Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2015 10:45:53 AM EDT
My MAK 90 fires most all generic 7.62x39 3-4 moa.... But the Hornady 123gr SST fires much smaller groups.... enough so that it makes me wonder what other ammo I should be trying.

I would like to be able to afford Lapua... but that is not happening... I have ordered some GECO boxer brass cased. And hope to get better then average accuracy.

Anyway, what ammo do you use for the best accuracy from your AK 47 ?

Please include approx. group size for generic ammo and your specific accuracy ammo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Golden Tiger is pretty good in the imported steel-case category. I doubt if you'll find anything better than the Hornady without spending a ton. I didn't post any accuracy results because the request was not very wise. What good does it do you to know specifics of how somebody else can shoot their rifle? Suffice it to say in my shooting experience with 7.62X39 over many years I found GT to be very good compared to all the other ammo I had tried.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I, apparently, can not seem to find the tack driving AK's that everyone else will post about but most steel cased 7.62x39mm will get around 5 MOA (Barnaul mostly) with odd lots of things being worse (Tula mostly). Vympel seems to do a bit better but I can't say there would be statistical significance to that. The best shooting I have noticed have been the old South African surplus, East German, and M67 which all would get into the solid 4 MOA range or maybe a touch under. That is about the best I have ever had an AK do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
One thing I realized I wasn't doing prior to accuracy testing was , a through barrel cleaning.

I did realize that I had rarely , if ever , thoroughly cleaned the bore.

I use  Brownells JB Bore cleaner and Bore Brite.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx

Also the front Handguard needed to be looser on mine, when it was tight / snug it would alter the barrels harmonics and never let it settle back into the same position.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
GT seems to be consistently the best of all i've tried, it's what I always zero a new rifle with. But my nicest shooter will do almost exactly the same groups with pretty much all ammo, even some 154 gr. SP stuff i've got.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Award for best steel goes to Golden Tiger. After that anything from The Barnaul factory.
Best brass cased ammo for me is a tossup between Hornady and surplus Yugo M67, and Hornady in 7.62x39 is too expensive for my tastes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Some lots of Chinese ammo shot really good for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sellier & Bellot works well in my Russian SKS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yugo M67.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I did an informal accuracy test of Wolf Military Classic, Brown Bear, and Golden Tiger last time at the range. I shot a 10 round shot group from the prone for each brand with iron sights at 100 yards. Wolf Military Classic had the smallest grouping with Golden Tiger coming in 2nd. Brown Bear was the worst by far. I will do a more formal test once my Arsenal SM-13 is delivered and the PA 4X is available, maybe sooner with a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5 with both 5 shot and 10 shot groups. This is just a guesstimate, Wolf was 2-3 moa, Golden tiger 3-4 moa and Brown Bear 4-5 moa.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Define accuracy?

Any ammo I have used has shot the same out of my guns. Minute of man or maybe a little better. I have no issues hitting the plate at 100 or hitting some clays on the back berm with a redot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My MAK liked white box Ulyanovsk best.  I don't see any labeled as such anymore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Gt and yugo for me shoot identical groups from my 56s. The only difference is yugo shot more to the left same elevation though
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Lapua is supposed to be some of the best but it is pricey and hard to find.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I can tell you which ones have the most consistency in construction and velocity.

Accuracy? That's up to you and your rifle to decide.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top