the last 3 I got (were a little rough for excellent condition). For the price it was a decent deal overall.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Ordered 10 mags, received the following.

2 Tula long top mags, a nice surprise.

8 Izzy flat back mags

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I got my 4 I ordered today.  All Izzy ridgebacks.  They are definitely rougher than the last batch.  I would say they are fair to good condition.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#36]
One of the Izhevsk bakelites that I received was a type 1 long neck, but it did not have the four indentions on the front.  The front looks like any other type 1, it is just missing the indentions and is smooth.  I believe it also has a single digit number 1 mold number.  Did anyone else get one like this?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]
One izzy smoothback, and two tula ridgebacks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I got my shipment in today. 4 total: 1 Tula, 3 Izzy's

Definitely in the "fair to good" condition and no where close to excellent. First one I tried locked in like butter with no movement whatsoever in my Romanian M&M. The second one wouldn't fit at all and the third and fourth fit just right with a hairline of movement.

I went back and worked the one in that wouldn't fit. It ended up shaving off a bit of the finish on the mag but its gtg now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I must be very lucky 9 Tulas and 1 Izzy all very excellent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#40]
My 5 came in - 1 Tula, 4 Izzy.  One Izzy was a cyrillic!  No longs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Received my batch of 15 this week. I think the last batch overall was nicer but I did get some nice looking mags. I got 10 Tulas and 5 Izzys. A mix of flat and ridgebacks, no long tops. Also 3 of them are Cyrillic marked.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#42]
So I ended up with a nice deal on 4 of the latest Aim bakelite shipment by way of the EE and member GoGo (awesome guy to deal with, BTW)
Of the 2 Tula mags, both are ridgebacks but one has a smooth floorplate. Of the 2 Izzies, one is a flatback. All 4 mags are in very good condition.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So I ended up with a nice deal on 4 of the latest Aim bakelite shipment by way of the EE and member GoGo (awesome guy to deal with, BTW)
Of the 2 Tula mags, both are ridgebacks but one has a smooth floorplate. Of the 2 Izzies, one is a flatback. All 4 mags are in very good condition.
View Quote

Got 3 aim bakelites , all 3 izzies, ridgebacks 1 with a smooth floorplate....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#44]
There is a surprising lack of photos in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]
AIM has a few more Bakelites in stock, however they are $5 more.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#46]
3 Izzys, 2 look brand new with really crisp "OTK" stamps.
1 used Tula in nice shape.

These were a hell of a deal.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top