Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2015 7:05:44 PM EDT
Which is better quality?  Last longer in storage? will group better?  WPA brown bear or silver bear
I was think about selling a few tin and buying some commercial stuff for plinking.  Just for ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not found a commercial import 5.45x39 that performs as well as 7N6 in terms of accuracy.

Brown/Silver Bear & Monarch (all Barnaul prod.) seems the best of the bunch out of my rifle, and Red Army Standard was the worst. I don't think the heavier RAS bullet liked my barrel twist rate.

As for shelf life, no one's figured out if 20 to 30 year old surplus ammo will last longer over time than new production commercial ammo. The corrosive stuff is well known to have a LONG shelf life if it's stored properly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet may be 5.45 VMAX for accuracy and performance.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
"I've not found a commercial import 5.45x39 that performs as well as 7N6 in terms of accuracy."

My experience as well. Surplus 7n6 is cheaper per round too. MY guns LOVE it.

As far as cleaning goes, the cheap commercial stuff may be "non-corrosive" but I have found it MUCH dirtier than the 7n6. Frankly, I don't spend that much extra time cleaning up after 7n6. I suppose it is only a hassle because 1) you really  NEED to do it the same day you shoot and 2) you really MUST clean the gun every time you shoot regardless of how many rounds you actually shot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
copy that
Will stick with 7n6.  Well as long as I can.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
You should try and sample some of the new Hornady loads too. My 5.45x39 rigs love them.

http://www.hornady.com/store/5.45X39-60-gr-V-MAX-Steel-Case/

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top