Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/27/2015 8:17:37 PM EDT
Guy at my range has ~1400 rounds of 7.62x39 he's looking to sell. It's Norinco so I know it's not the best quality, but he's only asking $200 for the lot. Says it's about half HP and half FMJ.

Couldn't find any prices online, so I was hoping you fellas could tell me whether it's a good deal or not. Think it's a good deal? Any idea what this stuff goes for off the shelf? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is Silver Box, stick a magnet on the boolit.
If it sticks, you have the holy grail for preppers.
That is the round Clinton banned from import.

I have never had a dud Norinco. And I shot 4000+.

The Government banned them because they think they defeat vests.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guy at my range has ~1400 rounds of 7.62x39 he's looking to sell. It's Norinco so I know it's not the best quality, but he's only asking $200 for the lot. Says it's about half HP and half FMJ.

Couldn't find any prices online, so I was hoping you fellas could tell me whether it's a good deal or not. Think it's a good deal? Any idea what this stuff goes for off the shelf? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Buy it
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy it

This.

Toss the cash in his hand and run like the wind
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it sticks, you have the holy grail for preppers.
That is the round Clinton banned from import.

View Quote

Magnet will stick to all Norinco ammo, it all has a steel jacket bullet whether it has steel or lead core.  Only way to tell is to pull a bullet and check.  If it's a boat tail bullet it's steel core.  If it has a flat base bullet, it's lead core.   You can also see the core on the end of the bullet.  Poke it with a small screwdriver.  If it's soft - Lead.  Hard - Steel.

Either way $200 for 1400 rounds is a killer deal, buy it!!!  I still have a few thousand rounds I'm shooting through, it's good ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
OP needs to FO and FO fast.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
About half market rate - (give or take).  That's a good deal even if corrosive (which it probably isn't).  If it's copper washed on stripper clips in spam cans, probably corrosive.  If it's not, probably not.  Should say on the box.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't matter, it's a bad deal and don't take it. You should send me his contact info so I can spread the bad word about this guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol, sounds like the ayes have it. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Good choice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty good price. Back in the day when Chinese 7.62 was about all there was out there, no one was complaining about its quality... I've had more problems with Russian 7.62...

The Chinese did not make HP in this caliber. Maybe he meant SP?

As for the boat tail test for steel core, the Chinese also made boat tail lead core in this caliber... The only way to know for sure is to cut open a projectile.

1DD
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Good price . DD above covered most of what you need to know.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Picked it up the other day and went straight to the range. There were actually 1440 rounds in total! 3 different kinds, Norinco SP, Norinco FMJ (and I checked it with a magnet, it's definitely steel core!), and TCW HP. It all shot as well as or better than the Wolf and TulAmmo HP I'd been using. If anyone's interested, I can take a look when I get home and post the results.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Buy it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy it

Good find.  You should post some pics for us guys that dream of that stuff
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Picked it up the other day and went straight to the range. There were actually 1440 rounds in total! 3 different kinds, Norinco SP, Norinco FMJ (and I checked it with a magnet, it's definitely steel core!), and TCW HP. It all shot as well as or better than the Wolf and TulAmmo HP I'd been using. If anyone's interested, I can take a look when I get home and post the results.
View Quote

That doesn't mean it's steel-core, it could simply have a bimetal jacket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Dang I thought I did good when I picked up these 200 rounds for $30

What headstamps do you have?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer, I was all excited about that.

On the bright side, it was still a heck of a deal, and now I know which one to blow through at the range!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it sticks, you have the holy grail for preppers. A magnet sticks to all Norinco
That is the round Clinton banned from import.            He banned all Chinese guns and ammo

View Quote
No. Banned because it was cheap and AWB came into effect
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Meant to post this ages ago. Booty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Be real careful about the Chinese 7.62x39 ammo.... regardless of what the box claims, treat it as corrosive and clean with water.

Lots of Chinese ammo was sold as and labeled as non-corrosive but really was corrosive.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Be real careful about the Chinese 7.62x39 ammo.... regardless of what the box claims, treat it as corrosive and clean with water.

Lots of Chinese ammo was sold as and labeled as non-corrosive but really was corrosive.....
View Quote

Dang, I had no idea. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I traded a sealed spam can of tula for norinco silver box ammo from my local gun shop. Half of the boxes contained dark brown almost black cased ammo the other half was copper washed. Its better ammo than tula and is true milspec stuff with sealed bulllet and primer. Stuff can sit out on the ground and be rained on or submerged for two weeks and still fire. Its good stuff
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I am drooling for some.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a few hundred rounds of the old green box stuff that says steel core on the box.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a few hundred rounds of the old green box stuff that says steel core on the box.
View Quote

Sounds like you have too much. I'd be happy to take some of that off your hands.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top