Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/14/2016 3:08:51 AM EDT
I have heard and read great things about M67 Yugo ball. I will say its the most accurate factory ammo I have shot. One of the things I have read more than once is that it is hotter than M43 or other comparable loads.

I figured all of the modern Russian imports were approximates of M43 ball.

With that said I did some chrono work this past weekend in my Two Rivers Tabuk clone with 16" barrel.

This is what I found out

WPA 10 shot average velocity 2331fps Spread 78fps SD 29
M67 10 shot average velocity 2277 fps Spread 99fps SD 30

The SD's are lower than I expected but I was surprised to find out the WPA stuff is in fact hotter than the M67 which is supposed to be hot ammo.

The M76 stuff was dated 1977

M67 is supposed to have a 123 gr bullet and WPA is supposed to also have a 123gr bullet. Both are flat based.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have heard and read great things about M67 Yugo ball. I will say its the most accurate factory ammo I have shot. One of the things I have read more than once is that it is hotter than M43 or other comparable loads.

I figured all of the modern Russian imports were approximates of M43 ball.

With that said I did some chrono work this past weekend in my Two Rivers Tabuk clone with 16" barrel.

This is what I found out

WPA 10 shot average velocity 2331fps Spread 78fps SD 29
M67 10 shot average velocity 2277 fps Spread 99fps SD 30

The SD's are lower than I expected but I was surprised to find out the WPA stuff is in fact hotter than the M67 which is supposed to be hot ammo.

The M76 stuff was dated 1977

M67 is supposed to have a 123 gr bullet and WPA is supposed to also have a 123gr bullet. Both are flat based.
View Quote

I went through my data and my findings were the same for the WPA from a 16" AR in 7.62x39 2341fps sd 77 es 35 for a 10 shot group
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
We're talking about the new WPA in the green boxes, right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
my stuff is at least 2 years old
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
M67 isn't actually all that hot; I'm not sure where it got that reputation but I do see it often stated. Most every chrono I've seen shows it to be comparable to standard commercial ammo in velocity, though it does tend to be loaded more consistently. Good ammo, but definitely not hot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're talking about the new WPA in the green boxes, right?
View Quote

no, black box but that stuff is pretty cool for the anal retentive AK shooter who wants to shoot authentically loaded ammo
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
M67 isn't actually all that hot; I'm not sure where it got that reputation but I do see it often stated. Most every chrono I've seen shows it to be comparable to standard commercial ammo in velocity, though it does tend to be loaded more consistently. Good ammo, but definitely not hot.
View Quote

Seconding this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff - thanks for posting. I also thought because of much earlier reports that M67 was 'hotter' than commercial ammo. Maybe it is hotter than the commercial ammo of 20 years ago. Now that I have established Golden Tiger as my 'standard' ammo, maybe I should go back and try some of each kind of Wolf I have to check for accuracy. I have noticed a peculiar thing - you might try a particular ammo and decide its not accurate. Then, usually much later, you try it again and it turns out to be more accurate. What has obviously happened is the shooter has learned or changed something in his technique or maybe the rifle or sight is different. To put it another way, you develop confidence when you start getting good results with a certain load, and that confident attitude actually improves your shooting with an ammo you had previously set aside.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My only problem with Wolf is that they're an importer, not a manufacturer. So just because this lot of Wolf is good doesn't mean the next one will.

I used to avoid Wolf Black Box and stick with Wolf WPA, never had any complaints, but over the years I've heard that there's no difference, just different packaging. And that Wolf has been purchased from many different factories over the years.

Now I've also heard of Tula being underpowered, but all the fps data I've seen says it's as fast or faster than the rest. And that the difference is Tula using a slower burning powder. I DO know that the burn rate of a powder can make a difference in felt recoil, even if FPS is the same.

So if M67 doesn't chrono any faster, I won't argue. But I know it's more accurate than any steel ammo out of my WASR, Draco, two 7.62x39 ARs, VZ2008 or PTR-32.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My only problem with Wolf is that they're an importer, not a manufacturer. So just because this lot of Wolf is good doesn't mean the next one will.

I used to avoid Wolf Black Box and stick with Wolf WPA, never had any complaints, but over the years I've heard that there's no difference, just different packaging. And that Wolf has been purchased from many different factories over the years.

Now I've also heard of Tula being underpowered, but all the fps data I've seen says it's as fast or faster than the rest. And that the difference is Tula using a slower burning powder. I DO know that the burn rate of a powder can make a difference in felt recoil, even if FPS is the same.

So if M67 doesn't chrono any faster, I won't argue. But I know it's more accurate than any steel ammo out of my WASR, Draco, two 7.62x39 ARs, VZ2008 or PTR-32.
View Quote

I have also seen the same, but good luck trying to change the momentum of that determination.

In the end, the most accurate stuff is usually on the slower side. I'm not sure why speed (and we are only talking about +/- 150 fps) is such a sought after trait.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't  get so hung up on bullet speed. Terminal ballistics is more important. The M67 is pretty good stuff. We just don't  get the good ammo here any more.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top