Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2016 9:34:58 PM EDT
SGAMMO has the following wolf ammo on sale but it's the same price as Golden Tiger.
Which is the better Ammo?
Wolf
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw that today. I'd like to get some but don't need 1000 rounds for testing :)
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Its made by Barnaul which is good stuff so far for me.

This is what we have been asking for now for some time,lacquered steel cases with sealed primers and necks.

Im in for at least 2- 4 cases at this price
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
For around $10.00 more, I'd get the GT.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
+1, Barnaul is my favorite ammo AFTER Golden Tiger. Both are well sealed for long term storage but GT is the only ammo that has a boat tailed projectile for better accuracy.

In my WASR it doesn't really matter, I don't see any difference in accuracy, but my Draco and other 7.62x39 rifles will show a noticeable difference.

No too long ago SGAmmo had tins of generic Barnaul prod. that looked to be sealed just like the new Wolf in this thread, may have been the same stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1, Barnaul is my favorite ammo AFTER Golden Tiger. Both are well sealed for long term storage but GT is the only ammo that has a boat tailed projectile for better accuracy.

In my WASR it doesn't really matter, I don't see any difference in accuracy, but my Draco and other 7.62x39 rifles will show a noticeable difference.

No too long ago SGAmmo had tins of generic Barnaul prod. that looked to be sealed just like the new Wolf in this thread, may have been the same stuff.
View Quote

Boat tail bullets don't necessarily mean better accuracy. Lots of bullets are flat based and shoot just fine. Now some rifles may prefer a boat tailed bullet, but that is more on an individual basis than an across the board fact.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Darn! I can't make up my mind. I prefer the GT but some of the 2015 lots have had some ftf issues.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Darn! I can't make up my mind. I prefer the GT but some of the 2015 lots have had some ftf issues.
View Quote

I was concerned about this two. However, I broke open a 2015 dated case and went through exactly 750 rounds.
All without any failures. Still the same great ammo it's always been, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was concerned about this two. However, I broke open a 2015 dated case and went through exactly 750 rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of rifle was you using?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel like some lots of the same stuff from various manufacturers differ.  I have a case of gt that is really accurate, and a case I bought more recently that is no more accurate than any tula/wolf.  So usually I just go cheapest now
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Never knew wolf offered this. New product?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Never knew wolf offered this. New product?
View Quote
yea I think SG just posted it recently.  I am gonna pick up a case

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Boat tail bullets don't necessarily mean better accuracy. Lots of bullets are flat based and shoot just fine. Now some rifles may prefer a boat tailed bullet, but that is more on an individual basis than an across the board fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been long established that GT is the most accurate of the cheap steel case. This is across the board with every kind of 7.62X39 gun. Naturally there have been exceptions but for the most part it is reliably accurate. For me it shoots just like Yugo M67. in fact, after getting a stash of it I sold my M67 to pay for it. It shoots just as well and is non-corrosive, so there is no question. Obviously if new ammo comes out and shoots just as well as GT, that's a different story. I guess we'll see how the range reports go on the new Wolf. I still have plenty of the old Wolf that is simply blasting ammo to me now. The GT cut my Wolf groups in half.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It has been long established that GT is the most accurate of the cheap steel case. This is across the board with every kind of 7.62X39 gun. Naturally there have been exceptions but for the most part it is reliably accurate. For me it shoots just like Yugo M67. in fact, after getting a stash of it I sold my M67 to pay for it. It shoots just as well and is non-corrosive, so there is no question. Obviously if new ammo comes out and shoots just as well as GT, that's a different story. I guess we'll see how the range reports go on the new Wolf. I still have plenty of the old Wolf that is simply blasting ammo to me now. The GT cut my Wolf groups in half.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not saying GT isn't accurate.  I just hate to see people crediting a feature of a product (Boat Tail Bullet)  as the sole reason for a specific quality (Accuracy).

Boat tailed bullets haven't always been at the top of the accuracy totem pole, in fact up until the late 1990's Flat based bullets ruled the target shooting world.

Boat tailed bullets were invented to help reduce atmospheric drag and improve trajectories and retained energy at a slight expense of accuracy.

GT could shoot just as well with a flat based bullet, who knows.  Accuracy of a particular brand of ammo can come from many different things, saying the boat tailed bullet is specifically the cause is wrong that is all.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For around $10.00 more, I'd get the GT.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a case of this "new" Wolf. As far as the date stamps say this is Dec 2015 manufactured, leading me to believe that it is in fact the same white box Barnaul recently offered through SGA but repackaged by Wolf. The only downside I've found on first impression is that the boxes are big enough that they don't fit a full case worth neatly into a standard .50 cal can. Fat 50s should fit fine but I don't have any of those. No shooting impressions as of yet (that requires time off).
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm wondering about the real difference in these ammo's, too.
Last time I bout 7.62x39 in bulk it was all about the same, but it was about $60 for a 700 rd tin.
I'm wondering if 1000 rds of GT is even worth the $10 difference over the new Wolf in performance.
AK's aren't known for their accuracy, and $10 is $10.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
AK accuracy is better than most people think (especially with US made barrels) and largely starts with using better ammo and a good trigger. You start getting into minutia after those two.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a case of this "new" Wolf. As far as the date stamps say this is Dec 2015 manufactured, leading me to believe that it is in fact the same white box Barnaul recently offered through SGA but repackaged by Wolf. The only downside I've found on first impression is that the boxes are big enough that they don't fit a full case worth neatly into a standard .50 cal can. Fat 50s should fit fine but I don't have any of those. No shooting impressions as of yet (that requires time off).
View Quote

