Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/28/2016 11:40:20 PM EDT
Which 5.45, other than the surplus, do you know that has the air pocket?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there any 5.45 that doesn't have the air pocket?
View Quote

Almost anything non-surplus is going to be missing the 7N6 and successor's air gap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hornady has 5.45 loaded with their V-MAX (hollow point with polymer tip) bullets.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Almost anything non-surplus is going to be missing the 7N6 and successor's air gap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As of a few years ago, most commercial 5.45 (possibly excluding the weird 55gr stuff) had air pockets.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As of a few years ago, most commercial 5.45 (possibly excluding the weird 55gr stuff) had air pockets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was my understanding that the commercial bullets were 60 grains due to the air gap being filled up, versus the 53 grains of 7N6 that had the gap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get 7n6?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just get 7n6?
View Quote

Shhhhhhhhh

Don't buy genuine 7n6. It is "corrosive" and shooting it is like pouring Sulfuric Acid down your barrel. You have to register as a cop killer it with ATF if you buy any. It will give you Herpes if you touch it.

Leave it all for me. I will dispose of it properly
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was my understanding that the commercial bullets were 60 grains due to the air gap being filled up, versus the 53 grains of 7N6 that had the gap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 7 gr difference is probably more a result of switching from steel to lead.

Some random pics/disscussions from the web:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/19-ammunition-reloading/163745-5-45-non-corrosive-w-air-pocket-ammo.html

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155556

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 7 gr difference is probably more a result of switching from steel to lead.

Some random pics/disscussions from the web:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/19-ammunition-reloading/163745-5-45-non-corrosive-w-air-pocket-ammo.html

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155556

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/P1010035_zpsb9e66a8c.jpg

Holy forgotten time warp!
That pic is mine. I took those a coupe years ago. Still have them sitting on my desk at work.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not kept up with what is new in this caliber, but a few years ago the commercial Tula and Barnaul had the air pocket and Ulyanovsk did not. The Uly also used the tracer jacket and a two part lead core. The lead front core was the same as the tracer (Uly was/is the primary producer of this load for the military) and a second lead core was inserted where the tracer mix would have been. These are also even heavier than the Tula/ Barnaul at something like 70gr. To the point that some people had stabilization/ accuracy issues in some rifles. The little Romanian 5.45 I looked at had a very small air gap in the tip. I don't recall what the Vympel produced lead core was like. I'm fairly certain it was on par with the Tula load.

1DD
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top