Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/5/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
I asked this in GD and someone said "NO", but I just want to make sure before I run it through my Russian Saiga.  Some people on the interwebs claim that Wolf did at one time import corrosive ammo, so IDK.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks rusted not corrosive. Steal will rust if not protected and looks like the shellac or lacquer that was on that round wore off. Corrosive tends to be with the chemicals the powder and primers are made of.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Any com-block ammo could be corrosive. That won't ever go away.
Wolf or Barnaul is probably about the safest to avoid it. If you are concerned, clean the rifle after you shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, most probably corrosive.
After firing, Scrub barrel/bolt/gas system with dishwashing detergent & hot water, dry & lube, all will be good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any com-block ammo could be corrosive. That won't ever go away.
Wolf or Barnaul is probably about the safest to avoid it. If you are concerned, clean the rifle after you shoot it.
View Quote

Really?  What if it's marked non-corrosive?  Almost everything for sale these days says non-corrosive.

ETA: Truth be told I hate cleaning guns, and a few guns in my collection that 1. aren't used for self defense, and 2. work well without cleaning, don't get regularly cleaned.  This would include my Saiga and my 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
That's old 2000's era Wolf.  Not corrosive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That's late-model stuff; likely not corrosive.

Ammo makers have been known to slip some corrosive primers into their commercial "non-corrosive" ammo, but that's usually found in non-branded "white box" ammo (I just bought a shit-ton of corrosive LCW ammo). If it's in Wolf-branded boxes (and the dealer didn't include some caveat in the listing) then I'd say you're safe.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.  Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Me personally, I treat all surplus and foreign made ammo as corrosive and clean the gun as such.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
polymer coating on the case is a dead giveaway of post-2005 production, it would be non-corrosive for sure at that point, the only questionable stuff would have been that from the late 1990s which would all be lacquered case. Because it is both poly coated case and lacquer sealed at the case mouth and primer pocket it will be made some time from 2005 and 2008 because before 2005 it would be lacquered case, and after 2008 it would not have lacquer sealant on the case mouth and primer pocket.

www.SGAmmo.com
View Quote

Straight from the source of my ammo purchases... thank you!

ETA: got this stuff from a relative's estate, otherwise I go through you.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top