It is the same, and Sam has confirmed as much.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that would make sense. Good to know. I'm waffling on buying another case or two to set myself up nicely for training ammo for a while. Having two more mouths to feed (one in .308, the other in Enfamil) makes that prospect somewhat bleak but the temptation is still there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#21]
If I recall correctly,  I read something regarding the owner of SGammo talking about a HP version of this round coming soon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Fuck it. In for a case.  I love GT, but I'll save $10 and try it out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Ford-Chevy-Dodge

GT is good stuff and has been very meticulous in the past with QC. Lately, not so much but probably still better than many brands. A boat tail round isn't inherently more accurate although it has some other virtues.

The wolf is good stuff, and some prefer it over other brands. It is all commercial ammo anyway, so unless you go with the Uly stuff that is corrosive (very good BTW), or are lucky enough to get some older ammo that in reality could be reaching the end of life for many reasons, starting with it could well be over 50 years old and have questionable storage, stick the better brands.

You know, Ford or Chevy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am not saying GT isn't accurate.  I just hate to see people crediting a feature of a product (Boat Tail Bullet)  as the sole reason for a specific quality (Accuracy).

Boat tailed bullets haven't always been at the top of the accuracy totem pole, in fact up until the late 1990's Flat based bullets ruled the target shooting world.

Boat tailed bullets were invented to help reduce atmospheric drag and improve trajectories and retained energy at a slight expense of accuracy.

GT could shoot just as well with a flat based bullet, who knows.  Accuracy of a particular brand of ammo can come from many different things, saying the boat tailed bullet is specifically the cause is wrong that is all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wanna explain that part again about how boat tailed bullets reduce atmospheric drag and retain more energy and improve trajectories yet all that is somehow contributing to a slight decrease in accuracy ?? Cause last I checked all 3 of those attributes actually ENHANCED accuracy...
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes those things are all important, but they do not essentially effect the accuracy of a bullet. Accuracy is not about how flat a bullet flies, or how fast it flies, or how much of its original velocity it retains. Accuracy simply means the ability of a bullet to consistently perform time after time hitting the same place that your firearm aims each time the trigger is pulled. A boat tail bullet actually is harder to make consistently than a flat base bullet. Therefore in theory a boattail bullet will always be less consistent and less accurate than a flat base bullet. The reduction in wind drift, aerodynamic drag, and a flatter trajectory do help you in being able to hit your target at a further distance due to errors in range estimation and wind drift calculations, but they do not make the bullet inherently more accurate. In terms of steel case Russian ammo it is really a moot point.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#27]
It's decent stuff IMO. Good velocity, but I've tested the GT to be faster:

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Shot 160 rounds of each today.

GT was inconsistent in the accuracy dept.

Wolf (new batch from Sam - laqured) was very consistent accuracy wise.

I won't be buying any more GT.

Rifle was SLR-107
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Does the Wolf fragment like GT?  I always presumed that's why people liked GT, for terminal performance, not potential accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does the Wolf fragment like GT?  I always presumed that's why people liked GT, for terminal performance, not potential accuracy.
View Quote

The reason people like GT is because it's lacquer-coated and sealed and because it's typically loaded more consistently than other eastern European commercial ammo. It has nothing to do with terminal ballistics; in this area GT is no better than the other commercial imports.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my first case of golden tiger 3 weeks ago and tested it in my custom savage bolt action with 18 in barrel.  I shot 2 5 round groups at 100yds and it was right at 1 moa. I fired 40 more rounds that day at various things and they all preformed.  All shooting is done suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Just received another 1000 of GT last week.  If I could hide it from the wife, I'd order a 1000 of the Wolf.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The reason people like GT is because it's lacquer-coated and sealed and because it's typically loaded more consistently than other eastern European commercial ammo. It has nothing to do with terminal ballistics; in this area GT is no better than the other commercial imports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding ding ding. Spot on. GT is pretty accurate, very consistent, inexpensive, and seems cleaner and less flashy than other commercial imports. It's probably the highest quality bulk ammo that is available in the caliber. However, it's still just an FMJ; there are much better options available for social use (deer, hog, protecting home & hearth, etc.). Uly 8HP and 8M3, Hornady SST, Fed Fusion... I'd love to see some testing of Lehigh's new bullet. If it fragments as reliably as other bullets of that style by the company, it will probably be the best option available for home defense (very accurate, early upset, spectacular fragmentation).
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Well a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to go in for half of the wolf stuff?  Talked me into it.  I said I wouldn't buy another 1000 for a while.  Never said anything about buying 500.  I still need about 3000 more before I feel too comfortable shooting much of it.  I've got a bad feeling about this upcoming election.  If Hildabeast wins all bets are off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to go in for half of the wolf stuff?  Talked me into it.  I said I wouldn't buy another 1000 for a while.  Never said anything about buying 500.  I still need about 3000 more before I feel too comfortable shooting much of it.  I've got a bad feeling about this upcoming election.  If Hildabeast wins all bets are off.
View Quote

Same here...Luckily I had just placed an order before the orlando thing to rotate the last case of the poly stuff into range use. Still, I'll be placing some more orders with Sam before November. Need to start stocking up on the Wolf Gold.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top