Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/1/2015 8:05:33 PM EDT
SGAmmo recently got a shipment of Yugo steel-cased ammo.  I'm sure many of you, like me, didn't know they ever made steel cases.  Does anyone know if they made the steel cases themselves vs imported them?  

Some relevant links:

Ad for ammo at SGAmmo

Thread about this ammo and how SGAmmo had to go through the cases to find which ones were brass vs steel cased.

2013 thread describing the different wooden case markings for brass vs steel-cased ammo.

This is the ammo in question:

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I had always seen brass case Yugo. I learned something today.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had always seen brass case Yugo. I learned something today.
View Quote

Yeah, I feel like my world has been turned upside down.  

Actually, I'll check downstairs because now that I think of it I may have steel-cased Yugo blanks.  I'll post pics if I do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the Yugoslavs made steel cased ball and blank ammunition in several calibers. It is only in the past five years or so have I seen it in shooter quantity..previously they only turned up as collector specimens. IIRC they were only made by Prvi Partisan (ppu or Cyrillic nny).

1DD
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, the Yugoslavs made steel cased ball and blank ammunition in several calibers. It is only in the past five years or so have I seen it in shooter quantity..previously they only turned up as collector specimens. IIRC they were only made by Prvi Partisan (ppu or Cyrillic nny).

1DD
View Quote

Thank you!  Here are the pictures I promised:

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw that ad earlier this week, didn't dawn on me that the steel ammo they were sorting out was also Yugo production (read corrosive).

Even at today's prices brass Yugo M67 is still a pretty good deal, but unless the steel Yugo comes out cheaper I'll probably pass on that. Not that it's not a good deal, but GT is almost as good, and cheaper.
Yugo is 30 cents/round, in brass the closest thing is Red Army Standard brass @ 50 cents/round.
Last posted prices for GT in the smallest (100 round) lot was 23.5 cents/round.

yea, I know GT isn't available right now, and Yugo is still hotter. But when GT comes back (and it will, this I believe) I can buy it $100 at a time, I gotta scrape up $400 for more Yugo. Although, when GT does finally show up, I'll probably spend that much anyways.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be pissed if they sent me steel cased ammo for that price. Way over priced.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Are those blanks for use with the Yugo practice grenades?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#8]
No. Yugoslav grenade blanks are brass cased and have a longer neck with a wax tip seal. Very rare, collector type cartridges since they were generally only packed singly with the grenade.

1DD
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool find.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
They used steel up until after Clinton had the factory bombed. After that - new equipment - new brass cass.

Our company deals with PPU with non ammo related items and I asked them about a box of these I had.  They didn't have any in their factory museum as they were blown up.  They damn near offered me anything I wanted to get the box from me.

I had them take $10 our next order and they were so happy they shipped them for free.  I ended up sending them some 8mm and 7.62x54R steel cased blanks in 20 round commercial boxes later on. (Hanson brand)
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Prvi Partisan manufactured steel and brass cased ammunition concurrently. It was not a situation of one or the other. Cartridge collector checklists and specimens from my personal collection confirm this. The steel cased 7.62x39mm ball production was  limited to only a few years in the early 1980s but steel case blank production continued after that. They had already discontinued production of steel cased 7.62x39mm for a decade when Clinton got involved in the Kosovo war...

1DD
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Your right.  I completely forgot about the old Hansen line and the other Century / .mil contract rounds they made on that line.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No. Yugoslav grenade blanks are brass cased and have a longer neck with a wax tip seal. Very rare, collector type cartridges since they were generally only packed singly with the grenade.

1DD
View Quote

I'm going to have to dig this up, but, IIRC, a company was selling some ammo that sounds like that.  I have 100 rounds or so.  I will find it and get a picture up.  I know it is brass-cased and I recall a Yugo headstamp of some sort.  Don't know about the wax.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top