Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2016 9:24:38 PM EDT
Revisited an SKS for the first time in a while last weekend.  OMG M67 is good ammo!  Amazing how it is older than me and still goes bang every time with decent accuracy.  

Hot humid and sticky weather was no problem.  Brought a bottle of cheap Lowes bought multipurpose oil and hosed her down before and after.  Waited 2 days to clean and not a micron of rust
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Oiling over the corrosive salts will keep the rust away for a while but oil evaporates & as soon as the moisture gets through the oil your gun will rust.
A rinse with water will flush out the salts, then clean & oil as normal will keep the rust away forever.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oiling over the corrosive salts will keep the rust away for a while but oil evaporates & as soon as the moisture gets through the oil your gun will rust.
A rinse with water will flush out the salts, then clean & oil as normal will keep the rust away forever.
View Quote

He speaks the truth. I thought the same thing until I went to check one day and saw rust in the gas tube. Flush the salts away with hot water then clean as normal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Even better.
Make up a solution of  Ballistoil  and water.
1 part Ballistoil in 9 parts water.  This is also known as moose milk.

I use this at the range or very soon after I get home.  Swab out the bore gas tube, bolt etc... Then clean as usual.
You will find that just this is very good by itself for cleaning.

If you are busy you can just do the initial cleaning and come back to it in a few days.
The water evaporates and leaves a fine coating of oil behind.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I flush with hot soapy water then wipe down & re-lube with Ballistol, Most of the Ballistol will dilute with the water and take a lot of carbon with it.

I like the Yugo M67 too. Got a small pile in the shop. But last crate I saw for sale online was $500. Getting close to the cost of Privi Partisan, and that's a more accurate round.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought around 2K rounds years ago when it was dirt cheap.   I have shot my M67 years ago, but stopped shooting my SKSs until recently.  

Never had any issues with corrosive ammo because I always fully take down my milsurp rifles after shooting and submerge all the smaller parts in a bucket or jar of Ed's Red.  The rest of the metal parts get liberally sprayed and wiped off with the same solution.  Even using synthetic ATF, it is less than $30 to make up a gallon of it and it lasts a long time.   I do not have a parts washer, but use coffee filters and a funnel to filter out junk and carbon from the solution before I pour it back into its container.  Ballistol is an excellent product and great for corrosive ammo or bp shooting, but is not as aggressive of a cleaner and solvent as Ed's Red.  The best thing about using Ballistol is that you can use it on every firearm you own and it will not mess up wood or plastic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I only shot Yugo 7.62x39 thru my bolt gun while it is corrosive and cleaning bolt gun is easier, accuracy is not much better than Barnaul and Yugo is more expensive. If your range does not permit steel case ammo with bi-metal bullets, Yugo is an option compare to more expensive brass case 7.62x39. It is not reloadable, attractive if you don't reload.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you guys disassemble/clean the gas tube each time after shooting corrosive ammo?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you guys disassemble/clean the gas tube each time after shooting corrosive ammo?
View Quote

I do, but only because it's no trouble to do so. If I had something like an ultimak tube that made it trickier I'd probably just run water through it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you mean remove the gas tube from the rifle then yes, ALWAYS! Failure to do this is probably the biggest cause of corrosion related failure. Make sure you clean the tube AND the gas port with warm water to dissolve and carry away the corrosive residue. Then a very light oil to keep things from rusting.

If you mean disassemble the gas tube itself from the wooden handguard/cover. No, that is not necessary.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
you can still get Yugo crates from classic and sgammo in the mid $300 delivered
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
This is my favorite 7.62 ammo by far
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#12]
M67 is great ammo. Corrosive but good. I've always just hosed the guns down with WD40 and never had an issue. My only 2 complaints are it's Berdan primed and that darn red primer sealant flaking off.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd love to get my hands on some. Maybe next year...
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top