Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:00:05 AM EDT
I've tested my Google-fu and failed in my attempt to get a good solid story about the AIM Surplus Euro AK47 Mags.  The only thing I can find about these mags are people saying they're a good price and appear to be either Chinese or Yugo built on Chinese machinery.  

Does anyone know exactly what these mags are?  Also, does anyone have any experience running them?  Are they quality?  Has anyone had any issues with them?  

I'm new to the AK world and want to stock up on some mags, but $ is an issue at the moment.  These mags seem reasonably priced and I just need some direction.

Thanks in advance to everyones input on this topic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The AIM Euro mags are what people call "Chugo" mags. They are flat back Chinese mags that were imported to Yugoslavia and sat in storage for awhile.

As for quality, except for factory defects, any Combloc steel mags will work well. Period. They were built to withstand the abuse of illiterate conscripts in the middle of WWIII.

The only AK mags to avoid are any US made mags (except US Palm, those rock)
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a mess of them and they work flawlessly.
Snatch them up while they are available cuz
they wont last forever!
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered 3. I bought a few tapco mags and I can't stand them.  They take to much fidgeting to get them inserted for my liking.  Those metal mags are fast and smooth as butter to insert.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine. They look to be unissued and they wern't filled with crud and old cosmoline like my romanian mags were.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#5]
When they first came into the country a couple of years ago or so, everybody was selling them.  It was a flood...
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]

AIM is good people, thoses mags rock.   And if you do have an issue, they will fix it for you, unlike some others.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet, good to hear everyone.

I plan on ordering 10 soon.  Has anyone done the mod to have them hold the bolt open?
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered 10 over the weekend.

I'm doing a bolt-hold on my safety selectors when I get my kits finished. 1 mod on rifle vs 1 mod on every mag wins any day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered 10 thanks to the reviews in this thread.  Now I just need to explain to the wife why I need another $100 in mags.... or maybe I can slip them into the safe without anyone noticing
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
JSir I understand how it is.  These really are the best AK mags around.  I'm thinking of having future orders delivered to my office!
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
JSir I understand how it is.  These really are the best AK mags around.  I'm thinking of having future orders delivered to my office!

Quoted:
I just ordered 10 thanks to the reviews in this thread.  Now I just need to explain to the wife why I need another $100 in mags.... or maybe I can slip them into the safe without anyone noticing

Sounds like wife unit getting

I know cause i've been there.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I might start having all future ammo,mag and gun stuff shipped to my office as well
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just bought 10 as well and got the same response...she left me alone when I pointed out she can only wear one pair of shoes or use one purse at a time  
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought 10 as well and got the same response...she left me alone when I pointed out she can only wear one pair of shoes or use one purse at a time  

Ha ha, I'll have to use that next time.  I get my mags today so I'll let eveyone know how they are after I shoot with them this weekend
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Brian said the mags were going up in price so buy 10 while their cheap
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered 10
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 10 just arrived...... in cosmoline
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 10 just arrived...... in cosmoline

Better than rust
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Better than rust

yeah... but a pain in the butt

speaking of cosmoline on mags do I need to disassemble them and then soak them in mineral spririts or just stick em in there or does this question deserve a thread?
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I received 10 a few days ago. These look and act like top quality Chinese mags. The "worst" of my lot had a very minor scratch in the finish along the side, almost undetectable. Some of the mags actually had bits of the original protective paper wrap still clinging to them. I couldn't find a mark on any follower indicating they had ever been loaded. I took a couple to the range and they fit and functioned perfectly. I am splitting another order of 20 with a couple buddies. Thank you AIM!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than rust

speaking of cosmoline on mags do I need to disassemble them and then soak them in mineral spririts or just stick em in there or does this question deserve a thread?

