Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/22/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
http://youtu.be/d9bxlyvVULE

A full function and durability test of the new MAGPUL PMAG 30 AK/AKM MOE in 7.62x39mm. The PMAG was tested against Polish circle (11) 7.62x39mm magazines, with positive results.

-Summary of results- All magazines used were new, and the same two mags of each type were used throughout the entire test.

PMAG 30 AK/AKM -
Fit- No issues, tested in multiple rifles of different manufacture, easy to insert and eject.
Design- Solid external construction, with little flex during heavy compression. Easily maintained control when wet, dirty, or muddy due to external ribs.
-Malfunctions-
Dry- None
Sand- None
Mud- None
Water-None

-Polish circle (11)-
Fit- Both magazines needed hand fitting prior to insertion into any ak platform.
Design- Thin construction, that easily flexed when compressed. Very slippery when wet. Metal floor plate is thin and easily bent.
-Malfunctions-
Dry- None
Sand- Approximately 50% failure to feed.
Mud- Approximately 50% failure to feed.
Water- Multiple due to the follower not having relief cuts, causing debris once wet, to bind to the inside wall and follower, resulting in constant failure to feed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried a Pmag last week on my Saiga. Solid fit, like damn good as in it felt like one piece with the gun. Ran flawless through 30 wasted bump fired rounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
We met the MAGPUL guys at SHOT show this year and tested a few of the new products, one of them being the new AK pmag. They sent us two mags for testing and review and they worked in every test , using 1000+ rounds of steel cased Russian 7.62x39mm. I've seen some of the things people do as a "Test" on AK mags, like the pushup, what possible application could that have in real life?!
Thanks for the comment !
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure how relevant it is to compare it to the commercial circle 11 mags, which are fairly uncommon and not known to stand up to hard testing.

The failure of the AK PMAG is the lack of steel.  A proper comparison, which others have already done, to surplus steel or a circle 10, will show exactly why these are just overpriced Tapco magazines with a fancy name on them.

When you can buy 100% durable surplus for the same price as a AK PMAG, or twice as many Tapco's as 'range mags', you have to ask the question "Why waste the money?".
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Bad test. Everyone knows the commercial Polish plastic mags are POS. You need to redo you test and compare the PMAGS against Bulgarian Circle 10 and standard combloc steel mags.

You can also try this on the PMAGS

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The purpose of this review was to do a function test in adverse conditions, while using a nonmetal reinforced, foreign made magazine, as a visual comparison. The circle (11) is what we had that met the criteria.
New, plastic/polymer construction, and non-domestically produced. The test was never meant to compare all types magazines and material compositions against each other.
If your interested in that type of test, give us some feedback on what you would like to see compared, and how you would like it tested/ abused and we can set up some tests.
Thank you for your comments Gentlemen!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad test. Everyone knows the commercial Polish plastic mags are POS. You need to redo you test and compare the PMAGS against Bulgarian Circle 10 and standard combloc steel mags.

View Quote

THIS.

Bored with the ongoing AK Pmag BS and fights now , please stop with the "test" crap already, nothing new to see here until they release the metal re-inforced versions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The purpose of this review was to do a function test in adverse conditions, while using a nonmetal reinforced, foreign made magazine, as a visual comparison. The circle (11) is what we had that met the criteria.
New, plastic/polymer construction, and non-domestically produced. The test was never meant to compare all types magazines and material compositions against each other.
If your interested in that type of test, give us some feedback on what you would like to see compared, and how you would like it tested/ abused and we can set up some tests.
Thank you for your comments Gentlemen!
View Quote

Not looking for that much detail - but rather more durability testing. I don't recall anyone done the type of testing on the PMAG as shown on the video in my previous post. That pretty much set the benchmark on AK mags. I'm talking about unassisted drop tests from 5 feet up.

A lot of AK enthusiasts were excited when Magpul announced the AK mags, but most were disappointed when it became known that the 1st generation didn't incorporate metal reinforcements.

Good video but unfortunately, not a good review (and appears biased) because it didn't really push the limitations of the magazine. Sorta like, hey, here's a crappy Polish mag, and here's the new PMAG. PMAG wins!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't speak for the rest of the hive but I for one would have preferred the AK Pmags to be bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The OP was harder on these mags that 99.99% of people on this forum ever will be. I have six of the AK pmags and will probably buy more in the future. Would I buy the reinforced one? Yes, but I still do not think it is really a necessity. I am not going to war anytime soon and if I do I will be taking an AR15 with non-metal reinforced pmags, not my m92 pap pistol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The OP was harder on these mags that 99.99% of people on this forum ever will be. I have six of the AK pmags and will probably buy more in the future. Would I buy the reinforced one? Yes, but I still do not think it is really a necessity. I am not going to war anytime soon and if I do I will be taking an AR15 with non-metal reinforced pmags, not my m92 pap pistol.
View Quote

If that's your justification, why not just get the $5 tapco mags? Why pay 3x?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case... buy an airsoft. You don't need an AK if you don't want a weapon worthy of war. For just range and "fun" and airsoft will do you just fine!
Ahh. So you get the point. the reason people are drawn to the AK (or AR) is it's EFFECTIVENESS in combat (combat worthy). So stop with your pretend BS and man up. If you have a combat worthy weapon, it should have combat worthy mags.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In that case... buy an airsoft. You don't need an AK if you don't want a weapon worthy of war. For just range and "fun" and airsoft will do you just fine!
Ahh. So you get the point. the reason people are drawn to the AK (or AR) is it's EFFECTIVENESS in combat (combat worthy). So stop with your pretend BS and man up. If you have a combat worthy weapon, it should have combat worthy mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Wow

I actually ordered 10 tapco's for classic this week.

I'll go out and find some war when they come in.

I should add that I don't feel my m92 pistol is "combat" worthy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]
System Message
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top