Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:38:02 PM EDT
So this was my current "holy grail" mag to get...and I got a nice one., but now I don't know what to think.

I have a friend that is from Bosnia, I would give him the shirt off my back, and I trust him much, and wanted to get him one of these FDLs as a gift.
[begin political commentary] He was there when the SHTF. Serbians putting the smack down on the Muslims caused neighbors that were once just neighbors to start shooting each other. (he saw some really bad things) It caused people to gather (even more) behind their religion, Though He is christian and is fiercely anti-muslim, he admits that the Serbs went overboard (Srebrenica).[/PCoff]

He had enough resources being part of the police force over there to GTFO through Germany and ended up in my town and a few years back got his citizenship.

He insists that those FDL mags were never part of the Yugo Mil/police. and are Muslim/Bosniak issue.  When I handed it to him he looked at it like it was Kryptonite,

just my $0.02

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have much to say besides that's really interesting and that is my current grail mag.  I kept doing the mag lottery but all I got were Russian Izzy ones.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That's an interesting piece of knowledge about those, thanks for sharing. What kind of mags did they typically use then if not those?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
(snip) He insists that those FDL mags were never part of the Yugo Mil/police. and are Muslim/Bosniak issue. When I handed it to him he looked at it like it was Kryptonite, (snip)

I'm confused...

The Fleur has been a symbol of  royalty to Europeans (not just the French) for centuries.

What significance would that symbol have to Muslims, and why would they manufacture mags with it instead of perhaps a crescent moon?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
This off wiki:

The coat of arms of the medieval Kingdom of Bosnia contained six fleurs-de-lis, understood as the native Bosnian or Golden Lily, Lilium bosniacum.[6] This emblem was revived in 1992 as a national symbol of Bosniaks, and was the flag of Bosnia-Herzegovina from 1992 to 1998.[7] Although the state insignia were changed in 1999 on request of two other ethnic groups (Serbs and Croats), the flag of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina still contains a fleur-de-lis alongside the Croatian chequy. Fleurs also appear in the flags and arms of many cantons, municipalities, cities and towns. It is still used as official insignia of the Bosniak Regiment of the Armed Forces of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I may have some more insider information later.  From what I gather, it is not just cross vs crescent, it was also largely regional, so it would be a sign of independence?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]
My knowledge of the conflict is fairly shallow, but to my understanding the fleur and single/double-rib mags were produced exclusively by the resistance who didn't have access to a regular supply of Yugo military mags. I'm not sure I'd call them muslim magazines per se, but your friend is correct... this is a definite symbol of one side in the conflict. And represents freedom fighting or terrorism depending on where your allegiance lies.

If yours has the flat spring you found a very nice mag! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that awful thing...
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I would not mind having one or two of them in my collection, looks perfect aside from finish!
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]
if it helps i recently sold a trench art upper hand guard from that war that had 2 FDL and 2 cresent moon/stars on it.... so there is for sure some connection
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if it helps i recently sold a trench art upper hand guard from that war that had 2 FDL and 2 cresent moon/stars on it.... so there is for sure some connection

copy, thanks. I'll never understand the full story.

and yes it was a flat spring, beautiful mag, I was very proud of it, the FDL is of course the emblem of the Boy Scouts

but I ended up selling the mag to someone it belonged to ,he described himself as from Montenegro, "ethnically" Albanian.

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top