Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/3/2015 12:13:05 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a can for my GO TO rifle. It's already threaded in 1/2x28 and has a standard A2 flash hider installed. I already decided I'll be going with 5.56 M193 55gr ammunition because of my 1/9 twist barrel. I realize I could save money and go steel cased but I'd rather take it easier on the extractor (even though I know it can take it). There's better QC on the PMC X-Tac over the Tula anyway (unless I'm wrong). My question is...do I really need to get the sub-sonic stuff? Does it make a big difference? Also, how much more per round are we taking here? Lastly, how much does this impact my effective range / fragmentation?

I now realize, having this all typed out, that I may be asking more than I should. I have a good chunk of sources that give me answers to some of these questions but I ask here for more of a consensus. Essentially, I'm asking to be sold or talked out of this. Haha. Thank you!

I already have a legal NFA Trust set up. I know all the technical and legal steps involved.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting a can for my GO TO rifle. It's already threaded in 1/2x28 and has a standard A2 flash hider installed. I already decided I'll be going with 5.56 M193 55gr ammunition because of my 1/9 twist barrel. I realize I could save money and go steel cased but I'd rather take it easier on the extractor (even though I know it can take it). There's better QC on the PMC X-Tac over the Tula anyway (unless I'm wrong). My question is...do I really need to get the sub-sonic stuff? Does it make a big difference? Also, how much more per round are we taking here? Lastly, how much does this impact my effective range / fragmentation?

I now realize, having this all typed out, that I may be asking more than I should. I have a good chunk of sources that give me answers to some of these questions but I ask here for more of a consensus. Essentially, I'm asking to be sold or talked out of this. Haha. Thank you!

I already have a legal NFA Trust set up. I know all the technical and legal steps involved.
View Quote

Subsonic .223/5.56 is pretty uncommon. It won't cycle your rifle and will be marginally more powerful than a .22LR. When it comes to suppressing most centerfire rifles (300 BLK excluded), you pretty much have to live with it being loud. Even so, it'll be much more pleasant than unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I figured as much in reference to the sub-sonic ammunition. I remember seeing a Hickok45 video a while backing showing the difference between sub-sonic .223 and standard .22LR when shooting a propane tank. The end result was the exact same dent, with the exact same lead splash and the complete lack of penetration. Thanks for your input. That cements my first question. Looks like I'm going to overlook sub-sonic ammunition. My second question is also answered by your confirmation that it's much more pleasant to shoot standard M193 suppressed. My third question is irrelevant at this point, haha. My last question though...how would my M193 ammunition be impacted with respects to effective range and fragmentation? Is it marginal or something to really consider? Also, is the price tag for the suppressor REALLY worth a slightly more pleasant shooting experience? Thank you for the information!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subsonic .223/5.56 is pretty uncommon. It won't cycle your rifle and will be marginally more powerful than a .22LR. When it comes to suppressing most centerfire rifles (300 BLK excluded), you pretty much have to live with it being loud. Even so, it'll be much more pleasant than unsuppressed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There would be no noticeable impact on range or penetration. Accuracy should not change much either. Outside of reducing the report and concussion of the shot, the next biggest advantage would be a decrease in muzzle climb or felt recoil.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
All good things to know. Looks like I'll be adding some new property to my NFA Trust. Thanks a million!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There would be no noticeable impact on range or penetration. Accuracy should not change much either. Outside of reducing the report and concussion of the shot, the next biggest advantage would be a decrease in muzzle climb or felt recoil.
View Quote

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top