Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
Just noticed a local gunshop has some China Sport .308. Copper washed in a Black and Gray box. Used the magnet trick and it's steel core. $14.95 per box of 20. Is it worth buying?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It is good ammo. Not steel core, typical bi-metal jacket. At $15 a box I would pass. You should be able to get brass cased for that price. The Norinco 308 is commercial ammo, performance is about equal to some other countries surplus.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Got all 5 boxes for $65 out the door. The magnet was all over the tip of the bullet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]

$0.65/round isn't all that great a deal for that ammo which is generally comparable in construction/value/performance to more modern, commercially available equivalents like Wolf/BB/SB/etc. which can be had for ~$0.50/round delivered.

...but if you needed some .308/7.62x51 and it meets your expectations, then enjoy.

Next time, however, just remember you can likely obtain quality surplus, 145-149gr non-magnetic, brass-cased, non-corrosive .308/7.62 for the same price you paid for the Norinco/CS stuff you bought.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got plenty of 308. Steel core is not stuff you come across very often unless you had the foresight purchase it when it came in country. And at a good price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've got plenty of 308. Steel core is not stuff you come across very often unless you had the foresight purchase it when it came in country. And at a good price.
View Quote

Are you certain it is steel core aside from the magnet test?

I only ask because to the best of my knowledge from seeing/shooting various samples of this same stuff over the last 20 odd years...the Norinco/CS is NOT steel core.  It is simply a bi-metal jacket with a lead core like many common, commercially available, foreign ammos today such as Wolf, Brown Bear, etc.  Typically, the black/grey boxes are marked as such (steel cased/lead core/etc.)...no mention of the bi-metal jackets that I recall on the packaging...don't have any laying around to look to confirm that recollection.

Yes...the bullet will attract a magnet similar to what a "steel core" bullet will, but that test is generally useless to actually determine if the ammo is steel core or not.  Unless it is actually packaged as "Steel Core" and you want to confirm, try taking a kinetic/impact puller and pulling one apart and examining the bullet itself beyond the magnet test which won't generally give you any info in this situation.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The ammo you just bought is NOT steel core. It is lead core with a mild steel jacket, just like WOLF, Brown Bear or such. The magnet is sticking to the jacket. You may be confused by the copper wash(plating) of the jacket.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot tons of that stuff, mostly hot and reliable. It is similar to wolf or tula, just higher velocity.  Would also mention that I probably would not buy it unless I was prepared for the fact that in my experiences it does not age well -at least under unknown storage conditions. I purchased a few lots of the ammo at pawn shops and mom and pops that looked very clean (even sealed in tins), that had 20% duds/hangfires/ftfs. There were no obvious indications like oil contamination or weathering. I really like the ammo, at the time it was importation I preferred this to the other surplus options at the time that were quite good. Fwiw
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I kept a couple of boxes bought in the early 90s just for nostalgia.  Remembering the good old day has become a therapeutic pastime.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
NOT steel core.. I have cut these open to confirm. Be aware that some Chinese ".308" has corrosive primers. The stuff in spam cans was originally made for supplying a fellow communist group, but some ended up getting sold here. Once out of the packaging the military and commercial rounds look identical.

1DD
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#11]
My scar 17 loves that stuff.  Surprisingly accurate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The commercially boxed late 80's- 90's usually says lead core right on the box. Earlier stuff has steel core. With a strong magnet, you can detect a steel core even with a steel jacket, as you can feel a stronger attraction. It just takes practice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The commercially boxed late 80's- 90's usually says lead core right on the box. Earlier stuff has steel core. With a strong magnet, you can detect a steel core even with a steel jacket, as you can feel a stronger attraction. It just takes practice.
View Quote

Wouldn't a stronger magnet create a stronger attraction just by being stronger ? I have only cut open 2 rounds of Chicom 308 so my sample is small but I have never gotten anything close to a steel core in Chicom 308 . I did score some M-59 ball once
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are talking about .308 Winchester, not 7.62x39mm. There are no known steel core Chinese made .308 Winchester rounds, nor are there any from before the 80s.

If you can discern a steel core within a steel jacket vs. just a steel jacket, then you have a rare and unique gift.

1DD
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, there was some Chinese steel core .308 imported. It came in 300rd spam cans, four cans to a case. I bought an entire case long ago.
I cut the jacket away on a couple to verify the steel core.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Actually, there was some Chinese steel core .308 imported. It came in 300rd spam cans, four cans to a case. I bought an entire case long ago.
I cut the jacket away on a couple to verify the steel core.
View Quote

I wish I could say I believed you but myself and other cartridge collectors have examined the spam can Chinese .308 and found lead cored projectiles. Never say never, but your experience has to be the exception. Got any left?

I once swore that China never made brass cased 7.62x39mm until I was given one...

1DD
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I have some of the China Sports 308 ammo that I bought about 10 or more years ago. It says on the box Berdan Primed.Steel Cased.Non-Corrosive.Lead Core ...Head says 81 over 92. I paid $5 a box. The man had a wooden case of it. Good ammo to plink with. Wish I had bought more.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top