Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/17/2014 12:33:36 AM EDT
Got bored and figured I'd do some experimenting. Really like the idea of the slick side Tapco mags, but the solid bright color just doesn't look right.

So I did this.

Not perfect and I'm not really done, but I think it looks better than it did. Hoping to add a little sheen to it also.

Edit:

Other side with a little more work done.

The original product.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like its coming along.  I saw a thread where a guy simulated the streaking with a darker color applied with a course brush.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like its coming along.  I saw a thread where a guy simulated the streaking with a darker color applied with a course brush.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't really expect to make them look as much like real bakelite as I do less like plastic. I once painted a race car for tech class in high school and smoked the paint this way with good results so I figured what the heck, worst case scenario I make a range mag ugly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Your right, the mag will still work.  I wish I could remember what forum I saw it in.  Came across it researching Bakelite mags a while ago.  
Check out the ar15 mag forum for the thread where a guy is using Rit Dye on magpul magazines to vary their color.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=484089
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I painted a bunch yrs ago.Your missing the two tone oranges,one for the darker "swirl"effect.The lighter orange color for the background.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a nice real one. Notice the 'grain' pattern that looks like random brush strokes, but not with a good paintbrush - almost like a feather or something.

Now here's my crude version on an orange Tapco. The polyurethane finish/stain is brown walnut but should be more red, and its also too glossy. But it was just an experiment. I think I can save it with some semi-gloss in a redder color in new patterns over the brown. But bottom line, its better to just buy real ones. Still, its hard to resist trying.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
eh it looks alright. Of course the closer you get the more "fake" it becomes , but as far I see from far-away you probably cant tell. Cant say you did an outstanding job but you did well
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
eh it looks alright. Of course the closer you get the more "fake" it becomes , but as far I see from far-away you probably cant tell. Cant say you did an outstanding job but you did well
View Quote

I can't say you did an outstanding job of understanding it was simply a hasty experiment to show that you can 'grain' a mag with common supplies, not a finished product. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems to even try, since the mags are so different from the Bakelites. Still, in the technical sense it could be better if done with some kind of dye that could be used like paint. The polyurethane builds up and has a texture. It also scrapes off in use and may not resist all gun chemicals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

So where is your attempt at faux Bakelite???  You may not have meant to come across as a douchebag, but you did.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thread, this type of experimenting is fun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever it is OP, it's better than the original.  I have no idea why Tapco makes that particular magazine look like a traffic cone.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top