Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 10:13:22 AM EDT
I have some old russian 762x39 ammo that is steel cased and all copper-washed(not lacquered) like the old Norinco ammo, with a 539 head stamp (Tula) over a backwards N (Acrylics for I ?).

I was hoping it was steel core and when i pulled one of the bullets it was a 1.04" boat tail bullet but when I cut it open it was a solid lead core FMJ with no hollow nose as seen on most Russian ammo these days and had steel disk underneath the base.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibly some of the Remanufactured ammo that used Russian steel cases from a few years ago.

I believe the M 43 Spec called for Steel core from the beginning.

After the import ban some companies pulled the steel core bullets and replaced them with newly manufactured lead core bullets.

I know for a fact a bunch of Hungarian and East German ammo was done this way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't see the picture.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The "backwards N" / Cyrillic " I " is a date code for the year 1955.

Agree that this is from one of the several lots of remanufactured ammunition where the original projectile (steel core ball, tracer, etc...) was removed and replaced with lead core to make it importable.

Never saw one with a steel disc in the base of the projectile though.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top