Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2016 4:41:34 PM EDT

Went to my local Cabela's in Buda, TX yesterday to grab some more boxes of this particular 7.62x39 ammo.  Guess what, not a single box on the shelf; previously there had been cases of this stuff on the shelf.  I asked one of the clerks if the ammo went AWOL.  He said that it's a Russian import ammo and they can't get any more of it.

Me being the skeptic, I researched to see if this is true.  So far, it sounds like it's BS.  The ammo is made in Hungary.  I haven't contacted the importer because it's the weekend.

Anybody in the know, can you confirm or deny that this ammo is no longer available?  If it isn't available, then that's a crying shame because this stuff is so inexpensive.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
All I know for sure is that I was buying it at cabelas too and all of a sudden it's gone.  Seems lIke something is up IMO
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've snagged this stuff at my local Academy Sports in the past for $8 or $9/box. Decent ammo but for me didn't perform any better than Silver Bear which I can find easier & cheaper.
I don't see much of this for sale online but it's out there. Thought I last saw it at Wideners or United Nations Ammo.

I'll say one thing about that zinc coating, it may rust fast but it's pretty slick. I was manually unloading some mags and noticed the zinc was popping out much easier than the lacquered stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a case from Sportsmansguide.com a year or two ago. Has anybody checked there for availability?

ETA: I just looked on Sportsmansguide - they have 500rd and 260rd lots available HERE
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I got some of it back around November at Cabelas for @$5 a box

Word is when the Herters(Tula) x39 ammo deal Cabelas was getting went belly up they substituted the MFS to fill the void for the Herters ammo.

Havent seen any steel cased x39 at Cabelas online or in store since late November
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally called the importer, RUAG Ammotec USA in Florida.  The answer I got was they weren't importing the ammo because of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.  No other explanation was given; don't know if the supply line was cut off or the company is protesting the invasion by choosing to not import.  However, I don't think the latter would be the case because it would damage RUAG's profit line.  So, I'm thinking the supply was cut off at the source.

I guess I'll start stocking up on TULA...
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I finally called the importer, RUAG Ammotec USA in Florida.  The answer I got was they weren't importing the ammo because of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.  No other explanation was given; don't know if the supply line was cut off or the company is protesting the invasion by choosing to not import.  However, I don't think the latter would be the case because it would damage RUAG's profit line.  So, I'm thinking the supply was cut off at the source.

I guess I'll start stocking up on TULA...
View Quote

Interesting.

Stack the brown bear,GT,Monarch,etc for the long haul. Shoot the Tula for practice and plinking
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
How is the MFS ammo? I have 1K of it - should I store it and shoot my Wolf, or vice versa?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is the MFS ammo? I have 1K of it - should I store it and shoot my Wolf, or vice versa?
View Quote

I have a bunch of the MFS in the 154 grain soft point that im keeping stashed away.

I would certainly use up and shoot the Wolf long before the MFS got shot
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I miss MFS

Use to buy 9mm by the thousand for less than $150

Shit shot good and was hot

Still got about a thousand or so 7.62 loaded up but I don't want to shoot it because I can't replace it
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
154 gr SP is a Tula load. These ammo companies over there are very good at re-branding.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top