Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/19/2015 11:31:50 PM EDT
During Google surfing today, I came across this high velocity 7.62x39.
Compared to standard ak rounds it's lighter and faster (supposedly).

7.62x39mm RBCD Performance Plus 112gr BMTSP is currently being sold for over 2 bucks per peice!

I wanted to know more about this round but wasn't able to find a credible information about it; I tried.
So,

1. Is the claimed velocity 3100fps along with 2400 ft lb energy true?
2. How is the accuracy compared to standard ak, still 2 MOA ?
3. Is it really detrimental to the rifle? How is the recoil?

If anyone knows or has shot this round, please tell me what's up with it.
And please let's not bring about the 37gr sabot round. I'm strictly talking about 112 gr one.
Also, let's keep the topic strictly to this bullet because the only point of this topic is to know about the bullet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
First I have heard of it.  Some brief googling and it looks really interesting.  In for peoples testimonials.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be curious as well considering 7.62x39 has a crappy BC; I think as tested, the M67 yugo is actually on the slower end, 2300fps, as well as the more accurate 7.62x39 out there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
That sounds like snake oil to me. You are not going to get 3100fps out of the x39 with a decent bullet weight. At least not at safe pressures. And certainly not in an AK.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sounds like snake oil to me. You are not going to get 3100fps out of the x39 with a decent bullet weight. At least not at safe pressures. And certainly not in an AK.
View Quote

100%.

Dropping 11 grains and gaining 900 fps?

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They may have said the pressure difference is negligible, I heard.
Its 2 dollars per round...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

100%.

No, 700 top. Not 900

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%.

No, 700 top. Not 900

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
RBCD are the "blended metal" LeMas bullet people if you want to look into them.  I haven't heard of this particular round though.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, 700 top. Not 900
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%.

No, 700 top. Not 900

700fps is probably closer to some form of reality, assuming the 3100fps number was tested out of a longer than 16 inch barrel (which the majority of published numbers are).

Last year, I tested 29 different types of 7.62x39 and got an average fps of 2263.9fps out of a 16 inch barrel. Some (Tula, PPU) actually make their published numbers out of a 16 inch, but most fall into the 2200fps range.

I'm curious (dubious) on their claims. Considering a 120gr 6.5 Creedmoor (out of a 24 inch barrel) has a muzzle velocity of 2910 fps.

When I get done with grad school in a couple of months, I plan to restart the publishing of my testing. I will buy some of this and include it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC the Czech reduced range training ammunition clocks in at around 3100-3200 fps at the muzzle. Hollow core, 62 gr. someone correct me if I'm mistaken, just going from memory...

1DD
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC the Czech reduced range training ammunition clocks in at around 3100-3200 fps at the muzzle. Hollow core, 62 gr. someone correct me if I'm mistaken, just going from memory...

1DD
View Quote

Is this obtainable? Where can I know more about this round?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

You are better off buying the standard 122-125 grain x39 ammo. The ammo mentioned by 1DD has little use beyond the "Gee-Whiz" factor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
RBCD 9mm Performance Platinum Plus. 60 grain Total Fragmenting soft point. Horrible accuracy, so I dissected a bullet. below the soft nose was a round plastic pellet that tried to make up the volume of the bullet jacket. The only real weight was the lead nose cone, and the jacket itself. As the plastic pellet only touched one point on the bottom and side of the projectile, and of course the nose plug was formed over the pellet, strange things occurred as the projectile was forced down the barrel. NOT impressed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

7.62x39mm RBCD Performance Plus 112gr BMTSP is currently being sold for over 2 bucks per peice!

I wanted to know more about this round but wasn't able to find a credible information about it; I tried.
So,

And please let's not bring about the 37gr sabot round. I'm strictly talking about 112 gr one.
View Quote

If you had even a working understanding of guns and ammunition you would know that if you keep the pressure constant but use a lighter bullet, that bullet will go faster. A faster bullet hits with more energy but being lighter deducts some from energy. The claimed data could be true or not true. Accuracy depends to a great extent on quality construction of the bullet. I doubt that this round would damage the bore with its speed. Because of equal pressure to regular ammo, recoil probably would be the same.
I once knew an excellent reloader who liked to play around with loads/bullets. I have shot some of his fast loads based on 7.62X54 with a 110 grain bullet and some other trick stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you had even a working understanding of guns and ammunition you would know that if you keep the pressure constant but use a lighter bullet, that bullet will go faster. A faster bullet hits with more energy but being lighter deducts some from energy. The claimed data could be true or not true. Accuracy depends to a great extent on quality construction of the bullet. I doubt that this round would damage the bore with its speed. Because of equal pressure to regular ammo, recoil probably would be the same.
I once knew an excellent reloader who liked to play around with loads/bullets. I have shot some of his fast loads based on 7.62X54 with a 110 grain bullet and some other trick stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So,

Sorry, I only have a working understanding of chemical engineering. Rest is mystery.
It's great to know that you knew an excellent reloader. But I would really appreciate if you could tell me about the bullet that RBCD sells, not about 7.62x54R or factors that determine bullet speed, or your doubts..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So,

A faster bullet?

4  g (62  gr ) SS109 FMJBT940 m/s (3,100 ft/s)1,767  J (1,303  ft-lbs )
4.1  g (63  gr ) DM11 FMJBT936 m/s (3,070 ft/s)1,796  J (1,325  ft-lbs )

Sorry I know what your point is just the basis pf you statement goes against the rules of physics. You can sacrifice velocity for energy and come out ahead in energy, if your pressure has to stay below a minimum.

All cartridges have a sweet spot for energy, when a safe pressure is mandatory.
I did know some guy pushing 357 super magnum so fast they were flying apart when they left the barrel, good times before you know better.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The most common bullet weight militaries using the 7.62x39mm is around 123 or 124 grains going about 2300 fps. This is for a reason. Just take this fact as a clue as to what is best.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The most common bullet weight militaries using the 7.62x39mm is around 123 or 124 grains going about 2300 fps. This is for a reason. Just take this fact as a clue as to what is best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
I went ahead and calculated some values.
If my calculation is correct, the ammo should punch out at 50%+ extra pressure to achieve 3100fps with 112gr.
The sabot round, light 37gr, actually only requires 3/4 the pressure that a standard ak round exerts.
To achieve 3100fps at the same pressure that the standard exerts, the bullet has to be about 72gr.
A 72gr 7.62x39 Can be manufactured and should be a fun round to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good point.
If my calculation is correct, the ammo should punch out at 50%+ extra pressure to achieve 3100fps with 112gr.
The sabot round, light 37gr, actually only requires 3/4 the pressure that a standard ak round exerts.
To achieve 3100fps at the same pressure that the standard exerts, the bullet has to be about 72gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

'Sorry I know what your point is just the basis pf you statement goes against the rules of physics. You can sacrifice velocity for energy and come out ahead in energy, if your pressure has to stay below a minimum.'

You're right - I shouldn't have worded it like a constant.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top