Mine had no cosmo, only a light film of thin oil on the exterior. I opened one up and it was perfect inside, slick but not wet. I did nothing but wipe the exteriors down and load them up.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than rust

Mine had no cosmo, only a light film of thin oil on the exterior. I opened one up and it was perfect inside, slick but not wet. I did nothing but wipe the exteriors down and load them up.

hmm ill try that

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than rust

I've cleaned many cosmo caked mags. soaking them alone does not remove the cosmo on the inside. I open mine up and run a rag through the body. It will probably still work either way though, being ak mags.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you have to submit a pic of your drivers license to buy the mags?  The website says you do for guns and ammo, but that's it. And it's been  like 6 days since I ordered and I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation. And it's Friday night, so I can't call them tell Monday
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you have to submit a pic of your drivers license to buy the mags?  The website says you do for guns and ammo, but that's it. And it's been  like 6 days since I ordered and I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation. And it's Friday night, so I can't call them tell Monday

Nope, not for mags. That reminds me, I need to cll them to change my address info. Can't do it online for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than rust

I've cleaned many cosmo caked mags. soaking them alone does not remove the cosmo on the inside. I open mine up and run a rag through the body. It will probably still work either way though, being ak mags.

I have an old toaster oven I use to melt the cosmo. Just break down the mags, and put the bodies in the oven. Once the cosmo starts to run, take em out and throw them in some low odor mineral spirits. The springs, followers and plates go straight in the mineral spirits. I don't heat those. You should get a brush to wipe out the inside of the bodies as stated above.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a very light coating of cosmo on the mags its just easier to take em apart and soak them in water for 5 minutes and run a rag through them to get it out of the body

oh BTW I hope cosmo isnt toxic because I cut my self getting a floorplate off and cosmo got into the cut
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Love the ones I bought. Great mags, and a good price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than rust

I have an old toaster oven I use to melt the cosmo. Just break down the mags, and put the bodies in the oven. Once the cosmo starts to run, take em out and throw them in some low odor mineral spirits. The springs, followers and plates go straight in the mineral spirits. I don't heat those. You should get a brush to wipe out the inside of the bodies as stated above.

Never understood why people went through all that trouble of melting the cosmo. Melting takes of 90% of the cosmo max. You will have to wipe them down either way. By soaking it first, it softens the cosmo up such that wiping it down allows you to take off almost all the cosmo except a thin film, which I actually want on my mags to protect them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is a very light coating of cosmo on the mags its just easier to take em apart and soak them in water for 5 minutes and run a rag through them to get it out of the body

oh BTW I hope cosmo isnt toxic because I cut my self getting a floorplate off and cosmo got into the cut

These mags have sharp edges for sure. Not sure if it's just the chugos, or if all AK mags start off that way and you only notice it with the chugos because they haven't been worn to hell from use and abuse.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not for mags. That reminds me, I need to cll them to change my address info. Can't do it online for some reason.

I really wish they would change that. It's annoying as hell. They do that so that they don't accidentally ship a C&R gun to an address other than the one on your C&R. It's a sledgehammer to kill a fly approach IMO.

I even went so far as to create a non C&R account so that I could ship it elsewhere. AIM automatically combined my 2 accounts (based on the same billing address I presume) and shipped it to the wrong address without telling me Luckily the package was still on my porch and not stolen when I came home this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought one of the euro mags just to check the fit in my amd 65 it wobbled quite a bit, but the Hungarian mags fit great with minor wobble.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Read somewhere lately, maybe email, these are going to have a price increase soon.  Ordered a few more just because price was so good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Read somewhere lately, maybe email, these are going to have a price increase soon.  Ordered a few more just because price was so good.

Bryan said they were going up in price because they couldn't get anymore. They are now all sold out but AIM is hoping to get the last 10k in soon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the heads up. Ill try to get another 5-10 to go with the 5 I ordered on Friday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Got my 10 in today, good quality, great price.  They all load, feed and inserted good. Will buy more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered a few more before the price goes up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone know if these are pre 1994?
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top