Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2015 9:56:45 AM EDT
Getting ready ready to purchase a WASR 10 AK.  There always talk about steel case ammo.  Which over all is the better steel case ammo to go with.  I have 480 rds of Tula that was given to me but want an idea of what to buy later for the AK.  Also, what sized ammo can will hold 1000 rds each confortably for 5.56 and 7.62 x 39.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Getting ready ready to purchase a WASR 10 AK.  There always talk about steel case ammo.  Which over all is the better steel case ammo to go with.  I have 480 rds of Tula that was given to me but want an idea of what to buy later for the AK.  Also, what sized ammo can will hold 1000 rds each confortably for 5.56 and 7.62 x 39.  Thanks
View Quote

Better asked in the AK forum.  I find that whatever is the cheapest that works is good enough.  A .50cal can works fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever is cheapest...it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, there's not really much difference when it comes to plinking.

Tulammo can be a little inconsistent, but nothing major.

Wolf (all varieties) and Brown Bear are a little better.

Herters is rebranded Tula; Monarch is rebrand Brown Bear.

Red Army Standard seems to vary depending on where it was manufactured: Ukraine = gtg; Romania = not so good; Bosnian = very good (but brass-cased, so far more expensive).

Golden Tiger is excellent, but don't hold your breath waiting for it to come back in stock.

TL;DR - whatever is on sale!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as ammo cans, it depends on who the ammo is boxed. Tulammo, older Wolf (black box and Military Classic), Golden Tiger, etc. will fit 50 boxes/1k rounds to a .50 ammo can. Newer Wolf WPA and Military Classic are packaged differently, so you'll need something bigger to hold 50 boxes. A fat .50 may work; an MTM model AC11 can will definitely work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Some guys have had issues with HP's so you may not want to splurge on those till you find out they'll feed okay. I know I had failure to feed issues in a Draco with HP's but none of my others had issues.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top