Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2015 11:40:53 PM EDT
Golden Tiger is my usual Go-to ammo, but with how hard it is to get now I'm looking for alternatives.

How does the lacquered Brown Bear compare to GT? Is it also boat-tailed? I'm mainly curious how it compares terminally

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, GT is maybe the only commercial combloc ammo that uses a boat-tail bullet.

Brown Bear is excellent ammo though, very accurate in all my rifles and very consistent. I shot the tightest 3-shot group in my life using Brown Bear .308 out of a Remmy 700 sps.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Brown bear is good to go. I've shot a ton of it
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Brown Bear is GTG, but don't expect anything more from it than you would Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, yeah I've bought before and was pleased with how it ran; clean and fairly accurate.

I was just wondering what to expect from it as far as terminal effects, and whether it's worthy of stashing for long term vs what I have left of Golden Tiger. I like to rotate ammo as I buy it, and shoot what's older to keep it fresh.

I'm just wondering if GT is really thaaat much better than the other options more available right now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I always keep the GT in the back for long term storage, just because of the case & neck seal. GT is the only brand I can say for sure has a boat tail projectile, I remember reading a post that someone claimed they had another brand with a boat tail slug, either one of the Red Army offerings or some no name white box ammo, but never saw a pic so it's just a legend.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always keep the GT in the back for long term storage, just because of the case & neck seal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have an Academy local and you're not buying in half-case or larger quantities, Monarch is re-branded Brown Bear.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you have an Academy local and you're not buying in half-case or larger quantities, Monarch is re-branded Brown Bear.
View Quote

In my area if you're buying ammo a 20 round box at a time it's the best deal going.
One of my local Academy Sports actually had a full spam can of 7.62x39 but couldn't tell if it was Barnaul production (Monarch/Brown Bear) or Tula. But cost/round for a 1k tin was actually slightly more than per 20 round box.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
is the Brown Bear sealed at the case and neck like GT ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
is the Brown Bear sealed at the case and neck like GT ?
View Quote

No.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top