Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2017 9:50:33 PM EDT
Not looking for the cheapest 7.69x39

Just looking for something all around good to stack deep

I currently use Wolf Polyformance 123gr and it goes bang when I pull the trigger

Stick with the Wolf? Change it up? Other suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy non-corrosive AK ammo, store it in watertight containers with dessicant packs. Store in dry place. End of story.

It's an AK and will shoot any ammo you give it and it will work just fine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This!  There are other good options out there.  Buy it cheap and stack it deep.  Feed the AK what it desires.  Steel case.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Tula 8M3. Best performing stuff out there terminal ballistics wise until you go to American made, brass cased hunting ammo.

Member here posted this vid.

MSM Causes Mass Murder. Also, TulAmmo 8M3 7.62x39mm 124gr Hollow Point Gel Test
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Just don't buy Red Army stuff it's garbage
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I also would go with Tula 8m3 or Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Golden Tiger has my vote...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Golden Tiger or the Yugo surplus that was available a few years ago.

<<<. Sitting on about 10k of GT.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
How is your wolf ammo for accuracy? What is your concept of SHTF? Stack for later range use?
Questions you may want to ask yourself. For long range storage and best performance, Yugo M67. For devastating performance against 2 legged critters, the Tula 8M3, along with the mentioned M67. The M67 is corrosive and a lot of folks shy away from that, but no real need in it.
If your wolf is good to you and Wolf Poly HP is a favorite of my rifle, then it is cheap to stack and the sealed stuff is back in full force and affordable. GT was good in the past according to the fans, but it has fallen on suspect quality of late. It may be corrected, it may not. Some call a misfire or more in every 100 rounds acceptable, I don't.

Happy Shopping
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is your wolf ammo for accuracy? What is your concept of SHTF? Stack for later range use?
Questions you may want to ask yourself. For long range storage and best performance, Yugo M67. For devastating performance against 2 legged critters, the Tula 8M3, along with the mentioned M67. The M67 is corrosive and a lot of folks shy away from that, but no real need in it.
If your wolf is good to you and Wolf Poly HP is a favorite of my rifle, then it is cheap to stack and the sealed stuff is back in full force and affordable. GT was good in the past according to the fans, but it has fallen on suspect quality of late. It may be corrected, it may not. Some call a misfire or more in every 100 rounds acceptable, I don't.

Happy Shopping
View Quote
Stack deep for range use, SHTF ammo is pistol calibers and 5.56

I'm not looking for crazy accuracy with my AK's, they are my fun guns to blast away with.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you answered your own question. If you are looking for long storage, the Wolf "Mil Spec" is sealed around the primer and neck. It should perform pretty much as the Poly, and give you some life options.
Check it out and see if it works for you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
silver or golden bear??
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I would go with golden tiger. The stuff is loaded hot, sealed neck and primer, lacquered case so it won't rust. The bullet is fmj boat tail but the inside the tip of the bullet is hollow which helps with expand like the Yugo m67 ammo. Best of all its non corrosive and you can fit 1000 rounds in a 50cal ammo can. I prefer to make 120 round battle packs by vacuum sealing them with a food saver. If you do it right it makes a giant block of ammo. You can get it at at sg ammo. Same price or less as wolf with more better features. Google golden tiger 7.62x39 bullet. There is alot of cutaways showing the bullet insides.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]
In terms of terminal effect only, notwithstanding accuracy and reliability, which are mainly determined by your own rifle:

The very best available in 7.62x39mm is Federal Fusion.

Also very good but slightly less expensive is S&B 123 gr soft point and Hornady SST (Zombiemax).

Also very good but even less expensive are virtually any 120ish gr soft point. Tula 154 gr soft point did expand in one of my tests, but 154 gr is lower velocity so it is likely to fail to expand at a closer range than the 120ish gr projectiles and it has a more curved trajectory.

With the exception of 8M3, none of the Russian hollow point ammo is likely to expand.

M67, Golden Tiger, and a few other types of FMJ tend to yaw earlier and cut a wider path than other FMJ, but this distinction is fairly minor. FMJ, even the better stuff is nowhere even close to as effective as projectiles that expand and/or fragment reliably. If 7.62x39mm was my go-to SHTF rifle, I would buy enough Federal Fusion to fill my first line gear, zero, and have a couple boxes left over and I'd also buy a bunch of S&B 123gr soft point. I'd document the dope between the two cartridges and maybe also get a bunch of whatever cheap Russian 120ish gr soft point and document that dope also. Train with the cheap Russian stuff and stack the S&B deep as I can.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yep, 8M3
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tula 8M3. Best performing stuff out there terminal ballistics wise until you go to American made, brass cased hunting ammo.

Member here posted this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ENhmMKuaVU
Yep, 8M3
While 8M3 is certainly badass, my opinion is that the wounding mechanism (fragmentation) isn't as dependable at longer range as expansion from soft points. I do think that it is more damaging at close range, but for a general purpose hunting, zombie space aliens, and rainy day defense load, soft points are more versatile and more barrier blind.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer the 154gr SP Tulammo. It's an actual hunting bullet compared to other commie bullets and expands as such. Plus it's pretty darn cheap. Of course these threads usually produce as many choices as posts...like others said you can't go wrong with 8M3 either.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is better but for a cheap, general issue round, 8m3 is good enough.  It beats the hell out of ball for just a touch more money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While 8M3 is certainly badass, my opinion is that the wounding mechanism (fragmentation) isn't as dependable at longer range as expansion from soft points. I do think that it is more damaging at close range, but for a general purpose hunting, zombie space aliens, and rainy day defense load, soft points are more versatile and more barrier blind.
There is better but for a cheap, general issue round, 8m3 is good enough.  It beats the hell out of ball for just a touch more money.
So does 120-124 gr soft point, but over a wider velocity range. And, while I haven't tested for barrier performance, soft points should generally do better.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I prefer the 154gr SP Tulammo. It's an actual hunting bullet compared to other commie bullets and expands as such. Plus it's pretty darn cheap. Of course these threads usually produce as many choices as posts...like others said you can't go wrong with 8M3 either.
View Quote
What do you mean by "actual hunting bullet"? Is there a difference in construction between the 124 and 154 gr Tula soft points?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have read where some shooters using the new 8M3 ammo arent having very good accuracy results.

If the round is really good at expanding,its not much good if the accuracy sucks.

I havent shot any of the new 8M3 to see if the accuracy is good or not but its something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This and I would like to have some 8M3 for shits and giggles.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top